cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bbales2
Journeyman III

32 bit Fedora 8 + Linux Brook

I'm getting an error like this with both brook and cal (not exactly this -- but close enough, basically a line with the 'c->xlib.lock' stuff):

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6532373

I've tried the fixes that worked for the Java people (basically upgrading my libxcb packages and changing an environmental variable), but nothing works.

Truthfully, I haven't put much effort into fixing the problem, but if you guys have any hints, I'd appreciate them :].

Thanks,

Ben

0 Likes
5 Replies
alorenz
Journeyman III

Ben,

I assume your like me. You had your nice Fedora 9 waiting... but because of X and fglrx not getting their releases sync you were forced to dig out your Fedora 8 dvd and did a vanilla install. 

If this is true the simplest answer to the problem to do a yum update for all packages. Something like about 1000 files are upgraded take about 1-2 hr to download and do.  I watch Phoenix land on Mars while waiting, you have to pick something else. 

Originally I download xcb using git and rebuilt them....  However I also remember the XCBLIB_SLOPPY_LOCK=1 worked but it didn't work for me today....

Allen

0 Likes

Aha! So some packages need upgraded. I'll scout around some more. \

I'm running outdated Fedora 8 because I'm on dialup :].

I forgot to post this yesterday, but with the Fedora 9 developmental xcb packages (1.1-4), I get this long-winded error:

[bbales2@localhost lnx_x86_32]$ ./hello_brook_d Locking assertion failure. Backtrace: #0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0x7f4767] #1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0x7f4831] #2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0xff) [0xbaa12f] #3 /usr/local/amdcal/lib/libamdcalrt.so [0x52dde9] #4 /usr/local/amdcal/lib/libamdcalrt.so [0x52d8ae] #5 /usr/local/amdcal/lib/libamdcalrt.so [0x52c879] #6 /usr/local/amdcal/lib/libamdcalrt.so(calInit+0x55) [0x535855] #7 /usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib/libbrook_d.so(_ZN5brook10CALContext10initializeEPvb+0x4e) [0x15f008] #8 /usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib/libbrook_d.so(_ZN5brook10CALContext6createEPv+0x6a) [0x15f6ea] #9 /usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib/libbrook_d.so(_ZN5brook10CALRuntime6createEPv+0x5b) [0x15b711] #10 /usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib/libbrook_d.so(_ZN5brook7Runtime14CreateInstanceEPKcPvb+0x144) [0x1471e6] #11 /usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib/libbrook_d.so(_ZN5brook7Runtime11GetInstanceEPKcPvb+0x6f) [0x14736f] #12 /usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib/libbrook_d.so(_ZN5brook6streamC1EPKNS_10StreamTypeEz+0x13d) [0x148523] #13 ./hello_brook_d [0x804bac0] #14 /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0x8ec390] #15 ./hello_brook_d(__gxx_personality_v0+0x75) [0x8048fd1] X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) Major opcode of failed request: 147 () Minor opcode of failed request: 7 Serial number of failed request: 8 Current serial number in output stream: 8

I might try updating the libX11 or something. I rebuilt libbrook_d yesterday to no avail. I'll update you if I find anything.

Thanks for the help.

Ben

0 Likes

Do not even think of Fedora 9.  The present "beta" graphics driver needed to be updated frst for you even to have a chance.

I have seend post of the web of installing F9 and then downgrading the X stuff.  This sounds good in theory.

The package you need to update libxcb ...

0 Likes

Yeah, libxcb was what I was playing with. I'm going to try and build it from source now (and actually read some of its documentation :]).

If nothing else, I'll have broadband within a week so I'll do the full upgrade like you suggested or I'll just switch distros :].

Thanks for the help.

Ben

0 Likes

it's pretty easy to rebuild.

As for distrubtions, they all have strengths, and weaknesses.  If you enjoy Fedora I would suggest sticking with it.  I have used it and mostly happy.

0 Likes