Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cuorematto
Journeyman III

CAL SDK 64 bit

Hi Michael i have downloaded the latest 64 bit version of CAL SDK v1.0.beta
When i try to compile the hellocal example all go O.K, but after compiling when i click Debug..> start without debugging i will receive this error message
D:\windows/system32/cmd.exe
1applicazione.exe..unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because AMDCALRT.DLL was not found.
re..installing the application may fix this problem.
I have setting the inviroment variable correctly with cal..example64.vprops
What to do ?
0 Likes
16 Replies

Hi cuorematto,

I have seen a similar behaviour internally on our lab machines and I checked on our internal bug tracking database and it may already be fixed for the next release. I'm getting confirmation on that.

But, what I discovered works for me is to point at the 32-bit versions of the libraries for now.

Give that a try and see if it works.

I'll let you know the moment I find out the prognosis from the CAL team.

Michael.
0 Likes

Nothing to do Michael i have tried just now to set the enviroment variable to cal_samples instead of cal_samples_x64; but i receive the same error message.
Now i try to copy the amdcalrt.dll into the samples directory and test what appear.
Stay tuned
0 Likes

No nothing i have the same error message. The amdcalrt.dll is located into lib directory, but i cannot understand where visualstudio search this amdcalrt.dll file
i have copied even into include directory ; but nothing change i have ever the same error message.
0 Likes

Hi cuorematto,

If you link against the 32-bit versions of the library during compilation as well as running, does that work?

I'm still working with engineering to figure out the problem.

Michael.
0 Likes

Michael the compilation work perfectly if i set the enviroment variables
with cal_samples.vprops or with cal_samples_x64.vprops; but after compilation
when i click ( Debug..> start without debugging ) i will receive the same error message
D:\windows/system32/cmd.exe

How to link against the 32-bit versions of the library during compilation ?
0 Likes

Use the non x64 vprops files to link against the 32 bit libraries.

Then, go to your environment variables and change the system PATH so that instead of pointing to lib/x64 it points to lib/x32.

Restart MSVS and it should work.

I think this may be something that has been fixed for the next release, but I'll inform the CAL team to make sure they check the 64-bit sample builds.

Michael.
0 Likes

I just realized that I've been doing my tests on Win XP 64 using "Release" "Win32" on the MSVS toolbar.

Set your PATH back to x64, restart MSVS and then make it "Release" "x64" instead.

See if that helps... It worked for me just now.

Michael.
0 Likes

No Michael i am not able to go working the hello_cal example i receive ever the same error message ( D:\windows/system32/cmd.exe
re..installing the application may fix this problem. )
I have tried to get the cal_sample.vprops instead of cal_sample_x64.vprops
and linking the 32bit libraries instead of 64bit libraries; but i receive ever this error message ( D:\windows/system32/cmd.exe
re..installing the application may fix this problem. ).
I hope in a future version this will working without issue.

0 Likes

Hi, can you please check a few things and provide us with some additional information?

- What OS are you running?

- Which version of AMD Stream SDK did you install? For Win XP 64, i imagine you installed the 64 bit SDK from here http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/sdkdwnld.html . (Please bear with us for now and uninstall the previous CAL and BROOK installations if you decide to do a new install).

- Do you have an environment variable called CALROOT? Does it point to your CAL installation directory? (My CAL got installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\AMD CAL 1.00.2-beta\ -- so i need to have an env variable called CALROOT whose value is C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\AMD CAL 1.00.2-beta\ ).

- Do you have the CAL lib directory in your Path? (In my case, my Path should be C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\AMD CAL 1.00.2-beta\lib\xp64;...(other paths) ).

Do let us know if setting the CALROOT and Path env variables help.

0 Likes

Hi this is my configuration
In visual studio 2008 if i click on PROJECT ....>NAMEAPPLICATION PROPERTY PAGES(ALT+F7)
CONFIGUARATION PROPERTIES GENERAL....>INHERITED PROJECT PROPERTY SHEETS D:\PROGRAM FILES(X86)\AMD\AMD CAL 1.00.2-BETA\CALSAMPLS_x64.VPROPS

C/C++...>GENERAL...>ADDITIONAL INCLUDE DIRECTORIES D:\PROGRAM FILES(X86)\AMD\AMD CAL 1.00.2-BETA\INCLUDE

LINKER...>GENERAL...>ADDITIONAL LIBRARY DIRECTORIES D:\PROGRAM FILES(X86)\AMD\AMD CAL 1.00.2-BETA\LIB\XP32 ( NOTE: if i set this to lib\xp64 i will receive a lots of error messages during the compilation process; if i live to lib\xp32

compilation go fine but if i click on DEBUG ...>START WITHOUT DEBUGGING appear a dos like black window system32\cmd.exe
and a error message D:\windows/system32/cmd.exe

What to do ?
0 Likes

cuorematto,

I don't want to speak out of turn but I don't believe that 2008 is officially supported, that is try using 2005. Even in 2005 I had trouble building with DEBUG, I had to build with RELEASE.
0 Likes

Hi ryta i don't want install visual studio 2005. I wait for an upgrade with improvements and issue resolve
0 Likes

Hi ryta1203,

Thank you very much for following up with cuorematto! You are absolutely correct, MSVS 2008 is not yet supported (but is on the roadmap... I'll escalate its priority).

Hi cuorematto,

I apologize for the inconvenience! As ryta1203 posted, MSVS 2008 is not yet supported but will be in a few releases. I'll see what I can do to get its priority bumped up (cleaning up the Linux support has been our top priority so far). In the meantime, I understand that you do not want to install MSVS 2005. However, if you wanted to experiment with AMD Stream SDK in the interim, you should be able to download the free MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition from Microsoft's website. I have tried this on some examples and it should work as well. You just need to install
the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK as well to get a couple of Windows header files and point your include and library paths at the Platform SDK directories.

You can download MSVC++ 2005 Express from:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa975050.aspx

You can download Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downl...B398A3&displaylang=en

Michael.
0 Likes

Thank you Michael , thanks Ryta, thanks udeepta. I wait for a new release, and waiting for R700 chip.
0 Likes

udeepta,

I am using WinXP 32-bit.

I have the 1.00.2 Stream SDk installed

I have the environment variable and path set

All of the "samples" compile fine but I am having LNK2001: unresolved external symbol errors for any CAL call

Any suggestions?

EDIT:: For anyone interested, I had to add "$(CALROOT)lib\xp32\amdcalrt.lib" to the Project Properties->Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies box, so far so good.
0 Likes

Ryta1203, glad you got it working. Perfect solution.

FYI for everyone interested:

When you open AMD CAL 1.00.2-beta\samples\samples.sln, look at Project Properties->Linker->Input->Command Line , the project should link with amdcalrt.lib and amdcalcl.lib . If the libs are not there, please add them as Ryta1203 did above.

0 Likes