Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

grey9305
Journeyman III

About the OpecnCL 1.2 beta driver for Kaveri APU

Hi all,

I have a A-10 7850k APU and want to try the OpecnCL 1.2 beta driver for developer, but when I tried to installed the driver, I found that the document said it only supports the Asus A88X-PRO motherboard. Unfortunately, mine is A88XM-A and A88X-PRO isn't available in my region. I have checked that A88XM-A supports IOMMU as well and can't figure out why it's not supported by the driver. I'm desperately want to know why this beta driver only support one motherboard and if it possible that my motherboard is supported actually?

Thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies

Hi,

I am forwarding this to the driver team.

Thanks,

AMd Support

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi,

Sorry for this late reply. We need some more details.

What was the driver version you tried to install on your machine? What was the OS? Also can you specify the document you mentioned?

Regards,

0 Likes
musicullum
Journeyman III

I aquired a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H motherboard which came as a kit (amazon.de) with an A10 7850k and RAM preinstalled. I could successfully install the HSA-Devel-Beta driver and get my code to run after following the doc and applying the SVM stuff in my code, great and thank you AMD!

Now my only problem left is to figure out why I see no performance improvements yet...

0 Likes

Hi,

It's nice to hear that you've successfully installed the driver and your program is running fine.

But, related to performance, it's difficult to comment anything from your post. Please can you elaborate what type of performance issue you are facing now so that we can help you.

Regards,

Thanks for your support. I think I underestimated the actual calculation workload of my process, so I assumed most of the time was eaten by memory transfers. It looks like I was wrong, so it comes to no surprise that there is only a slight improvement. Actually it led me to implement a different structure which exposes almost 100% increase in performance.

I will further investigate, in a next step there will be more memory actions involved and then HSA should shine more obviously. But what I can say is that everything runs just fine in terms of the beta driver, only I have to restart the computer once after cold boot, otherwise it will crash after the first kernel call.

0 Likes

We are happy to hear that you are now experiencing a huge performance boost (as you were expecting) from your APU.

You wrote: " I have to restart the computer once after cold boot, otherwise it will crash after the first kernel call" -

Very strange problem. Does this problem reoccur every-time or just seldom happen? What can I suggest you that please make sure everything has installed properly.

Regards,

0 Likes

Yes, it happens every time when I start the computer. But it's no problem for me as it (re-)boots blindingly fast 🙂

That's also because it is a brand new system with almost nothing but Qt and Visual Studio installed. I also entirely removed the previous driver before installing the beta.

0 Likes