Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

npm1
Adept II

Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

Dear Opencl Developer

Why doesn't the AMD opencl compiler work with blender cycles?

whenever i compile the blender cycles kernel, the system either crashes due to lack of memory, or takes too long to compile the blender cycles kernel(which thereafter comes up with the following error:

opencl build failed:errors in console

calclcompile failederror: creating kernel_ocl_path_trace failed!

can't open file c:\tmp\5688.blend@ for writing:no file or directory

).

When is AMD opencl compiler going to work properly with blender cycles?

Why can't the AMD opencl compiler developers test their compiler against blender cycles?

Seasons Greetings,

npm1,

PS i am as well as others(i assume) are considering to make a switch from AMD GPUs to Nvidia.

371 Replies

himanshu.gautam a écrit:

Now that Blender compiles fine

Blender compile only on AMD 7XXX serie card but all others series uncounter the same issue of compiling and hight memory usage !

Look at this recent comment from blenderartists user:

Cmk24:===============================================>

When I try to compile the opencl kernels on my GPU the process runs fine for a few mins and then my memory usage jumps to 16GB (all the RAM I have). After several hours it was not done compiling the kernels, and my RAM usage was still at 16GB. Is it normal for compiling process to use this much RAM?

I have played around will commenting out some of the kernels in the kernel_types.h file and found that it is the image texture, procedural texture, and extra nodes kernels that cause my RAM usage to go up to 16GB. When I comment these three out my memory usage maxes out around 8GB, and the remaining kernels compile in ~15 mins. Has anybody else seen similar behavior?

My system:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870 with 1GB VRAM (running ccc 13.11 beta drivers)

CPU: AMD FX 8350

Memory: 16GB DDR3

Blender: 2.69 RC1

0 Likes

This is true.

GCN is the way forward and people should probably start migrating to GCN cards.

If you are waiting for AMD to fix Blender for older cards, you may be in for a disappointment.

I cannot confirm...but most probably it will be so.

It will be in the best interest of your time -- to migrate to GCN if you want Blender on AMD cards.

More improvements are on the way....for GCN.

We are also expecting the Blender developer community to optimize their kernels for GCN - where it makes most sense to do so.

Thanks,

Best,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes

I think and it's true, blender, vray, indigo, users are ready to make some sacrifice include upgrade hardware for new AMD R9 series! but we need better support maybe the best one !if AMD want to solve the bug for GCN ok ! but we need to see good performance !

currently NVIDIA opencl implementation is 5X faster than AMD opencl when it come to full GPU render engine. IF it work as we need some Nvidia user will change too.

sometimes we think that AMD don't want to make money :

nvidia don't wait to be implore by consumer before fix their driver bug in minor wrong.

but why AMD do that with so big bug ?

Zalamander  answer to other blender user:

The new upcoming Mac Pro with 2x AMD/ATI FirePro 6GB seems like a very nice workstation but since ATI has no cuda it's no love

Just wait for it to actually come out, Apple develops the drivers on Mac OS, so maybe there's a better chance to get it to run on there.

In the best of worlds Cycles would run great on both ATI/Nvidia.

In the actual world we live in, the market is there to ensure competition. What you people need to do is to buy NVIDIA GPUs and let AMD know that you jumped ship because of their incompetence. AMD has then the opportunity to get their affairs in order, if they value you as a customer - or they can decide to just abandon that segment of the market.

0 Likes

When you said NVIDIA implementation is faster,

Can you tell me which 2 GPUs you are comparing? And what is the test that you are doing?

I can convey the slowness problems to AMD again,

Thanks,

0 Likes

Just try Blender Cycles...

An old Q9550 Intel processor can beat the Amd 7950 Boost using OpenCL.

Example:

Mike pan BMW blender model at 128 samples 512x512 tiles

Blender 2.69RC

CPU OpenCL  2m 01s

GPU OpenCL  2m 19s

An i7 would be better than an old core2quad btw.

0 Likes

Hello, I can confirm that nvidia is significantly faster than blender. The usual standard test for performance is to open up a file created by Mike Pan, configure the render device (to be the GPU), don't change any other settings and render out an image.

