Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

npm1
Adept II

Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

Dear Opencl Developer

Why doesn't the AMD opencl compiler work with blender cycles?

whenever i compile the blender cycles kernel, the system either crashes due to lack of memory, or takes too long to compile the blender cycles kernel(which thereafter comes up with the following error:

opencl build failed:errors in console

calclcompile failederror: creating kernel_ocl_path_trace failed!

can't open file c:\tmp\5688.blend@ for writing:no file or directory

).

When is AMD opencl compiler going to work properly with blender cycles?

Why can't the AMD opencl compiler developers test their compiler against blender cycles?

Seasons Greetings,

npm1,

PS i am as well as others(i assume) are considering to make a switch from AMD GPUs to Nvidia.

371 Replies
cusa123
Adept I

Since that time amd has drivers that work with cycles completely?

AMD FirePro

________________blender opencl.PNG

Desde que momento amd tiene controladores que funcionen con cycles totalmente?

0 Likes
tolga9009
Adept II

Okay, for everyone new in this thread (and for AMD): Blender with full feature set still isn't working with the latest AMD drivers. This is not the Blender Devs' fault, but due to the ineffiency of the AMD compiler. It still doesn't compile the same OpenCL code, which the Nvidia OpenCL compiler and Intel OpenCL compiler can compile without any error. A blenderartist forum user reported his OpenCL kernel sizes: 2.9MB compiled with Nvidia OpenCL, 18MB with AMD OpenCL. And the worst thing is, we don't get / have ANY information, what's the cause and when it will be fixed. We're only asked to wait... For about more than a year now. So, everyone who is into GPGPU: please avoid AMD - at least until this is fixed. We don't get any attention from AMD, this is just frustrating... I still hope, that OpenCL 2.0 might fix this issue. But again; this is just wild speculation and we don't even know, whether OpenCL 2.0 will be available for our actual GPUs (HD5870 - HD7970) or not. Again: please avoid AMD for now, until this is completely fixed and big kernels are fully supported.

2.9MB kernel code? that is a lot and it can really hurt performance. if you read AMD OpenCL programming guide they are advice you to keep your kernel size under 32-64kB size (not sure exact number but it is size of instruction cache) otherwise the performance can be greatly degraded. problem is that cycles is using big monolithic kernel which is not good for GPU at least for AMD one. but that is just my assumption which doesn't need to be accurate, from what I read from different sources.

0 Likes

Well, I'm not talking about performance - that's probably the Blender Dev's work. OpenCL is very fast with other applications, so it's definitely the work of the Blender Devs, to optimize the code for AMD hardware. What I'm talking about is, that AMD's OpenCL compiler is super inefficient. The same code, which compiled with Nvidia's compiler is ~3MB compared to AMD's 18MB. This is about 6 times more! Also, the code doesn't even compile, with full enabled features, due to AMD's compiler limitations. Only, if we disable features, we are able to run Cycles (the advanced features are disabled on default with the latest Blender releases). Again, I'm not talking about performance, I'm talking about successfully compiling and running Cycles with full feature set. We will tackle performance, after the code compiles. The compiler doesn't crash due programming errors, but due to the "Insufficient Private Resources", which is a compiler-related error.

As for the big vs modular kernel: for rendering engines, monolithic kernels are industry standard. Modular kernels are getting more and more unmaintainable, as the feature-list grows (this is also something, LuxRender Developers are facing!!). Commercial Renderers like Octane are facing the exact same problems as Cycles does. It simply doesn't compile. Also, you can't split up a feature infinitely, there is a minimum. And what if that minimum also exceeds AMD compiler limits? AMD needs to fix this problem. Nvidia (GPU) and Intel (CPU) have no such issues, so why AMD (CPUs and(!) GPUs)?

This issue isn't about performance or only Cycles. It's about supporting big (oversize?) kernels in general.

It's really sad, that no AMD official, no Developer, no Blogger can give us ANY information about the current status, that's what makes me really frustrated. Himanshu asked us to wait, what now? Wait a year again?

