cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

maxdz8
Elite

cl_amd_device_attribute_query - can you revision?

As a lot of my experience stems from OpenGL back when it was a decent API, I'm all for extensions. I cannot wait to have GCN shuffle somehow exposed.

A problem which I have experienced some time ago was to uniquely identify vid cards. It was difficult. I did see something regarding topology but that was not sufficient to me, plus it wasn't exposed in the windows driver at the time.

Today, I somehow found cl_amd_device_attribute_query... and I find it borderline silly.

Important things first.

Return the topology for the device:
  CL_DEVICE_TOPOLOGY_AMD                          0x4037

Wow cool. No idea what this is. Sure, I can hook up to AMD APP and speculate it will return the same thing as cl_amd_device_topology but seriously at least drop a line noting this in rev 4. Even better, just deprecate cl_amd_device_topology completely and have a proper spec.

Similar for CL_DEVICE_BOARD_NAME_AMD, which one speculates to be as cl_amd_device_board_name in behavior. I'm really positive to experiment things with extensions but I don't recall reading anything so rushed up in the years I've used GL. Is ATi still a thing BTW?

I have to take note there's no temperature probing. It would have been nice.

Please allocate a couple of hours to do a rev 4.

0 Likes
2 Replies
george72
Adept I

Yes please, could we have full documentation on the type each query returns? Should just be a copy & paste from the actual code, right?

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Massimo and George,

Thank you both for your suggestions and feedback. I'll forward these requests to the appropriate team.

Regards,

0 Likes