cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows® 10 Driver Support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

Windows® 10 Driver Support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

This document provides information about Windows® 10 driver support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products.

For the purpose of this document the term “Discrete Graphics” refers to a separate and detached adapter that is the designated primary graphics controller on a system.

This document does not apply to Integrated or On-die Graphics such as those found in motherboard chipsets and AMD APUs.   For more information about Windows 10 driver support for APU graphics please visit: Windows 10 Support for AMD APU systems

The content of this article is organized into the following sections:

• Discrete AMD Graphics Products Supporting Windows® 10
  • Discrete AMD Graphics Products That Do Not Support Windows® 10

Discrete AMD Graphics Products Supporting Windows® 10

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 2.0 and DirectX® 12:

• AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R7 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R5 Series Graphics (R5 240 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series and Radeon™ R5 M300 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series Graphics for notebooks
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics (HD 7730 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.3 and DirectX® 11:

• AMD Radeon™ HD 8470 and HD 8350 for OEM systems
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 7670 and below)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7600M and below)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 6000 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics

NOTE: If your graphics adapter is included on the list of supported products above, please install the latest AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Windows® 10 to fully enable its feature set. AMD Catalyst™ Driver can be downloaded from: http://www.amd.com/drivers

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.1 and DirectX® 10.1:

• ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics

These graphics products must be installed using display driver version: 8.970.100.9001. This driver is provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

NOTE: ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization on October, 2013. No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

Discrete AMD Graphics Products That Do Not Support Windows® 10

The following is a list of graphics products that do not have driver support Windows® 10:

• ATI Radeon™ X1### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon™ X1### Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ X### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon™ X### Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 9000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 8500 Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7500 Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ DDR Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7000 Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7000VE Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7000LE Graphics

Windows® 10 will install the default Microsoft® Basic Display Driver (MBDD) for these graphics adapters. MBDD provides basic display functionality (low resolutions and color) on a single monitor but DOES NOT support:

• Display scaling control
  • Multiple displays
  • Display rotation
  • Video capture
  • Power settings
  • VSync control
  • Brightness control on integrated display panels
  • AMD Catalyst™ Control Center

If your system is equipped with an AMD Radeon™ X1### Series product or older, you may consider the following options:

1. Continue using the existing operating system.
  2. If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and would like to revert back to the previous version of Windows, refer to this Microsoft page for instructions
  3. Upgrade to an AMD graphics product that provides Windows® 10 support. For information about resellers and product availability, visit: http://shop.amd.com

NOTE: Before upgrading ensure that your system meets the requirements of the graphics adapter, such as

1. Motherboard with compatible graphics card slot
  2. Adequate power supply unit to handle the complete system power requirement
  3. Display with compatible connections
Labels (1)
Comments

Blue Screen after upgrading from Windows 7 to  Windows 10.

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800. DirectX 11.2 installed.

When running amd-catalyst-15.7.1-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7 Windows crashes directly during Installation.

When running amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit or amd-catalyst-15.8beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-aug23 I got some error Messages during Installation and after reboot Windows crashes with a blue Screen after about 1 Minute.

Any ideas? Currently the system is running stable with Windows Default Driver.

What he said^^^

I have purchased 5 ATI/AMD cards over the years.....

Due to the lack of support for  driver in Windows 10...

I will no longer purchase ATI/AMD Products.

You guys just sold me on Nvidia products from now on.

Other Companies did it with older cards....so I guess they support "Their Purchasers" of their products.

See ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting SO OLD....one day snipping tool and videos work....next day they don't (even though I blocked my graphics from being updated)...so is it Windows causing my problems?   Just about ready to drop back to Win 7...such a hassle with security programs...WHY!!!!!

Right, why have these drivers messed up for supported cards such as mine? I clean install both the stable and beta drivers with no success, I am getting a massive performance decrease from a platform that was said to give a performance increase. I have noticed in some games a 60%+ decrease in my FPS. Windows 10 is not stable and causes more problems than it's worth. Sometimes I wish I'd have jumped onto the GTX bandwagon when upgrading my GPU! Incredibly disappointed. ray_m

For me, a guy named Andy agrb63 found a pretty cool workaround:

See RADEON HD 4000 SERIES WINDOWS 10 WORK AROUND FIX

My HDMI port quit working after upgrading to Windows 10. The VGA port works fine. I have tried many of the fixes for listed for this issue for upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

My System:

HP DV7-4285DX with switchable graphics.

