Journeyman III

Catalyst 11.10preview2 is broken

Thanks, Micah!

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Well, let's return to original problem.
I just tested app behavior under Win7 x64 + Catalyst 11.11 - the same, app returns incorrect results with this driver too.
When we can expect fix for that or some workaround suggestions ?
0 Likes
FrodoTheGiant
Journeyman III

There is a fix. It is called NVIDIA.

My company decided last week to dump AMD and switch to NVIDIA.

AMD is simply to unreliable when it comes to serious GPGPU computing.

0 Likes
CaptainN
Journeyman III

2 FrodoTheGiant:

Can you stop hysterics?

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Catalyst 11.11 is broken too

Originally posted by: FrodoTheGiant

There is a fix. It is called NVIDIA.

My company decided last week to dump AMD and switch to NVIDIA.

AMD is simply to unreliable when it comes to serious GPGPU computing.

Unfortunately, it's not solution in my case:
1) last NV drivers (270.xx and UP show same CPU time increase as AMD's one. And looks like 285.xx produce incorrect results on Quadro GPUs, though they produce VALID results on all other tested GPUs).
2) I write program that should be used mostly on already bought GPUs. To enable them to participate in world largest project of distributed computations called SETI@home.
Regarding new GPUs - it's quite known over our boards that if one want to make good progress he should buy nVidia GPU for SETI, not AMD GPU.
IMO AMD lost money in 10^5 $ scale. maybe more (maybe less, I'm not interesting in economical computation) by ignoring SETI.
nVidia was kind enough to provide programming support so we have "stock" CUDA app at least, and continuously working to improve it.
From AMD side I see mostly driver degradation (now it even can't perform correct computations, not speaking about increased CPU time).
It's very sad, cause AMD (ATI) hardware could win in SETI area, we already have very fast application for one type of computations, but requirement to install quite old drivers repels most of gamers who wnat to have as new drivers as possible...
AMD's software (in particular, driver) division makes very bad joke over hardware one negating all their achievements!
Needless to say about disgusting software support of most advanced AMD hardware.
I have tester with 2 HD6990, 2-core GPUs. He barely can use them. So, how we can make high-performance computational clusters based on AMD GPUs?...
Definitely all new hardware purchases will go with nVidia mostly.
But there are many AMD GPUs bought already... SETI community donated me HD6950 GPU to improve appication for ATI GPUs... and I still can't use whole its power being restricted with 11.2 drivers that will freeze whole system if I open (for example) YouTube link accidentally on that host...

AMD, time to think about your drivers, really. You lose money, you lose reputation (hence you lose money again). BattleField3 compatibility - it's not all that users want....
0 Likes
NURBS
Journeyman III

$10^5 is spared change to AMD. If the rumors are real, the loss of their contract with Apple will be significant. If you guys have worked for a big corporates, AMD engineers are and should be spending more time on Indeed than fixing anything. Why? Fixing bugs won't prevent you from layoff. What we need for OpenCL to succeed are killer applications used by consumers.  

I feel bad for engineers being axed, but not for the corporates making dumb decisions.   

0 Likes
FrodoTheGiant
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: Raistmer

Needless to say about disgusting software support of most advanced AMD hardware. I have tester with 2 HD6990, 2-core GPUs. He barely can use them.

It is really a slap in the face for those users spending big money on dual GPU cards like the 5970 or 6990 - and then can't use them because AMD doesn't support them, drops support or breaks drivers.

How would anyone trust AMD again?

Why would anyone every buy a high-end AMD GPU again based on that history of scorched earth they have with existing users?

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Originally posted by: NURBS

$10^5 is spared change to AMD.

Maybe I'm wrong on few orders of magnitude 😉

Accordingly to boincstats SETI@home now has 3,034,351 hosts.

If only 0.1% of them can be equipped with AMD GPUs it will be 3*10^3 hosts.
If each such GPU costs $100 it will give 3*10^5. But if 1% would be equipped with AMD GPUs we easely will have $3*10^6.
Taking into account that (currently SETI project down for maintenance but after few hours everyone can see top hosts by himself) our top participants have multi-GPU hosts it really can be smth like 10^6 or more.

But I don't think that this issue affect only this single app. So, driver should be fixed anyway.
0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

Frodo has already stated that his company decide to shif from AMD to NV. If he isn't working for MS, Apple or some other big company, AMD really doesn't have to care (taking into account 10^5 $ is small money). It is one sad, true story like many others.

I am lucky enough to work at a research center and not at a company which is very result-oriented. I have the luxury to keep ever experimenting with alternative methods and not use factory standards.

Long ago I convinced people to invest money in a multi-GPU development node, used for exploring multi-GPU applications on AMD side. 3X HD5970 is a lot of money for a small hungarian research project. I have my faith in AMD engineers, who create kick@ss HW, but as Raistimer has sad, it is all negated by the poor drivers. I really hate people when they write in full capitals, or when people are vulgar, but as a good friend of mine said: vulgar has it's place:

Two damned GPU generations have passed (having HD7xxx just around the corner), and our 3X HD5970s ARE STILL NOT SUPPORTED!! Really... is AMD really serious about that?? Even if I have my faith in AMD, how should I convince others to invest money in it? Let me try to guess what comes into Frodo's mind: "NOHOW! Do a favor for everyone and keep them away from AMD!"

Unfortunate for AMD, I believe I can achieve more if I keep on pushing AMD, and either keep showing it's impotency, or it's merits. It is all up to "you".

And for the higher ups. Please-please-please Micah, Genaganna or anyone else who reads this. Do convey these comments as quotations. Not summaries, or some light version, but word by word:

Dear AMD,

you're going to your doom if you keep on like this. 2 ****ing years for a GPU to be supported?? By the time I can leverage my HW, it is surpassed by competition mid-class. INVEST MORE INTO SW DEVELOPMENT!! A LOT MORE!!!!!!

Regards,

a fan.

Edit: and don't get me wrong. This is not an advice... this is an ultimatum from the users (developers) as a collective.

Edit2: Not to mention I opened a topic concerning a rather fatal bug of Kernel Analyzer over 3 weeks ago, and I still got no response from anybody, although I'm pretty sure that at least one person knows where KA stores data that has to be cleaned after reinstall.

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

Since the topic has been idle for a while now (don't know if my previous post was really that effective, or people just simply lost interest in dising QoS), I though I would post how can one waste a complete day with installing linux.

... ... ... I wanted to write a little short story, to put things nice, and not just btich about things that don't work, but as I was thinking, I figured there's really no point, so I'll just make it short: 11.11 fails even to launch Ubuntu desktop 80% of the times. The desktop simply freezes just a few seconds after the background is shown and the mouse could be moved for a while. Naturally this prevents remote rebooting, as most of the times, the computer will not beable to boot.

For other reasons, I got fed up with Ubuntu, so I installed SLC5 (Scientific Linux CERN, a Red Hat based distro), and after installing a few stuff and restarting the computer in between, after udev has been loaded at boot time and the GUI boot window would be opened, the screen changes resolution (very noticable on the CRT monitor in the computer room), and then ust stays blank and boot halts, just like on Ubuntu (10.04.3, both 64-bit). I have done this twice already (I thought it was the fault of trying to get auto-login working, but even after undoing changes with a live Ubuntu stick, it still fails to boot).

If I pull the computer out of the rack, I got myself a 3000$ doorstand. Or I could heat my office with it...

What is the conclusion? Life would be much better, if I could install a headless node, with no GUI whatsoever and be able to use the GPUs without having to use this crap XServer which crashes at every second corner. Yet again, one thing the community has been asking for over a year now.

Peace.

0 Likes