@sharlybg, cusa123: Thank you for your LuxRender input. However, LuxRender isn't Cycles. It doesn't have the same features (Hair support? Material node support? Integrated realtime viewport in Blender?) - the output is not the same, due to different algorithms. Also, LuxRender is not compatible with Cycles. So you have to re-setup all your materials to make LuxRender work. I don't want to start a LuxRender vs Cycles war, but LuxRender is not a solution for this problem. The primary goal of this thread is getting AMD to fix their compiler, not a LuxRender vs Cycles discussion. I will use my CPU (Intel - hehe) until AMD fixes this...

himanshu.gautam: I appreciate ANY news. Even if you say "No news"; just reply to this thread, so we know, that you guys are still reading this thread and / or you are living !

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Also the problem is not taken into account by amd to pose a solution. So far the only one that can run it, others like LuxRender (spectral studio, Indigo render) are those that can be hacercar but with many more problems. It may be a bad move by amd "leave the industry 3d render engine."
It's a shame architects, designers, engineers prefer Nvidia. Amd is red in this sense either any kind of information gives me wonder if the hd 7000 series could support OpenCL 2.0. But so far no news that can not go ademasamd are not announced his plans. As I said before Amd is just to play.

_______________________________.

Igualmente el problema no es tomado en cuenta por amd para plantear una solucion. Hasta el momento el unico que puede correr es, luxrender otros como (spectral studio , Indigo render) son los que se pueden hacercar mas pero con muchos problemas. Puede ser una mala jugada de amd " abandonar el sector de motores de render 3d".

Es una pena arquitectos, diseñadores,ingenieros prefieren Nvidia. Amd esta en rojo en este sentido tampoco se da ningun tipo de informacion me gustaria saber si la serie 7000 hd podria soportar opencl 2.0. Pero hasta ahora ninguna novedad  que pueda salir ademasamd no lo anuncia no estan en sus planes . Como dije antes Amd solo es para jugar.

0 Likes

I can understand the frustration around cycles and AMD opencl ! But what i can't understand is why Blender artists owners of Radeon dn't take seriously alternativ render engine Like LUXRENDER. currently I use lux GPU mod to render very high quality image . I will make a special tutorial about luxrender and GPU rendering . Lux have great optimisation :

1/ instead of a huge monolithic kernel like cycles luxrender one is modular and this is very efficient for gpu accelerated App .

2/ luxrender run on AMD & Nvidia

3/ very realistic unbiased

4/ lux have a CPU + GPU mod

5/ run fast on AMD

6/ Viewport realtime rendering  soon in luxrender 2.0

My last pictures!

file.php?id=19915&mode=view

0 Likes

Sharlybg have no idea where it goes or what conditions this LuxRender 2.0. Also if you happen not to create materials but is much more complicated than cycles. Besides that you can not translate to Spanish or some other language. Not much about it but if you want we can work on something for LuxRender is a little more friendly. Also enter Blenderartist and angry because I told them I did not come to amd cycles and if so will be extremely slow. My idea is that blender is strongly influenced by nvidia and cycles is not fully OpenCL and it seems unfair that people do not give any blenderartist hand and hate. In what could help in lux without programming I forward.

Sharlybg  tienes idea de cuando sale o en que condiciones esta luxrender 2.0. Ademas  no se si te pasa pero al crear materiales es mucho mas complicado que cycles. Ademas de que no se pueda traducir a español o algun otro idioma. No se mucho del tema pero si te interesa podemos trabajar en algo para Luxrender sea un poco mas amigable. Tambien entre en Blenderartist y se enojaron porque les dije que cycles no llegara a amd y si es asi sera extremadamente lento. Mi planteo es que blender esta fuertemente influenciado por nvidia y que cycles no es totalmente opencl y que me parece injusto que la gente de blenderartist no le de alguna mano y que lo odian. En lo que pueda ayudar en lux sin ser programacion voy para adelante.

0 Likes
2afir
Journeyman III

A year has passed and it seems that the problem remains unresolved. It's frustrating after all, we bought our more or less expensive OpenCL supporting cards from one of the most important producer in the world that can not solve this issue for more than a year?!

cusa123
Adept I

You can deploy tressfx blender 2.0?. Another query tressfx 2.0 no demo available for viewing on herb mode, and would be interesting to see.

Very happy and developers Amd 2014!!!!