Included in the file are his results from both his CPU and GPU. His gpu used is an Nvidia GTX 570.

Not only is the GTX 570 faster, but the render is also correct. You can get the file for testing here: http://mikepan.com/files/BMW1M-MikePan.blend

But for convencience, this is the time the GTX 570 achieves:

Time: 0 min 53 seconds (GPU - CUDA)

Time: 0 min 53 seconds (GPU - OpenCL)

Here's the time my Radeon HD 7970 with the 13.10 beta drivers installed (and a recompiled cycles kernel) achieves:

Time: 4 min 12 seconds (OpenCL of course)

And here is what it looks like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14178839/Picture%20Share/797013.10drivers.jpg

I do not want to criticise AMD here. I am here to provide useful feedback and information and will do my best to ensure the information I provide is accurate. Please correct any mistakes I may make.

0 Likes

sdar says AMD 7950 takes 2 min 19 sec for MikePan.

Ironsoul says AMD 7970 takes 4 minues 12 seconds for MikePan.

Not sure, what to interpret here..

I have passed on all of your feedback (including Sharlybg, Mano below) to AMD.

I think they are working on improvements.

You can expect improvements in future -- but I cannot commit anything here.

Let us hope for the best.

Thanks for all your feedback,

I hope things will change for good in future,

Cheers,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes

hello,

sdar modified the samples (reduced) and modified the tiles to increase the render speed. The accepted practice is to simply render using existing settings as to get a fair comparison between hardware.

I did not change the settings in any way so my results can be directly compared against any nvidia card that has done the same test without modifying settings ( e.g. a GTX 570)

0 Likes

That's for the amount of samples tested.

For example 2048 samples with a 7950 boost in mike pan bmw model takes 34 Minutes 02 Seconds my old core2quad using Opencl takes 31minutes 23seconds and an Nvidia takes around 5 to 9 minutes.

I've seen some tests where an i7 2600K was ~37% faster than an AMD 7950 rendering in cycles using OpenCL that's not a good result for a 7950.

0 Likes

himanshu.gautam a écrit:

When you said NVIDIA implementation is faster,

Can you tell me which 2 GPUs you are comparing? And what is the test that you are doing?

I can convey the slowness problems to AMD again,

Thanks,

Tested on blender Cycles =============>>> full bench are here======== http://oenvoyage.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/becnhmark_by_gpu.pn

it seems that AMD compiler don't work well with big kernel like cycles and Vray

Nvidia GTX 570 ========================>> 57 scs

Nvidia GTX 560 ========================>> 1.38 min

We are Cg artists some are working for product Viz with accelerated render engine/some for 3D movie creation/ some for game creation / some for arch viz. we are the same artist that make game look beautifull. So AMD must not only care About Gamer and let this market share in Nvidia hands.

it's good to said that you are 7fps more faster in battlefield than Nvidia. But when people want to buy or change GPU TODAY they are not looking only game performance. we are looking for ::::::>>>>

1/ overall performance

2/ game performance

3/ GPGPU performance

4/ Features values

5/ Price

6/ MORE to Understand ======= SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY like in Adobe===>> it's make no sense to have good GPGPU theorical performance and no software to show it.don't think that Bitmining will save things.

AMD is happy (and we are happy too) to blow out Nvidia in Luxmark benchs but how many production render engine (with all material, texture and features support) show this amazing power in GCN in action ????

0 Likes

To get an idea of the importance of fixing this problem, the architecture firm where I work was recently purchased 2 expensive Cards competitors, when I asked why not buy a AMD Radeon HD 7990 the answer was: "It does not work for renderings."

I do not know if they were right, but because the problem with Blender Cycles, I could not contradict.

I still believe that it is a driver problem because after limiting the render settings in Blender Cycles, and wait hours compiling kernels, the next time I try to render starts immediately. This is because Blender saves a cache with all the Kernel settings already compiled for the AMD card.

Thanks for the work.