Intel(R) HD Graphics

AMD Radeon HD6300M Series

Here's what I've done so far...

1) Downloaded the most recent drivers for my Intel(R) Graphics Card.

Outcome: It said the drivers installed were newer than the driver I was installing. Tried anyway, didn't work.

2) Uninstalled the driver and let windows update it.

Outcome: Black screen, then it restarted and installed the same driver it had before.

3) Tried installing the Windows 7 Driver for my Intel(R) Graphics Card in compatibility mode.

Outcome: Black screen, then it restarted and installed the same driver it had before.

4) Used auto detection from AMD Website, "you currently have the most current driver installed".

5) At this point, I tried the last resort. I spun around three times in a circle and spit in the corner.

Outcome: Wife yelled at me and kids thought I had a demon.

Please help, I use this computer in the office to connect to a TV and I NEED my HDMI port.

You can reply to this thread....

HDMI Port not working after Windows 10 Upgrade

Everyone,

Although AMD writes they will not and Windows 10 does not support certain graphic cards, don't worry.  It does work.  I have the Radeon HD 4800 GPU which works just fine in 1920 x 1080 mode.  I was getting Video_TDR_Failure errors recently after a win10 update in july/aug.  The jan 2015 driver included in win10 caused video_tdr_failure at the higher video rate.  The July 2015 driver didn't cause VTF but it 'disabled' / didn't use the GPU. So that wasn't an option for me.

I fixed it by manually reverting to the older 2013 AMD driver.  This took some patience and experimentation because the AMD's CIM (control information manager) didn't install correctly.  Luckily the install package unzipped all the necessary files. So I used Device Manager > display adapters > ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series > Properties > Driver > Update Driver > Browser my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers > Have Disk > Browse.

Now this is where it was trial and error.  I just kept guessing at what seemed to be the right 64bit driver within folders until the "Install from Disk" dialog box accepted one of the many *.inf files.  Once accepted it would produce a list of GPUs supported by that *.inf.  Some where not my GPU so i canceled and retried until i found one for 4800.

Now the driver date is 11/16/2012 version 8.970.100.7000.  Seems stable.  Doesn't seem to over heat my GPU ... i used speedfan to check.

There are other solutions listed out there such as ...

increase TDR (timeout detection and recovery) from 2 to 8.  I can't recall the link but a search should find it.

I wish amd and MS would stop 'forcing' upgrading hardware when none is required.  It's quite a racket.

Hope this helps others.

Still no snipping tool and half of the videos I try to watch are black screen with audio....will let this perk for maybe a week (if I have the patience) and then fallback to win7...tied of "it works!", "it doesn't work", "it works......I have blocked updates to video driver from AMD that was working....should I remove the block or is this all coming from changes being made on win10? 

Somebody who has a good grasp on this please advise what I should do.....

OH LOOK!  Windows 10 updates applied and my snipping tool and videos are working again....

First, why is that Facebook, Twitter etc crap right where I want to read or type?

I'm angry and want you to solve my problem free. My $1000+, 5 year-old Gateway computer

won't run Windows 10 because YOUR card is obsolete. That's not right!

I switched from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The problem I have and that I can not solve is that my 24-inch LED screen has 4 edges blacks on all sides and I can not see in full screen. Even the characters are not seen clearly the characters. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon, integrated in the motherboard, Series 3100. There aren't still the drivers for the new operating system in Amd Site. The resolution is set to 1920x1080 properly. I also tried to install the drivers for Win 8.1 64 bit, but I haven't solved. Amd Vision Engine Control Center does not allow me to set the overscan option for enlarge the screen. Is there a solution? I apologize for my imperfect English, I write fromIMG_2406(1).jpg Italy.

Above didn't fix it.  A clean install of Windows 10 build 10240 did.  See ...

