cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

endoerner
Adept I

clinfo (and any OpenCL code) segfault with AMD CPU only machine

Hi, I am trying to run OpenCL code on a new "mini-cluster" machine (4 x AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6380 (16 Cores)) and I obtain the following error when the

clGetPlatformId() function is reached:

Setting of real/effective user Id to 0/0 failed

FATAL: Module fglrx not found.

Error! Fail to load fglrx kernel module! Maybe you can switch to root user to load kernel module directly

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have tried both AMD APP SDK v2.8 and 2.9 without success, the machine has not AMD GPU (only a Matrox one), and I would like to use meanwhile

the AMD CPUs before buying a proper GPU for OpenCL development. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
12 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

HAve you installed the new catalyst which is supporting 2.9 or 2.8 properly in your system?

Please provide us the system information like CPU, GPU, BIOS, OS  etc

0 Likes

I have not installed catalyst because I do not have an AMD GPU, although I will surely buy one in the next weeks.

CPU: 4 x AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6380 × 15

GPU: VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

regards

0 Likes

Then probably fglrx is not installed properly. Please check for its installation and here are some steps for it

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+T to open up the terminal. 
  2. Run sudo apt-get update, type your password, then hit enter. 
  3. Run sudo apt-get upgrade 
  4. Install any packages that report that they weren't installed. You can do this by running sudo apt-get install PACKAGENAME 
  5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until no packages are installed by step 3 and no packages report that they weren't installed. 
  6. Run sudo reboot

And you're done! fglrx should work as intended.

0 Likes

I tried your steps without success... but what I cannot understand is why OpenCL complains about the fglrx module, if I do not have an AMD GPU card installed ?

I am sure that if I try to install the fglrx module with a Matrox GPU card I will kill my system...

0 Likes

no clue with this problem?

0 Likes
potski
Journeyman III

yo dude,

i got your back. What are you trying to do with opencl?

Dude. openCL its meant for GPUs.

Are you gonna calculate something?

Matrix cards are only for display in 2013 at least.

Let me know what your doing and i can help. even tho i suck at linux. obviously not as much as OP tho.

reg,

PoTski

0 Likes

I just wanted to use OpenCL on the cluster in the meanwhile... of course I will buy a GPU

0 Likes
Anteru
Staff

You could try to build packages using fglrx for your distribution (i.e. using the official binary driver installer), and then only install the fglrx-dev package, which contains the OpenCL runtime.

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

Let me revive this thread by saying I have the very same issue with Ubuntu 14.04 and 2 AMD R9 280X (Pitcairn) GPUs. It doesn't matter if I use the .sh installer or download the pre-built .deb packages. The result is the same. /etc/OpenCL/vendors is populated with correct .icd files containing the names of the implementations that are part of ld.so.conf files, so they should be able to lead at runtime. All OpenCL samples and clinfo as well segfault.

I did a clean of the system and the only libOpenCL.so is that provided by the driver itself (Crimson) and that installs under plain /usr/lib (not the nicest place to install under Ubuntu)

ldd /usr/bin/clinfo says that it is linking against libOpenCL.so, which is reported to be provided by fglrx-core (dpkg -S /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1). /dev/ati/card0 and card1 exist and seem to have proper access control (rw-rw-rw). There is no X installed on the machine, hence I can't run the .sh installer plainly, just generate Ubuntu/trusty packages. If I run it with --install, it complains that it cannot determine the version of X.

Any help?

0 Likes

Check if you have /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default installed https://community.amd.com/message/2685179#2685179

0 Likes

I do, and it is a fairly long file.

0 Likes

Hi,

Latest Crimson driver, 15.302, and every single driver since Catalyst 15.101, have a nasty memory corruption in libamdocl.so that can crash any program linking against it at any time. It's a fairly random segfault. I have the valgrind report in another thread Memory corruption in latest crimson driver 15.302?

Nikos

0 Likes