0 Likes

Thank you himanshu for all your work! We made big steps; but still, it's not working 100%. The Cycle Devs have disabled many features on AMD hardware to ensure it compiles on AMD cards (they can be enabled under \Path\to\Blender\2.69\scripts\addons\cycles\kernel\kernel_types.h). So, more or less we're working with a crippled kernel. These are the current default features, which are working with our AMD hardware (even if it's slower than CPU rendering - it compiles and runs fine):

#define __SVM__

#define __EMISSION__

#define __IMAGE_TEXTURES__

#define __PROCEDURAL_TEXTURES__

#define __EXTRA_NODES__

#define __HOLDOUT__

#define __NORMAL_MAP__

Also defined as __KERNEL_SHADING__ in short.

However, all the other kernels (Nvidia OpenCL, Intel OpenCL, Nvidia CUDA) are running with the full feature-set of Cycles without any trouble. These features are:

#define __BACKGROUND_MIS__

#define __LAMP_MIS__

#define __AO__

#define __ANISOTROPIC__

#define __CAMERA_MOTION__

#define __OBJECT_MOTION__

#define __HAIR__

#define __MULTI_CLOSURE__

#define __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__

#define __PASSES__

Also defined as __KERNEL_ADV_SHADING__

These features are all modular; so one can enable and disable them one by one. This is what I've done and what I want to share with you. Only enabling __KERNEL_SHADING__ alone works fine with AMD hardware. If you additionally enable __AO__, things still work fine. Also if you additionally enable __ANISOTROPIC__. But as soon as you enable __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__ too, Blender gives you the "Insufficient Private Resources" error, which is not a Blender error, but related to the AMD compiler running out of memory. Enabling __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__ together with __KERNEL_SHADING__ without __AO__ and __ANISOTROPIC__, the kernel compiles and runs fine. So, there is clearly a limitation of the compiler. Otherwise Intel's and Nvidia's OpenCL compiler would run into similar problems. Now, the compiler runs out of memory with 3 additional features enabled. In total, we got 10. Even if the Cycles devs give their best and optimize the code further, it stillwon't compile due to insufficient private resources error.

Again, there are very big steps in the right direction and we thank you for that and also for your support himanshu! However, there is still work to be done by AMD, as this cannot be seen as fixed yet.

//Edit: A brief overview of my system: Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 Ivy-Bridge, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon HD7970GHz, Windows 7 x64 Professional with latest updates, Blender 2.69 RC3 and Catalyst 13.11 Beta.

0 Likes

I need to know how to enable these features while working with Blender.

Should I have to compile blender source code?

(or)
Is it something that I can configure while working with Blender? This is easy because I can easily givem them a repro-case.

If I have an easy repro case , I can tell AMD engineers -- Please test with these features enabled.....

And it will be a good test-case for them.

btw,

Will enabling these features increase the speed of Blender on AMD cards?

(or) Will they just enable some additional features that will make the render more beautiful?

Best,

Bruhaspati

0 Likes

There are working on Blender issue without unsure to be well connected to developpers ! How do they want to resolve the bug as soon as possible ? To get best performance in battlefield and Tomb raider their unsure to work with game dev unsure to make AMD speciall feature like TRESS FX and MANTLE well implemented in render engine (frostbite) . They can't said that they dn't Know the proceedings to solve software issue !  blender CYCLES is not the only one that uncounter this wrong compiler ! there are many other software that run without opencl acceleration because bad support !

====>> since the biginning i tought That they waiting for HSA GPU and APU to solve the bug once for ever ! it is a good investment but please play fair with US ?

People will never throw away their Radeon card indeed HSA work fine !

=====>> About optimisation there is a well optimised sofware called SLG 4.0 (Luxrender part) that promote Radeon 7XXX serie with Luxmark 2.0 bench. AMD must try to Help them to have a proof of the power of radeon in Render engine sofware ! The Render engine is faster enought but Dev encounter many bug in compiler and their are not supported. Luxmark give to radeon a big impact in CG world why not give them a good support !

