cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

laobrasuca
Journeyman III

Crash when removing AMD GPU from system

Originally posted by: sschuberth Well, all I can say is that it worked for me without uninstalling the NV drivers. I can't recall for sure whether a reboot was necessary.

Have you double-checked you're not limiting your device enumeration to GPUs?

i give up! rebooting or not, it does not work! I've uninstalled everything (SKDs and display drivers) and installed piece by piece in any possible order. When installing the AMD SDK only, the AMD platform is recognized with CPU device. After this, installing the NV display driver (with or without NV SDK), makes the clGetPlatformIDs call crash. Renaming the ati*.dll in the register will allow me using the NV platform (GPU only) but not the AMD's (as u said above). The GPU is not in the 1st PCI-E slot, but i'm not sure it would change anything if I install it in the first slot... If you have any other idea, please share... (win7 x64)

0 Likes
jeff_golds
Staff
Staff

Did you have the ATI Catalyst driver installed?  If so, then it sounds like you are hitting the issue referenced above.  You can either uninstall the ATI driver (a pain if you change cards a lot) or rename the module that is crashing, then restore the name before you swap cards again.  For me, it was sufficient to rename atigktxx.dll to atigktxx_.dll, I believe.

Jeff

0 Likes
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

hi jeff, well, no, i don't have the Catalyst installed, the AMD card is not pluged-in. It is a pain, yes, for the install/reboot/uninstall/reboot, plug-in, take out, etc.... as the OP i do also do benches, its really helpfull to run the kernels on both architectures, you improve lot of things that are not viseable in one or in the other card. real pain, yes it is! hope in the future things will get more homogenous, without needing all these extra manipulations (well, the end user will not care about it, but the dev guy will, oh yes, he will...)

0 Likes
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

@jeff: what does the atigktxx.dll ? Why have you renamed it? And where? In the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder?

0 Likes