cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

sharlybg
Adept II

Re: Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

I think and it's true, blender, vray, indigo, users are ready to make some sacrifice include upgrade hardware for new AMD R9 series! but we need better support maybe the best one !if AMD want to solve the bug for GCN ok ! but we need to see good performance !

currently NVIDIA opencl implementation is 5X faster than AMD opencl when it come to full GPU render engine. IF it work as we need some Nvidia user will change too.

sometimes we think that AMD don't want to make money :

nvidia don't wait to be implore by consumer before fix their driver bug in minor wrong.

but why AMD do that with so big bug ?

Zalamander  answer to other blender user:

The new upcoming Mac Pro with 2x AMD/ATI FirePro 6GB seems like a very nice workstation but since ATI has no cuda it's no love

Just wait for it to actually come out, Apple develops the drivers on Mac OS, so maybe there's a better chance to get it to run on there.

In the best of worlds Cycles would run great on both ATI/Nvidia.

In the actual world we live in, the market is there to ensure competition. What you people need to do is to buy NVIDIA GPUs and let AMD know that you jumped ship because of their incompetence. AMD has then the opportunity to get their affairs in order, if they value you as a customer - or they can decide to just abandon that segment of the market.

0 Kudos
cusa123
Adept I

Unfortunately it seems that amd does not care morot render in gpu is something not quite understand but good. If amd is focusing on api mantle and other good things do not know if that can help improve but from what I see is not very likely. So far amd says nothing about whether it is possible to render in 3d so far not known. Amd Hopefully someday realize the market is lost. It is also rare to see conferncias OpenCL but do not talk about real-time engine cycles and OpenCL as if some company is willing to help. But at this point amd should pay to have it so you could say that at least there is a render engine working well, and I'm not saying do not do LuxRender but not the same

Desgraciadamente me parece que amd no le importa el morot de render en gpu es algo que no comprendo del todo pero bueno. Si amd se esta centrando en api manto y otras cosas bueno no se si eso puede ayudar a mejorar pero por lo que veo no es muy probable. Asi que hasta la fecha amd no dice nada sobre si es posible renderizar en 3d  hasta la fecha no se sabe. Esperemos que amd se de cuenta algun dia el mercado que se pierde. Tambien es raro ver conferncias de opencl pero no hablan sobre motor en tiempo real opencl como cycles y si alguna empresa esta dispuesta a ayudar. Pero a estas alturas amd deberia de pagar para tenerlo asi se podria decir que al menos hay un motor de render trabajando bien, y no digo que luxrender no lo haga pero no es lo mismo.

0 Kudos
cusa123
Adept I

New Blender UI - The Proposal - YouTube

Apparently it's a disappointment to see blender running only nvidia and improve incredibly high now with a new form ui. Now I think this is the last opportunity for in sneak amd gpu with gpu in 3d at least in blender. I think that in a short time came at least in blender reach max and other 3d Sutudio but disappointment for users from using network can only use nvidia is more intel I think are also trying to ride your gpu in blender more excited than the amd, and that takes less years intel about what amd and nvidia and win this poiendo passing were the best amd before happened?

Aparentemente es una decepción ver blender solo funcionando con nvidia y ahora de colmo mejoran increiblemente con una nueva forma ui. Ahora bien creo que esta es de las ultimas oportunidades para las gpu de amd en colarse con las gpu en 3d al menos en blender. Pienso que en muy poco tiempo blender llegara al menos en alcanzar a 3d sutudio max y otros pero es decepcion para los ususarios que solamente podemos usar nvidia es mas creo que intel tambien estan tratando de hacer andar sus gpu en blender con mayor excito que las de amd, y eso que intel lleva menos años con respecto a lo que amd y nvidia y le esta poiendo ganas que pasa amd antes eras el mejor que paso?

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

When you said NVIDIA implementation is faster,

Can you tell me which 2 GPUs you are comparing? And what is the test that you are doing?

I can convey the slowness problems to AMD again,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
sdar
Journeyman III

Just try Blender Cycles...