0 Likes

It's simple to enable or disable features of Cycles. Just open the file "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.69\scripts\addons\cycles\kernel\ kernel_types.h" (can be in notepad), and under "# ifdef __ KERNEL_OPENCL_AMD__" just to uncomment que pieces of code. Example: instead of

# define __ EMISSION__, place

/ / # define __ EMISSION__

And so on.

0 Likes

To your first question:

No, you don't need to build Blender from source. It's the definition file of the OpenCL kernel, which is built everytime we try to render something. You might need to restart Blender after changing the file; but there are no difficult tasks involved. It's really trivial and easy to do. I think it's also possible to build the OpenCL kernel without running Blender at all - but that's another question. I'll show you, how to enable advanced kernel features in latest Blender 2.69 RC3:

First of all, access your default Blender directory; then change directory to the cycles kernel directory and open up kernel_types.h. If you installed it under the default location, it can be found under:

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.69\scripts\addons\cycles\kernel\kernel_types.h

Now, look for the following block:

#ifdef __KERNEL_OPENCL_AMD__

#define __SVM__

#define __EMISSION__

#define __IMAGE_TEXTURES__

#define __PROCEDURAL_TEXTURES__

#define __EXTRA_NODES__

#define __HOLDOUT__

#define __NORMAL_MAP__

//#define __BACKGROUND_MIS__

//#define __LAMP_MIS__

//#define __AO__

//#define __ANISOTROPIC__

//#define __CAMERA_MOTION__

//#define __OBJECT_MOTION__

//#define __HAIR__

//#define __MULTI_CLOSURE__

//#define __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__

//#define __PASSES__

#endif

As you can see, some features are commented out. By removing the double slashes, you enable a feature. After modifying and saving kernel_types.h, configure Blender to use the GPU (from a commandline, run "cd C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\", "set CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST=all" and then "blender.exe"; open up User Settings in Blender and set the computing device to "Tahiti" (for the HD7970)). Again, I've succesfully tested uncommenting __AO__ and __ANISOTROPIC__ at the same time and it worked. But as soon as I additionally uncommented __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__, I got the "Insufficient Private Resources" error upon compiling the kernel (which is done before the actual rendering). When I disable __AO__ and __ANISOTROPIC__ again and leave __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__ enabled, it runs fine again. Enabling features is an easy, fast and trivial task. Hopefully, you can reproduce it and forward it to the Devs, so they can investigate it further.

To your 2nd question: I don't know what all of the advanced kernel features do in detail. But afaik, they GREATLY improve the final render (and not the speed). E.g. the __HAIR__ feature enables us to calculate / render hair particles on the GPU. When we do production-ready renders, there are 10k to 100k's of hair particles. Rendering it on the GPU significantly improves rendering times - and productivity in general. __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__ will help us calculate very complex and good looking shadows on the GPU. __PASSES__ for example allows us to render the scene in different layers on-the-fly and give us a very advanced tool for composition. These features are essential for every Blender user. There might be wrong information, but this is what I know.

Again, thank you for your great support!

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

The 13.10 beta 2 follows as above 13.10 and I think with some other problem. There is no progress.

___

La 13.10 beta 2 sigue igual que la anterior 13.10 y creo que con algún otro problema. No hay ningún avance.

0 Likes

13.10 beta v2 is a gaming focused driver !

it's very very sad very hard to wait so long !

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Unfortunately it seems that amd does not care morot render in gpu is something not quite understand but good. If amd is focusing on api mantle and other good things do not know if that can help improve but from what I see is not very likely. So far amd says nothing about whether it is possible to render in 3d so far not known. Amd Hopefully someday realize the market is lost. It is also rare to see conferncias OpenCL but do not talk about real-time engine cycles and OpenCL as if some company is willing to help. But at this point amd should pay to have it so you could say that at least there is a render engine working well, and I'm not saying do not do LuxRender but not the same

