cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Vynski
Exemplar

Name That Device

The beginning of the computer age, I guess began with the ABACUS.  A mechanical device that is a basic calculator.  Then the slide rule, etc. etc.

Just wondering if anyone in the community has ever seen one of these devices.

Yes the photo has been edited because it tells what it is.  I'll post the original in a week.

What is this device?What is this device?

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Ok, I'll do some research and post something within a few days.  Also, It's important that the person posting needs to identify the first correct answer, like you did.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

27 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I know what purpose it serves and think I know what it is called. It looks like a calendar.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I haven't seen one like that but I think it's a perpetual calendar device.

An example of a perpetual calendar.An example of a perpetual calendar.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yours appears to be a might fancier.

This + Ardruino + motor = Take my money

o7 in local
Key-J
Paragon

Definitely a calendar, really cool for sure.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

Here is the original photo.100 year calendar 1969-2069100 year calendar 1969-2069

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You should keep this discussion topic going with a weekly posting of some strange device.  It's fun to look back into history - especially computer components.

This is a cool idea. If only I had some strange devices lying around for show and tell...

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

All you need is a picture of something and the Internet is at your service.  That being said, I have a few old things.  But this is @Vynski 's idea so let's see what he wants to do with it.

Well it is somewhat of an early computer device like the Abacus, so it is somewhat relative in content.  

By the way, I love your quote about Einstein and how true it is.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Does everyone agree that we should continue this discussion topic with a periodic posting of some strange device?  @Vynski , it's your call.  Your last answer wasn't addressing this question.  I suggest that the first person to post a correct answer should be the one to post the next unknown device image.  How about it?

Yes, great idea! @Vynski your call 😉

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

That's fine with me.  I think we need to stay within the context of technology devices though.  For example, I still have my old high school calculator, it was called a "slide rule".  I've pulled it out of my desk drawer on occasion but never can remember how to read it.  I downloaded a few manuals for it, but they don't seem to help much.  But when I was in high school trigonometry I sure new how to read it (1966).

Yeh, I'm all for it.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My dad used a slide rule in engineering school.  He attended the University of Saskatchewan in Canada after WWII.  He had served as a radar operator for the Royal Canadian Air Force in Burma.  I still have it, but I never learned how to use it.

Hey one question about the slide rule.  Was your dad's one of the circular type are the ruler type?

I guess your the next one then, a perpetual calendar is correct.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Ok, I'll do some research and post something within a few days.  Also, It's important that the person posting needs to identify the first correct answer, like you did.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Here we go...a few hours as opposed to a few days.  What might this device be?  It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.  You might have seen one as a limited production item.

Is it a bird?  A plane? No, it's......Is it a bird? A plane? No, it's......

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Is nobody going to attempt to figure this one out?

I have 0 clue... but it looks like some kind of visor? (OK, I cheated and googled it... that should be enough of a hint. 😅)

Are these google AR glasses?! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think you have it there @Amber_AMD .  The picture is of the "Google Glass, Explorers Edition", which is a form of augmented reality.  So you get to post the next device, hopefully something mechanical / electrical / computer related.  I think @Wally_AMD was on the right track and provided a hint, but it's not really a visor.

Hey BigAl01!

I just now received the posting and it said 2 weeks ago.  Don't know what the problem was.

I was just getting ready to make another posting of 2 tools that every builder needs to keep handy.  1 of them is a salvaged part and the other DIY.  But, I missed your post and have to abide by the rules we made.  😀😀 

0 Likes

I remember when these things first came out.  Don't remember what they were called but were actually like a monitor.

0 Likes
Khizar111
Journeyman III

Naming something is somehow a difficult task. You can give it a special name or you can check its original name on google by scanning it from your device. You can find its solution through some websites

0 Likes
Khizar111
Journeyman III

You can search for its name in some websites like https://namecombiner.info/.

or you can scan this image and search about it on google about this.

Oh I have always known what it is.  It simulates the ABACUS of computing.  It's a 100 year calendar 1969 - 2069

0 Likes