Clean install of Windows 10 build 10532 fixed video_tdr_failure with my Radeon HD 4800!

Can I download this build from official site of Microsoft?

AMD is just bullying the old users to refresh their products so that more business is generated. Even if their own products have been working just fine till now.

I was part of Windows 10 Insider program and everything worked fine till AMD pushed a driver update on 15-07-2015. After that update, the OS recognized only Microsoft's basic display adapter and just refused to see the AMD driver. CCC also stopped working.

I however tried a workaround. This might help the worried users here till AMD actually listens to its customers and provides a working update. I have successfully switched to the older driver from 13-01-2015. Please note that some apps especially games may not work. Although I haven't faced too many problems, I did observe that some live tiles weren't showing anything anymore.. Click on the link below:

ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4500 - Driver update on Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

With Windows 10 on my desktop PC for only 4 days and dealing with multiple problems (including the horizontally stretched screen that Microsoft attributed to AMD hardware), it didn't occur to me that the newly-downloaded OS could be out-of-date. It was!

I downloaded updates this morning and it cured THAT problem. There are still many others, but the AMD display "problem" seems to be corrected. I'm still getting some pixilation on fast-moving YouTube videos, but it's not severe. THANKS to all who offered suggestions and were so willing to help... greatly appreciated ! ! !

Does anybody know where to download Drivers from 13-01-2015? I cannot find some older versions on amd Driver site 😞

I have a HD radeon R7 290 running windows 10 64 bit and the graphics driver is constantly crashing!

Please see previous entries in this forum:

See attached for instructions from NavyLCR to go back to the older driver which now seem to work:

Windows 10 Forums

I would still like AMD to confirm that we can use these old drivers in windows 10 rather than telling everyone to get a new card.

I have not yet unsubscribed to this forum for trouble with the AMD Graphics Driver problem and the fact AMD wants you to upgrade your card instead of updating your drivers for AMD Graphics Cards, I moved from AMD cards because of this and lack of response to the problem.... to nVidia GeForce as I looked on their web site and seen they had put out updated drivers for their Graphics Cards and supported and appreciated their customers, unlike AMD has done with its long time customers..... I feel sorry for all you guys who have to stay with AMD Graphics cards, I still like AMD CPU..however when I build systems now mine and for my business ( for customers ) I will use nVidia and promote nVidia.... along with letting customers know that I think it best not to use AMD cards..... well the disconnect I was getting in LOTRO game has stopped since I updated my two cards to nVidia, I thought the game for the last few years was shutting down because of my router and that it had a problem, but since I switched to the new Graphics card the problem has stopped.... very happy that I switched, I am going to unsubscribe to this forum and wish you all the best and hope you get new drivers from AMD and support or that you move to nVidia like me and send a STRONG MESSAGE TO AMD GRAPHIC CARD DIVISION, think that is the only way they are going to get it. Take care and best wishes.  Daniel G

There are a lot of potential solutions out there.

One I haven't seen reported but works for me is to reduce GPU temperature to around 42C ...

Windows 10 video_tdr_failure fixed by increasing GPU fan to 40% brings temp down to 42C

giadacWindows 10

Thanks, Daniel -

I'm not a computer geek, so I'm somewhat confused about what is hardware vs software (antiquated terms, I suppose), but some

people are talking about the AMD device as something that is a physical, inseparable part of the motherboard in my desktop PC, while others

seem to imply that it's a card that can be removed and replaced. Still others seem to be saying that it's just something that can be updated some way over the internet... a download action of some sort. I got the stretched screen solved by downloading the updates to Windows 10... very surprising, since I had only installed it two days earlier !!! Sadly the problem returned briefly the next day, although it went away on re-boot. So, I hold my breath hoping it doesn't return.

Thanks for your reply.

Roger

Ray got a question......I have a AMD A6-3420M Llano APU, But built in is a AMD Radeon HD 6520G, so my question is why can't i install display driver in windows 10 when the 6520G is supported in windows 10?

