cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is Virtual Super Resolution and How Does It Work?

AMD’s Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) feature is designed to automatically re-render games at higher resolutions (up to 4K) and then displaying that content at a lower resolution supported by the available monitor.

When this feature is enabled, Virtual Super Resolutions beyond the native resolution of the display device will be available in a wide variety of games and applications, including the Windows® desktop. Effectively, VSR provides a Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing (SSAA) feature for the games and applications that do not natively support that functionality.

The real benefit of VSR occurs while playing your games and applications. Comparing ‘before and after’ screenshots is one way to understand and illustrate the benefits. Zooming in on specific areas of the images can bring those benefits into focus.

In addition to the quality benefits associated with rendering at a higher resolution, VSR can improve the user experience by providing a wider or more complete view. This aspect of the feature can be beneficial in real-time strategy or world-building games, for example, where seeing more of the world can give the user an edge.

VSR works independent of the game engine. As long as the game title can support the higher resolutions enabled by VSR, this feature should work.

Product Support for VSR:

AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury SeriesAMD Radeon™ R9 280 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 390 SeriesAMD Radeon™ R9 270 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 380 SeriesAMD Radeon™ R7 260 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 370 SeriesAMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 360 SeriesAMD Radeon™ HD 7800 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2AMD Radeon™ HD 7790 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 290 SeriesDesktop A-Series 7400K APUs and above

Supported Modes:

Target Display TimingSupported VSR Modes
1366 X 768 @ 60Hz1600 X 900
1920 X 1080
1600 X 900 @ 60Hz1920 X 1080
1920 X 1080 @ 60Hz2560 X 1440
3200 X 1800
3840 X 2160 (AMD Radeon™ R9 285, AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series)
1920 X 1200 @ 60Hz2048 X 1536
2560 X 1600
3840 X 2400 (AMD Radeon™ R9 285, AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series)
2560 X 1440 @ 60Hz3200 X 1800

How to Enable Virtual Super Resolution

Enabling VSR using the AMD Radeon Settings

• Right click on the Desktop and choose AMD Radeon Settings

1.png

• Click Display

1.png

• Switch on Virtual Super Resolution

2.png

Launch a game and go into the Video/Graphics menu and you will now be able to select a HIGHER resolution than your display's native resolution. (Please refer to the supported modes table for supported VSR resolutions)

Enabling VSR using the AMD Catalyst Control Center

• Open AMD Catalyst™ Control Center (CCC)
  • Use the Preferences to switch to Advanced Mode, if it's not already running
  • Open the 'My Digital Flat Panels' page
  • Place a checkmark in the 'Enable virtual super resolution' checkbox and click Apply.
  • Below is a screen capture of the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center showing the settings tab to enable VSR.

Launch a game and go into the Video/Graphics menu and you will now be able to select a HIGHER resolution than your display's native resolution. (Please refer to the supported modes table for supported VSR resolutions)

The Windows® desktop can also be configured in a similar way, if the VSR benefits are desired for applications that run on the desktop or in a window.

1. Right-click on the Windows desktop

2. Choose 'Desktop Settings' from the pop-up menu.

3. Click ‘Advanced Display Settings’.

4. When VSR is enabled, you will see additional resolutions in the list. Please note that when using VSR on Windows® desktop, text may appear blurry.

The Windows® desktop can also be configured in a similar way, if the VSR benefits are desired for applications that run on the desktop or in a window. Right-click on the Windows desktop and choose 'Screen resolution' from the pop-up menu. When VSR is enabled, you will see additional resolutions in the list. Please note that when using VSR on Windows® desktop, text may appear blurry.

Important Information:

While we have attempted to support as many resolutions as possible with our Virtual Super Resolution technology, please be aware that not all resolutions are supported on all products.

If your Graphics Product supports Virtual Super Resolution, the Virtual Super Resolution feature will only appear as a selectable option within the AMD Catalyst Control Center if the current display resolution is set to an appropriate “Target Display Timing”. Please see the chart below for Target Display Timings and Supported VSR Modes that are available on most products. Again, “Supported VSR Modes” may vary from what is indicated the chart depending on the Graphics Product you are using.