Desgraciadamente me parece que amd no le importa el morot de render en gpu es algo que no comprendo del todo pero bueno. Si amd se esta centrando en api manto y otras cosas bueno no se si eso puede ayudar a mejorar pero por lo que veo no es muy probable. Asi que hasta la fecha amd no dice nada sobre si es posible renderizar en 3d  hasta la fecha no se sabe. Esperemos que amd se de cuenta algun dia el mercado que se pierde. Tambien es raro ver conferncias de opencl pero no hablan sobre motor en tiempo real opencl como cycles y si alguna empresa esta dispuesta a ayudar. Pero a estas alturas amd deberia de pagar para tenerlo asi se podria decir que al menos hay un motor de render trabajando bien, y no digo que luxrender no lo haga pero no es lo mismo.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

New Blender UI - The Proposal - YouTube

Apparently it's a disappointment to see blender running only nvidia and improve incredibly high now with a new form ui. Now I think this is the last opportunity for in sneak amd gpu with gpu in 3d at least in blender. I think that in a short time came at least in blender reach max and other 3d Sutudio but disappointment for users from using network can only use nvidia is more intel I think are also trying to ride your gpu in blender more excited than the amd, and that takes less years intel about what amd and nvidia and win this poiendo passing were the best amd before happened?

Aparentemente es una decepción ver blender solo funcionando con nvidia y ahora de colmo mejoran increiblemente con una nueva forma ui. Ahora bien creo que esta es de las ultimas oportunidades para las gpu de amd en colarse con las gpu en 3d al menos en blender. Pienso que en muy poco tiempo blender llegara al menos en alcanzar a 3d sutudio max y otros pero es decepcion para los ususarios que solamente podemos usar nvidia es mas creo que intel tambien estan tratando de hacer andar sus gpu en blender con mayor excito que las de amd, y eso que intel lleva menos años con respecto a lo que amd y nvidia y le esta poiendo ganas que pasa amd antes eras el mejor que paso?

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

untitled.jpg

I found the problem and is to have two monitors went off one or the disable works seamlessly both gpu or cpu is the same problem. No problem if catalyst or LuxRender. Catalyst 13.11

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

I found the solution. But we are in discussion about blenderartist (cyclos vs LuxRender) apparently LuxRender is working out better with each catalyst. What is this trying to see if we can get a better helps LuxRender, in my opinion would be better to leave the support cycles and give importance to LuxRender. The important thing now would be to LuxRender out in real time as it was used ((slg live!)). Also in the use of materials a bit more flexible in terms of gpu I also like to use the onboard Terms pc but generally doing very well so hopefully follow. Also we wonder about Manto in terms of creating a render engine and see if it is possible.

Ya encontre la solucion. Pero en blenderartist estamos en discusion sobre (cyclos vs luxrender) aparentemente luxrender esta funcionando mejor con cada salida de catalyst. Lo que se esta intentando de ver si es posible tener una mejor ayuda a luxrender ,en mi entender seria mejor dejar el apoyo a cycles y dale importancia a luxrender. Lo importante ahora seria que luxrender fuera en tiempo real como se usaba (( slg live! )). Tambien en el uso de materiales un poco mas flexibles, en terminos de gpu me gustaria usar tambien la onboard de la pc pero en terminos en general anda muy bien esperemos que sigan asi. Tambien nos preguntamos acerca de Manto en terminos de crear un motor de render y ver si es posible.

0 Likes

Guys, please stop spamming this thread with irrelevant LuxRender things. This is about Cycles and big kernels in general! Dropping Cycles Support in favor of LuxRender? Are you serious? We finally got AMD's attention on Cycles and their OpenCL compiler, don't try to destroy what we have achieved! As soon as they've fixed / improved their OpenCL compiler, THEN we can talk about speed ups. But not now. If you want AMD to pay more attention to LuxRender, please open up a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

Well developer of LuxRender also faced that complex kernels issue with some proceduraly generated materials.

0 Likes

Sorry but irrelevant?. I think not, how many years has amd with cycles? or other render engines work also does not make it right for the graphics amd. Cycles if it works but slower than the cpu and with several problems.