Es posible implementar tressfx 2.0 a blender?. Otra consulta tressfx 2.0 hay demo disponible para ver en modo hiervas, ya que seria interesante verlo.

Muy feliz año 2014 Amd y desarroladores!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes

Thanks for your patience.  I have reported this issue to the compiler team.

The compiler is being upgraded to target Blender cycles and other very large kernels. 
Unfortunately, I cannot provide a timeline.

0 Likes

When did you reported the issue? cause it's a well know issue since, at least, early 2012

Thanks for reporting this. There is a known issue where extremely large kernels will not work on our implementation. This is a design flaw of our intermediate language and will not get fixed anytime soon. I will look into this issue to see if this is the same problem.

Micah Villmow
Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

and Himanshu gautam did already said that the issue has been reported early in 2013:

We are looking into this issue. After repro, we will forward to the right team.

Thanks for your patience. We can get this working together.

So the news are that there's no news, sadly.

0 Likes

Sdar commented that you do not get mad, but apparently the agenda amd 2014. I do not think blender cycles focus on this year begins the "mantle battle" consoles. This high priority since I read it before and so far have not given us anything. I think it will be more like delusion and very few really are what we think amd could get something for 2014 cycles unless mantle can help. I also think that this forum amd is not the best place to raise doubts in this 3d style. It is very difficult to be able to help in this regard or amd field render realtime 3d, Si does not give answers "any kind" I repeat of "any kind"!. I really want to help to see RenderMonkey eh tried, but I think it is starting from here that amd stopped paying interest, not how to help but I think I give up.

______

Sdar te comento que no te enojes, pero al parecer la agenda de amd 2014. No creo que se enfoquen en blender cycles este año empieza la "batalla mantle" consolas. Esto de prioridad alta ya lo lei antes y hasta el momento no nos han dado nada. Pienso que sera mas desilucion y como veras somos muy pocos lo que creemos que amd podria sacar algo para cycles 2014 al menos que mantle pueda ayudar. Tambien pienso que este foro de amd no es el mejor lugar para plantear dudas de este estilo 3d. Ya es muy dificil de poder ayudar a amd en este sentido o en el campo del render 3d en tiempo real, Si no da respuestas de "ningun tipo" repito de "ningun tipo"!!!. Realmente quisiera poder ayudar hasta eh tratado de ver RenderMonkey, pero creo que es apartir de aca que amd dejo de prestarle interes, no se como poder ayudar pero creo que me rindo.

0 Likes

I'm not sure what are you trying to say, neither English or Spanish version of your post, if you want to say that amd will fight against consoles with mantle you are wrong, both consoles (ps4 and xbox) uses AMD hardware already so there's no need for amd to fight against their own partnerships, They are already using their own low level apis and both microsoft and sony has no intentions to use mantle, but as i say this is not a big deal for amd cause they powered both consoles with their hardware.

Mantle could "fight" against DirectX but there's no real need for it cause it's only compatible with AMD GCN cards and developers are not going to drop Nvidia Intel and even Amd users with non-gcn cards so DirectX / OpenGl are going to be in every game out there for those users.

Anyway as stated by John Carmack Opengl plus Nvidia extensions can give similar improvements over directx and now that SteamOS is out Amd must try to fix their linux drivers and OpenGL performance to match Nvidia performance or even surpass it mantle could be a nice Opengl extension in near future but is not a deal breaker.

I don't know what's the AMD agenda for the year but we have waited enough, and as i stated a few times "This bug is not only affecting Cycles" and in my opinion converts a firepro S10000 in a extremely expensive paperweight.

No estoy seguro de lo que quieres decir ni en ingles ni en español, Si lo que dices es que Amd va a luchar contra las consolas este año utilizando mantle vas mal encaminado, Ambas consolas (ps4 y xbox) utilizan hardware de amd así que amd no necesita luchar contra ellas ya que son sus socios.

Las consolas ya están utilizando sus propias apis de bajo nivel así que no necesitan mantle pero como ya he dicho eso a AMD no le afecta puesto que ambas consolas están utilizando su Hardware de todas formas.

Mantle podría "luchar" contra DirectX pero en realidad no tiene sentido ya que los desarrolladores tienen que dar soporte a usuarios de Nvidia, Intel e incluso usuarios de AMD que no utilizan gráficas GCN por lo tanto DirectX u OpenCL seguirán existiendo en todos los juegos para poder dar soporte a lo que son una mayoría de usuarios.

