cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

levyfan
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

can gpu do both kernel execution and buffer read/write at the same time/cycles?

suppose i call clEnqueueReadBuffer and clEnqueueNDRangeKernel, and they both do not wait for any events, and no blocking read/write.

my question is: will the amd gpu hardware do both of the instuctions at the same time, or sequentially one after another?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tzachi_cohen
Staff
Staff

Re: can gpu do both kernel execution and buffer read/write at the same time/cycles?

AMD HW will perform copy operation and kernel execution simultaneously provided the following terms are met:

1.) OpenCL SDK 2.6 and above .

2.) Set environment variable GPU_ASYNC_MEM_COPY=2.( The feature is currently in preview mode.)

3.) The copy and kernel execution commands should be set on different OpenCL queues.

levyfan
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: can gpu do both kernel execution and buffer read/write at the same time/cycles?

Can events in different OpenCL queues be synced?

my problem is like that:

a gpu kernel function A

a gpu kernel function B must wait for A to complete

a read buffer function C that read the result from A

the code structure is something like that:

for (...;...;...) {

kernel function A;

kernel function B;    // B must wait for A

C = read buffer from A;    // C must wait for A, and i would like C and B execute together

if (C == ...) {    // the host judge whether to continue the loop or break

break;

}

// and in the next loop, A must wait for the previous loop to be completed

}

how the code should be written on different OpenCL queues?

and another question is that: the execution time of A and B on gpu is around 1ms, but the time they waiting in the queue to be executed is around 1ms too. i flush the queue but it does not work. how can i code my program to perform better?

0 Kudos
nou
Exemplar
Exemplar

pass event returned from enqueue of kernel A as wait event to enqueue B and C. you must also have all queues in one context.

0 Kudos
levyfan
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

so B and C should be set on different OpenCL queues, right?

0 Kudos