Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

npm1
Adept II

Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

Dear Opencl Developer

Why doesn't the AMD opencl compiler work with blender cycles?

whenever i compile the blender cycles kernel, the system either crashes due to lack of memory, or takes too long to compile the blender cycles kernel(which thereafter comes up with the following error:

opencl build failed:errors in console

calclcompile failederror: creating kernel_ocl_path_trace failed!

can't open file c:\tmp\5688.blend@ for writing:no file or directory

).

When is AMD opencl compiler going to work properly with blender cycles?

Why can't the AMD opencl compiler developers test their compiler against blender cycles?

Seasons Greetings,

npm1,

PS i am as well as others(i assume) are considering to make a switch from AMD GPUs to Nvidia.

371 Replies

Sorry I do not understand your answer. You say the problem is with Blender and developers ?.

What I do not understand is because amd does not generate a rendering engine base. LuxRender is terribly slow, any company right now is working OpenCL render amd gpu. It may be firepro but few reach one of those ?.

To be honest it is way too expensive, for semi-professional use. gtx 970 = $ 400 vs firepro 9100 = $ 3000.

You mention moments pixar Renderman but not using Gpu. OpenGL and OpenCL are different, the problem is if amd is faster in OpenCL calculation because the industry does not get something stable? but are not all based on cuda. Why will not it?

0 Likes

cusa123 wrote:

Sorry I do not understand your answer. You say the problem is with Blender and developers ?.

What I do not understand is because amd does not generate a rendering engine base. LuxRender is terribly slow, any company right now is working OpenCL render amd gpu. It may be firepro but few reach one of those ?.

To be honest it is way too expensive, for semi-professional use. gtx 970 = $ 400 vs firepro 9100 = $ 3000.

You mention moments pixar Renderman but not using Gpu. OpenGL and OpenCL are different, the problem is if amd is faster in OpenCL calculation because the industry does not get something stable? but are not all based on cuda. Why will not it?

Read this thread where AMD is going to re-architect Cycle's monolithic OpenCL kernel for Cycles:[Bf-cycles] OpenCL and AMD GPUs

Also not where the Blender devs point out that CUDA has been a real bear to keep Cycles from crashing it as well.

As I wrote more than once, the design of Cycles using a poor design is biting them in the rear.

0 Likes

@mdriftmeyer thank you for acting as one of the few voices of reason on this thread.  This is great news. And now all of this whining

can finally come to an end!!  However, I do wish AMD would raise the quality of their drivers: they should be able to compile large, complex kernels,

if they put more effort into it. And I do wish that they could open source part of their drivers - I am sure the community would step up to the

plate and improve things considerably.

0 Likes

so has there been any news since Christmas? I did see the new Dirextx being releassed

0 Likes
thanzex
Journeyman III

Blender 2.72 RC doesn't work well with AMD, if the materials are basic the rendertime is the same as 2.69, with noticeable image quality improvements, but if the materials gets a bit more complicated the render freezes, along with Windows, and i had to manually reboot it, several times.

Everything seems to work fine, but in Afterburner i can see that as the render starts, the gpu clock is locked at the maximum, while the memory clock after a few seconds (when it arrives to a little bit complex material tile)goes down to 0. If i'm lucky and i can close blender, the next time i'll open it the viewport, even with just the cube (even moving the window), is dramatically slow. But if i'm not that lucky, it's just a matter of seconds before everything freezes except the mouse pointer, then again, a few seconds and everything is dead, and i have to manually reboot it.

With basic materials i mean ""Texture=>Diffuse=>Output"" If you use just a Mix Shader node, everything dies.

Nothing similar?

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

What matters is whether the compiled amd kernel, OpenCL 2.0 and see the improvements for Blender 2.73.

---------------------------------------

Lo Importante es si amd Compila el kernel, párr OpenCL 2.0 y ver las Mejoras párr licuadora 2.73

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

There is some idea of ​​OpenCL 2.0 for cycles, I'm finishing raise money.

I am interested that it can compile without problems but as soon as possible I would like to see 20 nm, but new reporting system for r9 3xx.

But if you walk before you leave me no other choice but to stay nvidia.

Blender ah not given any sign of OpenCL 2.0 cycles ?.

Also I see that hangs 14.9 catalyst but determianos factors or types of lighting in blender. Blender works fine hair.

Subsurface scattering of course does not work and clear volumetria either.

Last clarification, a little effort is what is missing.

For it to work OpenCL 2.0 amd recommend it to a graph with the new generation ra 6gb or 8gb. That would be the envy of Nvidia.

Not long a little more affection to blender cycles.

---------------------

Hay alguna idea de opencl 2.0 para cycles, estoy terminando de juntar dinero.

Me interesa que se pueda compilar sin problemas pero antes posible me gustaria ver los 20 nm , mas el nuevo sistema de memorias para r9 3xx.

Pero si no andan antes de que salga no me quedara otra opcion que nvidia.

Blender no ah dada alguna señal de opencl 2.0 cycles?.

Tambien veo que catalyst 14.9 se cuelga pero con determianos factores o tipos de iluminacion, en blender. Blender pelo funciona bien .

Subsurface scattering por supuesto que no funciona y claro volumetria tampoco.

Ultima aclaracion, es un poco de esfuerzo lo que le falta.

En el caso de que funcione opencl 2.0 recomendaria a amd una grafica ra la nueva generacion con 6gb o 8gb. Eso seria la envidia de Nvidia.

No falta mucho un poquito mas de cariño a blender cycles.

0 Likes

The guys at blender's programmer IRC channel still say that AMD's OpenCL lacks the implementation of some functions. So I doubt the next version of Blender (2.73) will work better than 2.71.

I ran some benchmarks from a blender forum that runs fine on CUDA and with the default tile settings it stalled rendering on the second tile (4 in total) with AMD's OpenCL 2.0 experimental driver. I reduced the tile size to half and still it froze. At about a tenth the original tile size it finished the benchmark with over ONE HOUR of processing time and with some artifacts on a R9 270. A top of the line CUDA board will do it in less than 5 minutes.

On Mike Pan's bmw benchmark it takes 2minutes 23s while a comparable (by price) CUDA card will take around 1 minute. No visible artifacts in this bench.

Hopefully AMD and the Blender team are getting closer to finally ironing out the problems to have AMD's superior GPGPU power working flawlessly in blender cycles.

cactoos
Adept I

Hello.

A lot of time has been pass and no news, but now i just read this AMD prepara sus nuevos Catalyst Omega: Filtradas sus novedades y mejoras | MadBoxpc.com.

Can we still waiting whit any hope?

0 Likes
thanzex
Journeyman III

Well, i know this reply will not be of any help for the main topic but at least Nvidia is having problems too.

Laughed soo hard

SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco - YouTube

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff

Everyone,

I'm closing this particular discussion. I am NOT censoring this discussion. I'm just closing an unwieldy thread. It is ridiculously long, wandered all over the place, and is now at the point that it's almost impossible to find any new replies 26 pages in. I'm trying to make things a little easier for everyone. This thread will remain available for review. But no more comments.

Thanks for your understanding.

0 Likes