De todas formas tal y como dijo John Carmack "OpenGL con extensiones de Nvidia consiguen una mejora similar sobre DirectX a la que mantle sugiere", y ahora que SteamOS ha sido lanzado Amd debería intentar mejorar sus drivers de linux y el rendimiento de Opengl para poder competir con Nvidia, Mantle sera un buen comienzo introducido como extensión en Opengl pero Nvidia ya tiene sus propias extensiones que harán que la lucha este muy igualada.

No se cual es la agenda de AMD para este año pero creo que hemos esperado bastante y como ya he dicho antes unas cuantas veces "Este Bug no solo afecta a Cycles" y en mi opinión convierte una FirePro S10000 en un carisimo pisapapeles.

0 Likes

What I mean is that amd has to start creating optimizations for the new consoles. And if you do not want a failure as "3dfx Glide" will have to put everything if that does not happen the same. Like if I do not start lifting firepro head in the professional field and even Nvidia intel iran is the eating by little. Amd I think at this stage should focus on the drivers and took new gpus now, when the hd 7000 came in 2012 had a long time without gpus. I think we should have a year now drivers. one year and one with gpus drivers. I think this year amd has to be a priority Mantle and OpenCL optimizations. I would like to see some day cycles in amd, arion render or better octane render. "FirePro S10000 on a very expensive paperweight"'re right also saw the promotion of OpenCL amd blender cycles in the web?

Lo que quiero decir es que amd tiene que empezar a crear optimizaciones para las nuevas consolas. Y si no quiere un fracaso como "Glide de 3dfx" tendra que poner todo de si para que no le pase lo mismo. Pienso igual que si la firepro no empieza a levantar cabeza en el campo profesional Nvidia e incluso intel se los iran comiendo de apoco. Creo que amd a estas alturas deberia centrarse en los drivers ya sacaron gpus nuevas ahora, cuando salieron las hd 7000 en el 2012 tuvimos un largo tiempo sin gpus. Pienso que deberiamos tener un año ahora de drivers. un año con drivers y otro con gpus. Pienso que este año amd tiene que tener como prioridad Mantle y opencl optimizaciones. Quisiera ver algun dia cycles en amd , arion render o mejor octane render.   "FirePro S10000 en un carisimo pisapapeles" estas en lo correcto tambien viste la promocion de amd opencl blender cycles en al web?

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

I'm sure that Kaveri with it's HSA and Huma could change thing ? If blender get some improvement for HSA support I'm almost sure that the A10 7850 k will be faster than a i7 4770 k. But i think that Kaveri will allow blender cycles to use full power of GCN Gpu .

But we need to Know if this is possible or if developper are ready for such thing !

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

Any news ?

Where are tired !

still wait !

0 Likes
gtype
Journeyman III

That's it, I'm changing to nvidia. It may seem like I am an entitled whiny kid, but in fact I waited far too much time for a situation which had no excuse to exist in the first place to be resolved, and it hasn't. Bye

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

AMD where are you ?

Furry ball 4.5  is out with unbiased rendering support only for Nvidia again ! Brigade 3.0 a raytracer game engine is out and here again all demo are nvidia only !.... All the professionnal visual graphics industry are growing without you and you stay narrow-minded toward game only ? No sponsoring for Luxrender dev who make strong effort to show what can be done with radeon card ! Nvidia is everywhere.....

0 Likes

sharlybg amd left us this is clear . Amd IF you put the same approach as it did with mantle would be amazing. Now amd never began to think that the apis dedicated to this field were never taken by the developers ? .

There will be time Hacel what they did with mantle for games with graphical representation for real-time ? .

If I am a user to work with 3d eg an architect , interior designer , engineer, civil engineer, renderer , 3d studios , ect.

They are people who make money with graphs a graph firepro not what you used to claim that a student or Someone 3d world can do.

So you can not only play money is not refundable only games which asiq ue working with graphics can continue to invest in another for a better job, this is the tactic nvidia at this point.

It would be nice to put the batteries in this field if you do not buy it invests .