At this time amd prefer that concentrate on improving the driver for at least 1 render engine. LuxRender is the one that is in better health for amd graphics, I think to fight against the current no longer makes sense we should build at least one final render engine. So I say that (slg live) was great, I intersaria much to return with improvements in catalyst driver.

Perdón pero irrelevantes?. No lo creo, cuantos años lleva amd con cycles? o otros motores de render ademas que funcione no significa que sea el adecuado para las graficas amd. Cycles si funciona pero mas lento que la cpu y con varios problemas.

En este momento preferiría que amd se concentrara en mejorar el controlador para al menos 1 motor de render. Luxrender es el que se encuentra en mejor estado de salud para las graficas amd, pienso que peliar contra la corriente ya no tiene sentido deberíamos consolidar al menos un motor de render definitivo. Por eso digo que (slg live) era genial, me intersaria mucho que volviera con grandes mejoras en controlador catalyst.

0 Likes

Cycles is a powerful render with a lot of features, with nvidia Cuda and OpenCL it works pretty fast (a lot faster than a CPU), but AMD Compiler can't compile it with all features enabled, and with some features disabled it works but extremely slow, but this is not blender fault.

Why should blender drop cycles? just users must drop Amd until the compiler problems are fixed, that should speed up things a little.

Cycles es un gran motor de render con muchas características, Con nvidia funciona perfectamente tanto con cuda como con OpenCL (Mucho mas rápido que la CPU) Pero el Compilador de AMD no puede compilar Cycles con todas sus caracteristicas activadas, con algunas de ellas desactivadas si puede pero funciona muy despacio, pero esto no es culpa de blender (Como ya he dicho con nvidia funciona bien).

¿Por qué debería blender dejar Cycles? Los usuarios simplemente deberían dejar AMD hasta que decidieran arreglar el compilador, eso, con suerte, aceleraría un poco las cosas.

0 Likes
missxu
Journeyman III

Hi, I'm just letting you know I have a 7970 and am eager to use Blender's Cycles.

Thanks for expending the effort to enabling this feat.

Is there anything I can do that will help?

0 Likes
marcelvdberg11
Journeyman III

Hi, I'm just letting you know that I lost my patience and ordered a Nvidia Gtx780 today.

I'm following this topic from the start, but can't wait any longer.

I hoped that you could make the AMD gpu's work properly on blender / vray / iray, but I don't see it happening in the next few months.

Good luck, and let me know when it finally works as it supposed to do.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

0 Likes

Lamentablemente te entiendo, pero esto es asi creemos que amd pueda en algun momento sacar algo digno del 3d renderizacion. Pero el rey en esa materia seguira siendo Nvidia. No se! ya lo eh preguntado antes pero no esta mal en repetirlo, Mantle es posible programar algun motor de render en esta materia ?. no se mucho del tema programacion. Por lo menos que si es posible?. Aunque luxrender esta haciendo grandes mejoras es realmente complicado usar solo un motor de render. La gran pregunta " Opencl es el futuro? "  a este ritmo opencl no tiene sentido, por lo que se cuda fue desarrolada un año antes y es posible tener motores de render hoy en dia. Opencl?  Seguimos esperando!!

Unfortunately I understand, but we believe this is so amd can at some point get something worthy of 3d rendering. But the king in this matter will remain Nvidia. No! eh I already asked before but not this bad to repeat, Mantle is possible to set any renderer in this area?. not much about programming. At least if possible?. Although great improvements LuxRender is doing is really hard to use only one rendering engine. The big question "OpenCL is the future?" At this rate OpenCL does not make sense, so that cuda was desarrolada a year earlier and may have rendering engines today. OpenCL? We are still waiting!

0 Likes

OpenCL 2.0 is launched this summer, this should make it easier for developers to make complicated scripts like rendering engines.

But it takes time before programs will make use of it, and i can't wait for that.

Im also not sure what AMD cards will run OpenCL 2.0.

0 Likes

Hopefully run OpenCL 2.0 from Radeon HD 7000 series onwards, if not will be compatible. What happens is that amd also not given the importance of the theme should give 3d renderings. You do not give much information, whether it is capable of doing something both api mantle as the programming and not only that if also the games is priority number 1. If Nvidia wants to win has to go first nvidia 3d applications in all presentation shows some of what you can do and gets nothing Amd only 4k theme and some other application but most hardware character.

