Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vvelichkov
Journeyman III

AMD OpenCL APP SDK 2.6 - Preview Announcement, Dec 13, 2011

Next release of AMD OpencCL APP SDK 2.6, OpenCL 1.2 preview-support

Hopefully this time the SDK and 11.12 run-time will include some serious bug-fixes and performance optimizations:

http://blogs.amd.com/developer/2011/11/28/amd-opencl%E2%84%A2-app-sdk-preview/

This release will also include preview of OpenCL 1.2 features. So far, so good!

0 Likes
25 Replies
nou
Exemplar

and also more features for Linux side. like OVD and zero copy.

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Originally posted by: vvelichkov

Hopefully this time the SDK and 11.12 run-time will include some serious bug-fixes and performance optimizations:

http://blogs.amd.com/developer...-sdk-preview/

This release will also include preview of OpenCL 1.2 features. So far, so good!

No so good cause they make errors even into hype blogs! Accordingly to blog there is Cat 12.12 where we can expect bugfixes... well, hope this typo will not become sad reality...
0 Likes

New SDK available for download from APP SDK webpage. New drivers aren't there yet, but hope they make it sometime during the afternoon.

0 Likes
clamport
Journeyman III

Note that the link is currently wrong for the Windows 64 bit installer, and points to APP 2.5. If you want the beta, just modify the link to 2.6 instead of 2.5... or click here

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes

Not sure if it's because I'm still using Catalyst 11.11 but now I'm using SDK 2.6, AMD APP KernelAnalyzer reports the same Compiler statistics no matter what Function you select...

0 Likes

AMD APP Kernel Analyzer uses runtime installed, which ships with drivers and not with the SDK. It might work if you manually replace runtime binaries with those found inside the SDK, but keep in mind that this is not standard procedure.

0 Likes

Hm, offline compilation crashes for me. Some kernels always crash when building, others just crash when building for the new targets (e.g Tahiti). 

I guess I should wait until 11.12 comes out...

0 Likes

yes, offline compilations is broken. it either crashes during compilation or the produced binary output fails after reading with clBuildProgram() -11

0 Likes

Patience is a virtue my friends... (although I myself do have the url of 11-12 linux drivers in a browser, and check if the drivers are there, even if the webpage isn't updated yet)

If most bugs would be fixed, OCL 1.2 conformance be introduced, and perhaps a few new features be implemented (Direct GPU-GPU transfer, or GDS/GWS, ...) that would be a real nice treat before the holidays.

0 Likes

Yep 🙂

BTW is it my proxy or the AMD APP SDK page is seriously inconsistent? Links to APP SDK 2.6 were replaced with those to 2.5, but 2.6 checksums remain. Recommended Catalyst driver is 11.12 which is not out yet. Documentation links are for 2.5, but some of the documents linked are written for 2.6. Rather weird...

0 Likes

The contents of the page do not change to the wave of a wand. It takes roughly one day until they change all the links and update the pages. SDK was said to be out Dec 13 (today), so if they update everything by midnight, they are still in time.

Do not be surprised if drivers will only make it 1-2 days late. There have been sooo many bugs lately, I can live with a few days delay if it results in more stable and bug-free drivers. (Although you can bet I'm as eager to get my hands on them as you are)

0 Likes

Originally posted by: quadboon yes, offline compilations is broken. it either crashes during compilation or the produced binary output fails after reading with clBuildProgram() -11

ignore this, was an problem on my side. all my kernel compile cleanly.

0 Likes

Thanks Micah, I was able to compile successfully without -O0. 

0 Likes
clamport
Journeyman III

0 Likes

also for linux http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run

0 Likes

so i instaled catalyst 11.12 and i can say that there is at lest one new extension and that is cl_ext_atomic_counters_32

0 Likes
NURBS
Journeyman III

I installed 11.12 and GPU is no long available as CL device?

0 Likes

Offline compilation still broken with 11.12, BUT:

I provide -O0 to the list of build options and it's OK.  Moreover, looks like -O0 has no effect on performance, I get exactly the same performance as with 2.5 and 11.11 without -O0.

100% CPU problem is finally gone forever. Not 30% or so, almost no CPU utilization as it was in 2.4. Nice.

I am going to get the ISA dump out of the Tahiti target now, I expect that to be interesting 🙂

P.S WOW! Looks like AMD is truly ditching off VLIW! When are those going to be documented?

userElementCount

NumVgprs 

NumSgprs 

etc?

0 Likes

gat3way,
Do you have a specific example that is crashing offline compilation? I use it quite often and do not see it crashing with any internal builds.
0 Likes

I cannot provide a good test case right now, I can send you one of my kernels (it's rather long though, dunno if it's the proper place to paste). 

0 Likes

gat3way, you can post it here, send it via our feedback email, pastebin or any way you feel comfortable.
0 Likes

0 Likes

Yes, I can confirm. The 100% CPU bug is gone on Linux and on Windows. Good Job @ AMD.

0 Likes

gat3way,
Thanks, I can reproduce the issue and I'm looking into it. It actually is the same bug I ran across this morning and been investigating trying to find a solution for.
0 Likes

Gat3way,
A work-around for the crash is to use one of the upper 4 components of chbase in a dummy calculation that doesn't get optimized away. I'm working on a solution so it will be in a future catalyst release. The problem is a crash in the compiler when either a kernel argument gets optimized away or when a 128bit part of a vector argument is not used in the kernel.
0 Likes