Some mantle for 3d or something for the developers , would be nothing wrong with something radical . Eh I do not know much lost with amd , amd is like a plastic chocolate flavor. He knows nothing !

sharlybg amd nos dejo esto esta claro . SI amd pusiera ese mismo enfoque como lo hizo con mantle sería increíble. Ahora amd nunca se puso a pensar porque las apis dedicadas a este campo nunca fueron tomadas por los desarroladores?.

No sera momento de hacel lo mismo que hicieron con mantle para los juegos para las graficas con representacion en tiempo real?.

Si soy un usuario que trabajo con 3d ej un arquitecto, diseñador de interiores, ingeniero, ingeniero civil, renderizador, studios 3d , ect.

Son gente que ganan dinero con las graficas una grafica firepro no sirve para lo que ustedes pretenden que un estudiante o alquien del mundo 3d pueda hacer.

Asi que solo jugar puede no  dinero no es reembolsable solo juegos asiq ue el que el que trabaja con la grafica puede seguir invirtiendo en otra para realizar un mejor trabajo, esta es la tactica de nvidia en este punto. 

Seria bueno ponerse las pilas en este campo si no lo tienes compralo, invierte.

Alguna mantle para 3d o algo parecido para los desarroladores, no seria nada malo algo radical. No lo se eh perdido mucho con amd, amd es como un chocolate a sabor plastico. No sabe nada!

0 Likes
jacksparrow
Journeyman III

i am actually an amd fan but i had to buy a new nvidia for blender cycles...i also need more render power, so i will probably buy 2 other nvidia 770 for about 330,-€ each. i gave it up betting amd for taking this rendering issue under cycles very very serius. i think they loose about 10 million dollars/month to nvidia only from this blender issue. i will spend more then 1000$ for nvidia cards that i use only for rendering. why doesn't amd through out those unable-ties from the company that cannot get this issue work and simply take some professional programmers for more money and make much much more money? hallo amd, everybody is really fed up with promises, than please don't ask yourself, why the shares will once go zero. you loose money because of some people in the company. who is responsible for this disaster?

0 Likes
VincentSC
Adept II

Let's wait for the new version 14.1 and see what it does. If it finally works with Blender Cycles, we can finally trust AMD takes the world outside gaming serious and continue making great and new things.

For the compiler-makers: when creating and searching an variations-tree for parallelisation, know that there are various optimisations possible to keep its memory-footprint small. Based on what I read in this thread, I have the feeling you are focusing on the wrong part of the solution (splitting the big kernel in smaller parts) instead of avoiding the creation of the tree in the first place.

0 Likes

Let's wait for the new version 14.1 and see what it does. If it finally works with Blender Cycles, we can finally trust AMD takes the world outside gaming serious and continue making great and new things.

I can't trust a company that need two years to fix a bug anymore. (... it's not fixed yet so it could be more... or just never and we'll have to wait to the open drivers to fix the problem)

0 Likes

VincentSC this is not the day of the innocent. Eu Asiq jokes here are not very good catalyst 14.1 will not do miracles only amd games is what he does.

_______

VincentSC esto no es el dia de los inocentes. Asiq eu las bromas aca ya no son muy buenas 14.1 catalyst no hara milagros solo juegos es lo que se dedica amd.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

The problem is that amd does not understand, could ask more people trained in software such as adobe or any outside company dedicated amd.

This would lead to the final solution or other solution if amd has problems is with catalyst so it would not be wrong to create a new "catalyst 3d" for a more professional environment, as drivers more dedicated to 3d max studio, Maya, blender , daz, LuxRender, mitsuba, yafray and other programs and also in helping render engines.

Implement existing technology in amd amd as ramdisk, tressfx for help 3d representations in real time or better quality 3d creations.

It's a shame to see a company that leaves a huge drift sector is also the intel itself has no dedicated graphics pays attention throughout this country, let alone nvidia.

Hce amd also nothing wrong conventions for games that would not do for this sector.

El problema de amd es que no lo comprende, podría pedirle a gente más capacitada en software, como adobe o alguna empresa dedicada ajena a amd.