Labels (1)
Comments

This is excellent work from my friend and colleague MattB. Clearly explains all you need to know about VSR !

Excellent explanation. It cleared up the couple of questions I had.

Thanks!

So why can you use 3840x2400 with 1920x1200, but not with 2560x1600?

Why doesn't it give multiples of your native resolution like nvidia's DSR?

Thanny, my monitor is 1920x1200 and the only choices I have in games are 2048x1536 and 2560x1600. Desktop choice is 1920x1200 or 2560x1600. Are you forcing 3840x2400 ?

You're misunderstanding.  My display is 2560x1600.  There are no VSR options for that resolution, despite the fact that a suitable target exists at the same aspect ratio with a display at 1920x1200.  And for 2560x1440, there's 3200x1800, but not 3840x2160.

Either these choices were absurd or constrained by some kind of technical limitation.  I'd like to know which.

Ok... I misunderstood..I thought I was missing out on something

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that we're continuing to look at ways we can improve on our Virtual Super Resolution Technology. This includes adding more supported resolutions to the list and expanding our product support.

Please feel free to post any feedback here and I will ensure it reaches the right people within AMD.

Thanks,

Matt

what determines the radius of visibility in various games?
I tested this feature in witcher 3, hots, heretic kingdoms, etc, but visibility zone absolutely not changed.

Of course, many games are not designed for 4K and apart from the catastrophic reduction of the interface, nothing happens. but even the desktop\web becomes difficult to read.

I am using HD 7970 and I have Asus pb278Q display(2560x1440). I run VSR but i cant get 3200x1800 resolution. The only other resolution i get when i enable vsr is 2048x1536. Is something wrong with my driver or is it a hardware issue?

VSR is completely missing in 15.8 driver on 7970.

Ooh, good thing I happened upon this thread.

Any chance of getting 5:4 resolutions supported? 1280x1024 Is the typical resolution of 5:4 monitors, which ain't much better than 1280x720. Being able to downscale would be pretty damn swanky.

Why is 3840x2160 disallowed when using a 1920x1080 monitor on a Hawaii/Grenada GPU? Using hacked drivers to enable it, it worked fine, until more recent driver releases have broken the hack.

I want an official explanation. It doesn't make any sense.

I have two video cards 280x and 7970, and two monitor with 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440, but I cannot turn Super resolution 3200 x 1800, there is only a maximum 2560 x 1440

у меня есть две видеокарты 280x и 7970, и два монитора с 1920 x 1080 и 2560 x 1440, но я не могу включить супер разрешение 3200 x 1800, есть только 2560 x 1440 максимальное.

Please refer to the following document:

pastedImage_0.png

black and white is written http://prntscr.com/91l4mb, I have no such permission, why?

My previous response also provided, from the same article, the fact that not all resolutions are supported on all products.

This is not the answer, why AMD introduces people in confusion, then write what cards which permissions support

Wow still no 21:9 VSR support. Thanks for adding useless functions in the nee driver inszead

21:9 VSR not supprot  I wish AMD can add 2560*1080 that be good

I lost VSR support on update 15.11 with my Radeon HD 7970.

I've a non-AMD related question;

It relates to 2 specific games, Cities Skylines and Fallout 4

Followed the guide, and set things up according to the the support table, this should work:

- Windows is (has been) set to: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz

- Cities Skylines now allows a resolution of 2560x1440 in the drop down

However, I hit Apply in the game and it immediately reverts it to 1920x1090 and cannot figure out why.

-Fallout 4 does not offer a bigger resolution in the drop down, so I edited the .ini where I changed the resolution accordingly.

The result is that it is cropped from top left, as if only a smaller part of the bigger image could fit on the screen (no scaling back).

Is there any solution to these? I realize these are not AMD-related settings though (out of scope).

p.s. Crimson gave a performance boost to Fallout 4 nevertheless love it!

Thanks!

I had an Nvidia GTX 970 before, where I ran 2880 x 1620 on DSR @144Hz with no problems. I used to love my 280X I had when I used it on my 60Hz monitor.

Yesterday I got an MSI 290X Lightning, and I cannot run any VSR resolutions on 144Hz - All are 120Hz and lower, most are 60Hz actually.

