cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cdg2lax
Adept I

Adding a AMD GPU for computing along side a NVIDIA GPU

In my current workstation I want to install a HD-7770-GE along side a Quadro FX580.

The Quadro will continue to server the monitor while I will be using the Radeon for non graphical computing.

1) Is that possible?

2) If yes what are the recommended step during the installation of the Radeon GPU and the AMD sdk 2.8?

Device Manager show that  NVIDIA OpenCL drivers are already installed.

I do not need any fancy stuff from the graphical card and I am find if I loose the ability to run video or complex graphic. 

(mostly use vim for programming...)

Dell T7500

Dual Intel X5560 (2.8 GHz) 6 GB DDR3

Windows Server R2 Enterprise.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I had setup the machine with following details:

Win7 64 bit machine, 4GB RAM, CPU:  AMD A10 5800K APU with HD 7660D as iGPU, NVIDIA GTX 630 for display purpose(So a monitor is attached to this card).

The iGPU has no cable connected to it. And works as a compute device. Although your clinfo crashes for this setup, but that is a known issue and will be fixed soon. It nevertheless detects the NVIDIA GPU too. AMD's iGPU seems to be working fine as a OpenCL Compute Device either using it directly or using it remotely using RDP.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi ,

There is a similar thread already: http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1286801#1286801

Although that thread is about setting up NVIDIA (display) + AMD(compute) on ubuntu.

I am still working on the linux setup, but i had recently created a setup on windows. I had just installed AMD Graphics driver, AMD APP SDK and NVIDIA driver. I could use the AMD GPU in this setup without any problems. I will update the system details tomorrow, as it is a local holiday here and I am out of office

0 Likes

Thanks for the quick answer. I already got the card so I am looking forward to your setup!

0 Likes

I had setup the machine with following details:

Win7 64 bit machine, 4GB RAM, CPU:  AMD A10 5800K APU with HD 7660D as iGPU, NVIDIA GTX 630 for display purpose(So a monitor is attached to this card).

The iGPU has no cable connected to it. And works as a compute device. Although your clinfo crashes for this setup, but that is a known issue and will be fixed soon. It nevertheless detects the NVIDIA GPU too. AMD's iGPU seems to be working fine as a OpenCL Compute Device either using it directly or using it remotely using RDP.

0 Likes

Thanks gain. I decided to break the bank and got a HD 6450 for 40$ and replace the NVIDIA all together Now I should have two AMD GPU both supported by the latest set of drivers and SDK. 

Nice to hear that.

Thanks for giving the update.

0 Likes