Esto derivaria a la solucion definitiva o la otra solucion si es que amd tiene problemas es con catalyst asi que no seria malo crear un nuevo "catalyst 3d"  para un entorno mas profesional, como drivers mas dedicados a la 3d max studio , maya ,blender, daz,luxrender, mitsuba, yafray y otros programas y tambien en la ayuda de motores de render.

Implementar tecnologia ya existente en amd como amd ramdisk, tressfx para la ayuda de representaciones 3d en tiempo real o creaciones de mejor calidad 3d.

Es una pena ver una empresa que deja un sector enorme a la deriva, es tambien la propia intel que no tiene graficas dedicadas le presta atencion en todo este campo, y no hablemos de nvidia.

Asi como amd hce convenciones para los juegos no seria nada malo que lo hagan para este sector.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

I'm sorry for AMD but this behavior is not justified ! they put in their archictecture a big importance for computing they are talking about HSA and OPENCL to fight CUDA and nothing for true opencl acceleration around GPGPU in 3D rendering like Octane Vray Cycles Redshift Keryketheia ...

this a big deal for busness like today many render farm use lot of GPU for 3D rendering. but here only NVIIIIIDIAAAA NVIDIAAA NVIDIAAA NVIDIAAA NVIDIA RRRRRULES THE MARKET ......................

Why why

pffff

ppff

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Sharlybg do not bother I think this forum does not give, but also to have no response from amd. That compensation pordriamos have amd now on if any. Nor do they say if you have any plan of solution for this problem or something.

______

Sharlybg no te molestes este foro creo que no da, para mas ademas no tenemos respuesta por parte de amd. Que compensacion pordriamos tener de amd ahora, en si ninguna. Tampoco dicen si tiene algun plan de solucion para este problema o algo.

0 Likes
VincentSC
Adept II

For me 14.1 is a simple test: can I trust AMD to deliver in 2014, or must I postpone my plans with their hardware to 2015? If it works on Blender Cycles (due to its complexity), it works on many other kernels too. I personally don't really care if it took already 2 years or longer to get this bug fixed - I am interested in the now and the near future.

0 Likes

For me 14.1 looks really good.

The one thing we as blender would need to make it perform more in line with the other big vendors hardware is a ability to tell the pipeline to limit the register usage at the cost of spilling.

Something along the lines of: http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/extensions/nv/cl_nv_compiler_options.txt  and then more specific '-cl-nv-maxrregcount' if we do not use that in our OpenCL of CUDA path's on competing hardware we get a 3-8x performance penalty.

You (AMD) have fixed what seems most of the hard to fix things compared to half a year ago. the compiler can spill registers and it can compile and run our mega kernel. I feel that this would from a technical standpoint be not the hardest thing to implement but it would give us very likely a huge speed-up.

I have commit access to blender and I am available to coordinate and or help tune blender's OpenCL code.

'

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

Thanks a lot lot many kiss kisss now dn't not stop research here go ahead green must cry !.... Now my HD 7970 is 3X faster than my i7 2600. But 30 scs behind the GTX 580. but i know GCN is more powerfull I'm not far to finally add a second GPU hehehe !

PLEASE GUY DN'T STOP HERE NOW !

Blender Next big project is out with a good card to play here for AMD :  GOOSBERRY PROJECT

they need and target :

----There’s also industry interest in OpenCL and GPU technology, High Frame Rate, 4K, stereo (3D), etc.

---- Sharing of internal CPU and GPU computing

http://gooseberry.blender.org/open-source-targets/

0 Likes
sdar
Journeyman III

Indeed 14.1 is a step forward, i hear that is still slower than nvidia but i don't know if they refer to Cuda or Nvidia using Opencl, so probably amd still has some more work to do, but this is a step forward finally.

I have managed to enable almost all features, it seems to be a couple of them not working but now i'm not sure if is a compiler/driver problem or just the results of having the development of Cycles with Opencl halted for so long.

I hope now Blender developers could continue to improve Cycles.

0 Likes

Hi,

I hope 14.1 has done at least something good for you guys....

Lets hope for better numbers down the line.

Best,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for the current performance under 14.1 driver ! But better perf score can be reach ! They must not stop here ! GCN is seriously more powerfull in Compute compared to Kepler and this must be clear in application like blender cycles ! and this will be a good point for APU too ! We expect more from the next Catalyst release !

