Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

noah_r
Journeyman III

Control placement of OpenCL compiled products. /tmp alternative

Hi,

I'm using the AMD APP SDK 2.9 for OpenCL use on AMD CPU on a very large cluster machine.   A very strange delay that grows with the number of nodes utilized has me looking into possible file system contention with how the clBuildProgram products are saved to /tmp in the linux implementation.

Is there any way to override this behavior so that I can specify a different storage path for the build products?  I tried setting the environment variable TMPDIR on my local Ubuntu machine.  The .so and .cl build products were still created in  /tmp.    Is there another technique to do what I want?

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies
jason
Adept III

on linux/freebsd, another work around provided you don't store too much data there is to use tmpfs.  This is a filesystem backed with ram instead of disk so it is very very fast and contention shouldn't be an issue.  Of course now your tmp is not persistent  across reboots which is something some people don't like.

0 Likes

jason, my question is how to use a different file system or path?  I have no control over what /tmp maps to.  Is there a way to direct the AMD APP SDK to use /tmpfs, for example?

0 Likes

That's why I said work around that would remove the issue you have, I also don't know if it respects any settings.  To clarify tmpfs is mounted as /tmp.

0 Likes