An old Q9550 Intel processor can beat the Amd 7950 Boost using OpenCL.

Example:

Mike pan BMW blender model at 128 samples 512x512 tiles

Blender 2.69RC

CPU OpenCL  2m 01s

GPU OpenCL  2m 19s

An i7 would be better than an old core2quad btw.

0 Kudos
ironsoul
Adept I

Hello, I can confirm that nvidia is significantly faster than blender. The usual standard test for performance is to open up a file created by Mike Pan, configure the render device (to be the GPU), don't change any other settings and render out an image.

Included in the file are his results from both his CPU and GPU. His gpu used is an Nvidia GTX 570.

Not only is the GTX 570 faster, but the render is also correct. You can get the file for testing here: http://mikepan.com/files/BMW1M-MikePan.blend

But for convencience, this is the time the GTX 570 achieves:

Time: 0 min 53 seconds (GPU - CUDA)

Time: 0 min 53 seconds (GPU - OpenCL)

Here's the time my Radeon HD 7970 with the 13.10 beta drivers installed (and a recompiled cycles kernel) achieves:

Time: 4 min 12 seconds (OpenCL of course)

And here is what it looks like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14178839/Picture%20Share/797013.10drivers.jpg

I do not want to criticise AMD here. I am here to provide useful feedback and information and will do my best to ensure the information I provide is accurate. Please correct any mistakes I may make.

0 Kudos
sharlybg
Adept II

himanshu.gautam a écrit:

When you said NVIDIA implementation is faster,

Can you tell me which 2 GPUs you are comparing? And what is the test that you are doing?

I can convey the slowness problems to AMD again,

Thanks,

Tested on blender Cycles =============>>> full bench are here======== http://oenvoyage.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/becnhmark_by_gpu.pn

it seems that AMD compiler don't work well with big kernel like cycles and Vray

Nvidia GTX 570 ========================>> 57 scs

Nvidia GTX 560 ========================>> 1.38 min

We are Cg artists some are working for product Viz with accelerated render engine/some for 3D movie creation/ some for game creation / some for arch viz. we are the same artist that make game look beautifull. So AMD must not only care About Gamer and let this market share in Nvidia hands.

it's good to said that you are 7fps more faster in battlefield than Nvidia. But when people want to buy or change GPU TODAY they are not looking only game performance. we are looking for ::::::>>>>

1/ overall performance

2/ game performance

3/ GPGPU performance

4/ Features values

5/ Price

6/ MORE to Understand ======= SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY like in Adobe===>> it's make no sense to have good GPGPU theorical performance and no software to show it.don't think that Bitmining will save things.

AMD is happy (and we are happy too) to blow out Nvidia in Luxmark benchs but how many production render engine (with all material, texture and features support) show this amazing power in GCN in action ????

0 Kudos
cusa123
Adept I

untitled.jpg

I found the problem and is to have two monitors went off one or the disable works seamlessly both gpu or cpu is the same problem. No problem if catalyst or LuxRender. Catalyst 13.11

0 Kudos
mano-wii
Adept I

To get an idea of the importance of fixing this problem, the architecture firm where I work was recently purchased 2 expensive Cards competitors, when I asked why not buy a AMD Radeon HD 7990 the answer was: "It does not work for renderings."

I do not know if they were right, but because the problem with Blender Cycles, I could not contradict.

I still believe that it is a driver problem because after limiting the render settings in Blender Cycles, and wait hours compiling kernels, the next time I try to render starts immediately. This is because Blender saves a cache with all the Kernel settings already compiled for the AMD card.

Thanks for the work.

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

sdar says AMD 7950 takes 2 min 19 sec for MikePan.

Ironsoul says AMD 7970 takes 4 minues 12 seconds for MikePan.

Not sure, what to interpret here..

I have passed on all of your feedback (including Sharlybg, Mano below) to AMD.

I think they are working on improvements.

You can expect improvements in future -- but I cannot commit anything here.

Let us hope for the best.

Thanks for all your feedback,

I hope things will change for good in future,

Cheers,

Bruhaspati

0 Kudos