cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

radonplasma
Adept I

Why would I get the "Kaveri type supported: NO" result?

I put together a new system just last month. These relevant are the specs:

A10-7870K

A88x

32 GiB DDR3-1600

R7 370

I currently have Ubuntu 14.04.3. Installation of the packages from the HSA Foundation's GitHub repo was successful, but kfd_check_installation still reports

Kaveri detected:............................Yes

Kaveri type supported:......................NO

radeon module is loaded:....................Yes

amdkfd module is loaded:....................Yes

AMD IOMMU V2 module is loaded:..............Yes

KFD device exists:..........................Yes

KFD device has correct permissions:.........Yes

Valid GPU ID is detected:...................Yes

Can run HSA.................................NO

Is the 7870K really incompatible with current HSA drivers, or is there something else wrong with my configuration?

0 Likes
8 Replies
bridgman
Staff

Sounds like the device ID might be missing somewhere, possibly just from the script itself.

Can you run "lspci -nn | grep VGA" to get the device ID then check if it appears in the kv_supported_types string ?

0 Likes

If I'm reading these right, lspci comes back with [1002:130f], and 130f is also listed in the shell script under the supported designations.

0 Likes

OK, that's wierd. Going from memory at the moment but I thought all the script did was check for your device ID in the string. Will go check.

You're installing from the github/hsafoundation repos not github/radeonopencompute, right ?

Maybe hack the following line to replace $kv_type_result with $kv_type, wondering if there's an upper/lower case thing happening:

echo -e "Kaveri type supported:......................$kv_type_result"

0 Likes

I double checked my copy; remote origin is https://github.com/HSAFoundation/HSA-Drivers-Linux-AMD.git.

The $kaveri_type string has the value:

130f

due to picking up both the Kaveri and Trinidad PRO GPU's. I do hope that I wouldn't have to pull my 370 just to make the runtime work, but I'd settle for waiting for a future revision if that's the case.

0 Likes

Ahh, OK, the script was written for an APU-only system. Let's ignore the script for now and see if your system actually works

Please take a look in /sys/devices/virtual/kfd/kfd/topology/nodes and see how many nodes appear. If there's just one node (probably named "0") then you're probably good to go, no nodes means something else went wrong during startup and two nodes means we aren't filtering out your dGPU properly.

0 Likes

ls /sys/devices/virtual/kfd/kfd/topology/nodes returns:

So far, so good.

0 Likes

I feel that I should apologize for my late response; bridgman​​'s most recent answer did indeed explain why the script wouldn't give the expected (positive) result. I've yet to really test this thing out, but it appears that it will work.

0 Likes
bred
Adept I

Hi  radonplasma ,may I asking the model of your motherboard ?

I want to buy a hsa system with the A10-7870K,too .

0 Likes