cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

jch
Journeyman III

Controlling calclCompile() behavior

Did you have compiled with SCOption_BIAS_SCHEDULE_TO_MINIMIZE_INSTS or SCOption_BIAS_SCHEDULE_TO_MINIMIZE_REGS?

Today, I'll test speeds.

0 Likes
empty_knapsack
Adept II

I've tried these options but didn't notice any visible difference in code size or speed.

0 Likes
hazeman
Adept II

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow empty_knapsack, there is currently no interface to provide options to the shader compiler. It is something that we are working on and I am hoping to add it to an upcoming release.

Any news on this subject ?

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

Other items are higher priority at this time, so it is not likely to happen.
0 Likes
hazeman
Adept II

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Other items are higher priority at this time, so it is not likely to happen.

So any bigger/more advanced OpenCL/IL kernel is supposed to be much slower or at least there are plans to improve IL compiler so it doesn't remove function calls ?

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

hazeman,
We are working on that, but the design of IL makes allowing function calls extremely difficult to get correct.
For example the following kernel:
float4 image_read_and_compute(image2d_t type) {
read image, do something and return result
}

kernel void image_compute(image2d_t type1, image2d type2, global float4 *val) {
val[get_global_id(0)] = image_read_and_compute(type1) * image_read_and_compute(type2);
}

Since the resource ID/sampler ID of the image is in the instruction, generating code correctly for image_read_and_compute is difficult.

We are moving closer to a solution, but it isn't easy to get correct.
0 Likes