0 Likes

Thank you so much! I couldn't believe this, until I tested it out personally! So, finally, it's working! I'm getting about twice the speed of my Xeon E3-1245v2, which is really nice. AMD Devs have earned a pizza and our trust now!

Are there any plans to get in touch with ? He made a good point, which probably won't take much manpower to significantly increase OpenCL speed. Also, what are the plans for OpenCL 2.0? Will it work on GCN 1.0 architecture, any news on that?

Again, thank you AMD ;)!

0 Likes
mrperlishells
Journeyman III

I was at CES earlier this year and visited the AMD dome and tent. Talked to Jerry who was next to the display showing a demo of a Blender movie on a 4K display. I asked him about cycles and openCL and he didn't know about it. So I told him about it and how it wouldn't even compile and the development is on hold. He emailed some guys at AMD I see the post already. Hoping to get his hybrid rendering set up. My AMD Test Drive kit is itching for a quick rendering using all CPU, APU GPU, and discreet CPU all at the same time.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

I knew amd gave no importance to hopefully be completed cycles to optimize.

Foul compile the kernel with hair and other features, but now hopefully these optimizations and fixed blender leave the OpenCL graphics amd. What moments do not know linux is seeing the results with catalyst 14.1 quetenga hopefully Exceptional results.

______

Lo sabia amd no le daba importancia a cycles esperemos que se termine de optimizar.

Falta compilar el kernel con pelo y otras caracteristicas,  pero de momentos esperemos estas optimizaciones y que blender deje fijo las graficas opencl amd. Lo que de momentos no sabemos es en linux ver los resultados con catalyst 14.1 esperemos quetenga majores resultados.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

/BMW1M-MikePan.blend

skipping driver '-90*brake', automatic scripts are disabled

skipping driver '90*brake', automatic scripts are disabled

skipping driver '100*power', automatic scripts are disabled

skipping driver '-100*power', automatic scripts are disabled

Compiling OpenCL kernel ...

OpenCL kernel build output:

Error:E013:Insufficient Private Resources!

OpenCL build failed: errors in console

What can be the problem?

0 Likes

juan cusa CUSA123 it's maybe a bad driver installation ! but before all try with another project (other 3D scene)

Try to clean all driver and make a new installation of 14.1 !

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

The problem is that in ubuntu 13.10 eh installed the driver with the newly formatted pc. It goes well in windows, also tube problems with hair. The other weird happens to me is when I run windows and use OpenCL without much trouble but then close the file and reopen it runs slower that possible?. I heard from people eh linux with the games slow down after 40 min and have very controlled temperature theme will be?.

El problema es que es en ubuntu 13.10 eh instalado el controlador con el pc recien formateado. Se que en windows anda bien , tambien tube problemas con el hair. Lo otro raro que me pasa es cuando en windows ejecuto y uso opencl sin muchos problemas pero luego de cerrar el archivo y volver a abrirlo funciona mas lento eso es posible ?. Lo eh escuchado de gente de linux con los juegos que se enlentecen al cabo de 40 min y tienen muy controlado el tema de temperatura que sera?

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

As always amd leaves us speechless, sweet and bitter words. sharlybg maybe wrong driver is installed in ubuntu?. It always gives me a problem Should make packages. Desisntalacion deb installation and direct means is so molesto.Alguien with ubuntu or any distro that will walk blender OpenCL?.

Como siempre amd nos deja sin palabras , palabras dulces y amargas. sharlybg puede que este instalado mal el driver en ubuntu?. Siempre me da algun problema  Deberian hacer paquetes .deb  de instalacion y desisntalacion ,directos asi es medio molesto.Alguien con ubuntu o alguna distro de que le ande blender opencl?.

0 Likes
sono
Journeyman III

Hi, i see some of you mentioning that you have OpenCL enabled with Blender Cycles.  Is this just for developers? or can normal users now enable this in Blender..  I have the 14.1 driver, and blender 2.69 but still can't see a GPU option.

BTW i totally agree GCN is more powerful than Nvidia. I have used OpenCL in a program called Fragmentarium, similar to mandelbulber, and its around 100 times faster than a CPU render for raytraced 3D fractals.   HD7970.

0 Likes