cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vlevenfeld
Journeyman III

debian: xorg & catalyst updated, opencl no longer finds GPU

I recently upgraded to the latest AMD drivers (13.1) after prolonged suffering and now clGetDeviceIDs no longer finds my GPU.

I updated Xorg first, which broke, and after I purged the earlier AMD drivers from my system (they did not purge completely, no matter what I tried, I had to uninstall the old and install the new with --force) I installed 13.1.

I couldn't open Catalyst because of some libGL.so.1 issue, so I used aptitude to install anything fglrx-related (I selected NO when prompted to overwrite my manual installations - actually it was from the .run script provided on the AMD site).

Finally the display works again, but now OpenCL is not working properly.

What can I do?

0 Likes
6 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Are u connecting remotely?(ssh)

0 Likes

No I am interfacing directly with the machine.

0 Likes

Probably, you have messed up the driver installation somehow. Try out a clean install.

Uninstall the driver using http://askubuntu.com/questions/78675/how-do-i-remove-the-fglrx-drivers-after-ive-installed-them-by-h...

Ok, I just have one follow-up question: in the directory which contains fglrx-uninstall.sh, there is also an ati-uninstall.sh. What is the difference?

0 Likes

I dont know...but fglrx-uninstall is what I run to un-install.

0 Likes

You can check that by seeing their contents. As i understand fglrx-uninstall is the actual uninstall script. amd-uninstall calls this internally. amd-uninstall also provides some options like (--force , --help etc) to aid the user.

Message was edited by: Himanshu Gautam

0 Likes