Esperemos que opencl 2.0 se ejecute a partir de la serie Radeon hd 7000 en adelante, no se si seran compatibles. Lo que pasa tambien es que amd no le da la importancia de deberia darle al tema de renders 3d. Ademas no da mucha informacion, sobre si es capaz de poder hacer algo tanto la api mantle como la parte de programacion y no solo eso si tambien los juegos es prioridad numero 1. Si a Nvidia le quiere ganar tiene que ir por aplicaciones 3d primero nvidia en todas las presentacion muestra algo de lo que puede hacer y Amd se queda sin nada solo el tema del 4k y alguna otra aplicacion pero de caracter mas de hardware.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

The truth about this opencl issue is simple ! HSA enable APU and GPU are the ultimate solution ! HSA is devs friendly power efficiente and very fast ! the first APU (Kaveri) will be release 14 january. The first GPU with HSA enable certainly in Q2 2014 with 20 nm or 14 nm improvement. I trust in AMD now that i have understand the strategy behind HSA .

0 Likes

I didn't get it,

what's the "truth"?

that other vendors has no problems with Opencl like amd ones?

that amd is not going to fix opencl and we'll need to wait for HSA to be out and then buy new hardware?

So the truth then is that amd is not going to fix it to try to get more sales when HSA hardware come out?

.... the truth is that it's not working... future technologies are OK but we want the actual technology to work as expected so we can trust that future technologies are going to work too and not being a never mature concept.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Sra y Sr. de Amd .

Solicitó que presten atención a lo siguiente. "Cuda 6" Unifica memoria .

Si esto es realmente cierto Amd esta en problemas en su gama de gpus.

Opencl se quedara realmente atras, y quedara al borde de la inutilidad en muchos campos ej 3d con lo poco que se a podido adelantar en tantos años esto lo destruira en rendimiento. Hago un llamado de atencion a Amd para que reaccione con respecto a opencl se que la parte de juegos es importante pero esto es "urgente".

Ms and Mr of Amd.
Asked to pay attention to the following. "Cuda 6" Unify memory.
If this is really true AMD is in trouble in their range of gpus.
OpenCL really back to stay, and stay on the edge of the futility in many fields eg what little 3d was able to overtake so many years this will destroy in performance. I call to attention to Amd to react about OpenCL that the game is important, but it is "urgent".

0 Likes

CUDA 6 will just simplify development regards memory management. There is no performance benefits for now, so implicit memory copy is still needed: AnandTech | NVIDIA Announces CUDA 6: Unified Memory for CUDA

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Al parecer ya salió la nueva api de amd mantle y también otras características a futuro tressfx 2.0 y más. Junto a otros desadorroladores me parece una verguenza de parte de amd  en no encontrar un buen desarrolo de  al menos un motor de render o alguna informacion para los desarroladores para poder poder crear uno.

Amd deberia dar una convocatoria de motores de render 3den tiempo real. Poder crear algo como mantle  para 3d seria genial pienso yo.

Apparently already out the new api amd mantle and other features to future tressfx 2.0 and more. With other seems a shame desadorroladores from amd not to find a good expansion by at least one render engine or some information to the developers in order to create one.

Amd should give a call render engine 3DEN real time. Power to create something like 3d mantle would be great I think.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

1) Migration to git and Phabricator

• Blender entered a new era of software development! What started with manual backups (1994), moved to cvs (2000), svn (2007) and now to git (2013). It’s almost the 7 year itch
  • Our online projects system also migrated, with GForge in 2003, to FusionForge in 2010, and now Phabricator. The Phabricator site has a lot better tools for organizing code work with large teams – including reviewing and managing feedback, research or patches. You can access it at developer.blender.org.
  • Special thanks to the awesome work on this migration by Brecht van Lommel, Campbell Barton, Sergey Sharybin, Dan McGrath and Julien Rivaud.
  • Remaining tasks are outlined here.
  • Brecht will write a code.blender.org blog article about the new development environment, which will get link on blender.org frontpage as well.