Please refer to the following document: Windows 10 Driver Support for AMD APU Graphics Products

Hi Roger...graphic cards (hardware) in desktop computers are normally able to be replaced....graphic cards in a laptop usually cannot be replaced (due to compact design/space limitations)...all graphic cards need software to utilize them with the computer software...

Hope this helps...

DebbyO

Micemc2k...I also have AMD Radeon HD 6520G installed in my laptop...I have issues with watching videos, playing Words With Friends and using my snipping tool to save images....I froze my AMD driver (the one from 7/15, which worked great on my laptop the first week after installing W10) from being automatically updated by W10...it appears that certain updates being applied by other software companies are affecting how my graphics are working...some days things work great, other days they don't...I guess we just have to "wait it out" until things settle down...

Try going into internet options and turn off hardware asseleration, it help me with the video problems

HELP!
My computer is i7 4790K + MSI Z97 GD65 + 16gb DDR3 2400 GSKILL + Radeon HD 7970 Sapphire + Monitor BENQ XL2720Z.
I installed Windows 10 PRO 64bit in my computer, and i installed lastest Catalyst driver 15.7.1 for windows 10 version.
The driver is bugged, GPU SCALING IS NOT WORKING TO FULL SCREEN !!!!
On CCC, i enable "gpu scaling" and configure it to "scale to full screen".
When i try run Starcraft Broodwar, it dont works on full screen.
I uninstalled Catalyst 15.7.1, and i tried 15.8 beta, and still not works. I tried 15.7 version too, same problem.
Can someone help me?

When a can we see a fix for R9 300 series drivers? I bought a R9 390 2 months back and get nothing but driver crashes on any graphics intensive game.

I have an old Packard Bell in 2008 with an ATI Radeon Xpress 200m

If I upgrade to Windows 10 I get a Microsoft Basic adapter with a worse resolution. In Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 worked the ATI Radeon Xpress 200m. Commonplace. in Windows 10 was the ATI Radeon Xpress 200m not suitable, please contact the leveranncier says Windows 10.

The solution is to go after upgrading from Windows 10 to Device Manager and the video adapter, there's so Microsoft Basic adapter try to refresh him, not with the Internet but your own hard drive to the directory created in Windows 10: Go to Windows.old Then in Windows.old to windows and then to system32. Arrived at this point, lets look and see the miracle happen, the Microsoft Basic adapter is replaced by ATI Radeon Xpress 200m which is from 2006. For me it works.

You get the same resolution as in the previous Windows.

I have a radeon hd 7340 graphics card with driver 15.201.1151.0. Is this the most current driver? I have windows 10 and all my videos are slow and choppy.

And consequently after years of loyal support and being left out in the cold and forced to throw a graphics card that cost me several hundred dollars In the trash i will never by an amd product of any kind. Whether it be a graphics card or a processor. If I can't count on you to support your own products or customers  then I will never again support your company. Farewell and goodbye. nVidia and Intel keeps looking better everyday.

seit Windows 10 freezen alle spiele nach einer weile. jetzt habe ich festgestellt, dass wenn ich den fenstermodus aktiviere läuft alles bestens.

habe schon alles gestestet alle Hardware io. Treiber alle aktuell.

amd Radeon HD 7870

Hey guys!

I have had R9 290, but she has of these days fell away the processor. And now the card repairs for 45 days. Maybe she even would die

I was only saved by the fact that at home was an old HD4870.

I have operating system is Windows10.

How can I install the driver 13.9 for 4870 that I could continue playing in the DragonAge Inkuisition

Do not tell me that I should remove the license for Windows 10 and install pirated Windows 7

amd can you please craeate driwer for card 4700 hd x64

My Laptop somehow did not get DirectX 12 eventhough the Discreet GPU HD 8750M is on the list which under 8000M. Is it because the APU GPU from Procesor A8-8550M that is HD 8550G is under the Legacy List ?

Can you Solved it guy so the Discreet GPU can get DirectX 12 without tampering the APU GPU

I'm using a hd6670, the only game i play is diablo 3. The latest available drivers break this game, but as i understood there will be no new drivers for this card?

win10x64, fx8350, hd6670.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎08-11-2015 10:56 AM
Updated by:

Contributors