cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

sharlybg
Adept II

Re: Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

13.10 beta v2 is a gaming focused driver !

it's very very sad very hard to wait so long !

0 Kudos
afree10
Journeyman III

I just realised that this is actually an error in the development build of blender that pops up in addition to the frontend compilation error (which I got when I commented out the functions involved (well one was in the source code itself that insists on using the VC9 C++ Standard Library so I didn't comment that out which may have contributed to the frontend compilation)). So that may not even be AMD drivers fault (I don't know enough about OpenCL to know if casting a float4 (no doubt a OpenCL version of vec4 in disguise) is illegal) (it may just be a work in progress).

0 Kudos
sharlybg
Adept II

Hello Himanshu gautam ! please tell us did they still work on opencl issues ?

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Now that Blender compiles fine, the compiler team is working to make it still more better - possibly reduced IL size etc...

Meanwhile,

Can you guys work on optimizing your code for AMD GPUs? - now that the code compiles....

-

Bruhaspati

0 Kudos
sharlybg
Adept II

Can you guys work on optimizing your code for AMD GPUs? - now that the code compiles....

Yes Blender devs can do that but the opencl driver from AMD isn't ready ! why I said this:

when rendering a medium scene in blender cycles on a GPU using only opencl Nvidia card get 4X times the speed of radeon : for example the mike pan BMW bench scene results for opencl are following:

OPENCL GTX 570 = 54 secs

OPENCL HD 7950 = 3.48 min

two GPUs both use opencl but this is ours sad life. There is Lot of busness to do here the concerned is not only blender Cycles but all programme using opencl today and all potential software that use CUDA but can change like Adobe.it is about AMD reputation about Kaveri futur to. If Opencl get faster than CUDA under cycles all Nvidia owners will change their card for AMD .

please please please please please please plesase please  fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix this this . oooh god god is it someone to understand what is happening to us ?

0 Kudos
sharlybg
Adept II

Please what'is IL:

reduce IL size.

0 Kudos
gbilotta
Adept III

IL means "Intermediate Language". It's a step between the C language in which the kernel is written and the actual binary (compiled assembly) that the device executes. A more compact IL representation of the kernel would offer a number of advantages among which faster compilation, better optimization opportunities and less chances of producing buggy code.

0 Kudos
sharlybg
Adept II

himanshu.gautam a écrit:

Now that Blender compiles fine, the compiler team is working to make it still more better - possibly reduced IL size etc...

Meanwhile,

-

Bruhaspati

Yes we get cod improvements in blender 2.69 (in 2.68 the app crash during materials editing but the bug get fixed in blender 2.69 )

today i've doing some test of blender 2.69 RC1 and catalyst 13.10 v2:

1/ Cycles dn't crash when editing material in rendering preview mod GPU compute (but blender 2.68 will crash in the same condition)

2/

When CPU is selected as compute device ( prefernces=>systeme ) and rendering done via GPU mod the rendering get 35% faster but the CPU run 100% during rendering (it's like GPU+CPU rendering). It is the same way like CUDA GPU rendering mod work.When you run cycles with a Nvidia GPU the CPU load go from 90% to------- 100%.  GPU tahiti (opencl device tahiti) = 3.04 min GPU tahiti (opencl device i7 2600k) = 1.54 min Intel i7 (opencl device i7 2600k) = 3.07 min

3/ But running Cycles with Tahiti+i7 2600k as compute device lead to a split screen rendering bug.but blender will not crash.

0 Kudos
sharlybg
Adept II

himanshu.gautam a écrit:

Now that Blender compiles fine

Blender compile only on AMD 7XXX serie card but all others series uncounter the same issue of compiling and hight memory usage !

Look at this recent comment from blenderartists user:

Cmk24:===============================================>

When I try to compile the opencl kernels on my GPU the process runs fine for a few mins and then my memory usage jumps to 16GB (all the RAM I have). After several hours it was not done compiling the kernels, and my RAM usage was still at 16GB. Is it normal for compiling process to use this much RAM?

I have played around will commenting out some of the kernels in the kernel_types.h file and found that it is the image texture, procedural texture, and extra nodes kernels that cause my RAM usage to go up to 16GB. When I comment these three out my memory usage maxes out around 8GB, and the remaining kernels compile in ~15 mins. Has anybody else seen similar behavior?

My system:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870 with 1GB VRAM (running ccc 13.11 beta drivers)

CPU: AMD FX 8350

Memory: 16GB DDR3

Blender: 2.69 RC1

0 Kudos
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

This is true.

GCN is the way forward and people should probably start migrating to GCN cards.

If you are waiting for AMD to fix Blender for older cards, you may be in for a disappointment.

I cannot confirm...but most probably it will be so.

It will be in the best interest of your time -- to migrate to GCN if you want Blender on AMD cards.

More improvements are on the way....for GCN.

We are also expecting the Blender developer community to optimize their kernels for GCN - where it makes most sense to do so.

Thanks,

Best,

Bruhaspati

0 Kudos