2) 2.70 targets and scheduling

• It’s BCon1 still – means we’re gathering ideas for the upcoming release.
  • Planning proposal: 2nd week of december move to BCon2, mid january BCon3, and release end of february. See the Blender 2.7x Release Cycle document.
  • Lukas Toenne: posted a patch for EWA sampling in Compositor on the bf-compositor list, needs some review but this at least would partially fix the sampling issues we have there.
  • Reminder for everyone, 2.70 is allowed to break forward compatibility.
  • Brecht is working on a UI project and team announcement, will be posted in few days.
  • Meeting discussed work we could do on keymaps and how to manage defaults or presets. Jonathan Williamson will contact people who might be interested in managing the Maya and Max “defaults”.  Brecht suggested to completely remove hardcoded C keymap definitions. This will be investigated further.
  • Meeting ended discussing a lot of interesting other code projects, like for painting tools (GSoC), Beveling options, modeling roadmaps, Cycles, etc. Ton suggested to try to work this out better in the coming weeks and make it a proposed target for 2.70 in wiki.

______

We keep hoping someday some users see Amd Cycles.O the Blender foundation of a little support to people in LuxRender so have better chance of getting it all worked with blender. Not only cycles.
______
Seguimos algunos usuarios esperando algun dia ver Amd Cycles.O que la fundacion de Blender de un poquito de apoyo a la gente de Luxrender para asi tener todos posibilidades de tenerlo mejor funcionado con blender. No solo cycles.

0 Likes
tolga9009
Adept II

himanshu.gautam: Hi, I just wanted to ask, if there is any status update or any news, you can share with us. Also, out of curiosity: does the FirePro S10000 for Supercomputers also fight with the known AMD OpenCL compiler limitations?

0 Likes

The answer is very easy to answer. No, AMD has been trying to fix problems with OpenCL 3d render engines, without much to show for their drivers. So if you think amd gpu to just have LuxRender renders and nothing else, no renderer any more complete than that for amd. On the subject of passing information about any news eg cycles or some other render engine. That's not what you will say only when you try it out amd catalyst and does not give the same importance as pc games, not their priority. Honestly my attention from amd not apply to game companies for some programming help better support LuxRender or cycles that are gpl.

La respuesta es muy facil de responder. No, Amd lleva años tratando de solucionar problemas con opencl en motores de render 3d, sin mucho que mostrar en sus controladores. Asi que si piensas en amd gpu para renders solo tienes Luxrender y nada mas, no hay ningun motor de render mas completo que ese para amd. Sobre el tema de pasar informacion sobre alguna novedad ej: cycles o algun otro motor de render. Eso no te lo diran solamente cuando salga catalyst y lo pruebes amd no le da la misma importancia que a los juegos de pc, no es su prioridad. Sinceramente me llama la atencion de parte de amd de no solicitar a las empresas de juegos alguna ayuda de programacion para dar mejor apoyo a Luxrender o cycles que son gpl.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Slg to ceased to exist, it is now is a fucion Luxvr. Moments do not know much and consulting with people of LuxRender is currently not known if the new api mantle help in hardware performance with software 3d. Nor have knowledge about cycles or some kind of improvement in this regard, also were said to be more about daria mantle but not if can be applied to software in the field of 3d. Amd should pay a minimum of attention to the field of real-time 3D LuxRender is the only moments.

Slg a dejado de existir, ahora es Luxvr es una fucion. De momentos no sabemos mucho y consultando con la gente de Luxrender de momentos no se sabe si la nueva api mantle ayudara al rendimiento en hardware con software 3d. Tampoco se tiene conocimiento sobre cycles o algun tipo de mejora al respecto, tambien se decia que se daria mas informacion sobre mantle pero no si se puede aplicar a software en el campo del 3d. Amd debe prestarle un minimo de atencion al campo del 3d en tiempo real luxrender es el unico de momentos.

0 Likes