Considering the 970 and 290X are pretty equally matched in terms of processing power, I am really disappointed in this realisation. I thought going back to AMD would be a forward step, but now I am really disappointed. I don't like the way jaggies are processed with AA, I loved the natural way they look with DSR(VSR).

I sincerely hope this can be added sometime soon.

Yay! I "recovered" my VSR option!

It seems that I had some problems with Windows 10. I never checked the VSR option ever since upgrading to Windows 10. Then I upgraded CCC to Radeon Settings and saw that VSR was greyed out. 

I never got the 1511 update of Windows 10 and I waited 1 month until yesterday. I decided to try to get the update with Windows 10 disc. I selected the "Upgrade this PC now" and then it downloaded some updates and installed them. After the reboot, I received a notification that I could activate VSR in Radeon Settings and something about DPI.

Mind that I still didn't get 1511 update until I tried the same procedure as mentioned above but with Media Creation Tool.

So now everything is working fine for me with Radeon Settings except that it hangs a bit  when clicking on the "Gaming" tab (Loading all my games...).

I need help! I just downloaded the newest AMD software and suite. Using a 720 plasma TV as my display, I attempted to use this feature. It distorted the picture, so I turned it off. After turning it off, I now get a message from the TV stating that it is an "invalid format." It was working just fine until I attempted to "maximize" the display, as the suite suggested.

Any help or ideas would be most appreciated.

I would like to have the input of AMD concerning the fact that when you are using a 1440p screen , 4k resolution (3840 X 2400) is not available! only 3200x1800 on witch the aspect ratio is not even respected! 😞 

anybody have an explanation please?

THX

Please add 4K "Virtual Super Resolution" to Crossfire enabled R7 370

Will there be an option to select different resolutions when enabling VSR in future crimson driver releases for windows 10?  I notice this option is non-existent in the current official drivers for my R9 Nano card in win 10, The current crimson software package only enables me to either turn it on or off, so what resolution is this gong to set VSR at?  4K ?

jegagnie wrote:

I would like to have the input of AMD concerning the fact that when you are using a 1440p screen , 4k resolution (3840 X 2400) is not available! only 3200x1800 on witch the aspect ratio is not even respected! 😞 

anybody have an explanation please?

THX

As there is no such thing as a "1440p" screen, I'm going to assume you mean a 2560x1440 display, which has an aspect ratio of 16:9.  The resolution you cite as supported with VSR, 3200x1800, also has an aspect ratio of 16:9.  The "4k" resolution you cite, 3840x2400, is a rare resolution which has an aspect ratio of 16:10, and would therefore be a suitable VSR resolution for someone with a 2560x1600 display.

3840x2160 would be the higher resolution that you apparently want, as that's shares a 16:9 aspect ratio with 2560x1440.

Ok, i must admit my choice of word wasn't the best and i might have mixed up a few things in there lol I will re formulate!

Why when using a 2560x1440 display, is 3840x2160 not listed for VSR ? We are limited to 3200x1800...

There is nothing wrong with using the term "1440p screen" its pretty obvious what was intended here. Commonly known as "2K" in enthusiasts circles. Even Wikipedia points to it easily enough, and google knows what it means too...

sologuy wrote:

There is nothing wrong with using the term "1440p screen" its pretty obvious what was intended here. Commonly known as "2K" in enthusiasts circles. Even Wikipedia points to it easily enough, and google knows what it means too...

A term is not useful when it's ambiguous.  The terms 720p and 1080p (or 1080i) are unambiguous because they come from the high definition television standard.  The horizontal resolution for each is explicitly defined as 1280 and 1920, respectively.

Taking the vertical part of another resolution and adding "p" may seem like a good idea to an uninformed person (and that is, no doubt, how such trends started), but it's not.  It just adds confusion, since there are invariably multiple resolutions of different aspect ratios with the same number of lines.  In this case, another common resolution with 1440 lines is 1920x1440.

Couple with that the fact that the person in question explicitly stated that a resolution of 3200x1800 did not share the same aspect ratio of the "1440p" display, and a direct reading would lead one to conclude that it was not, in fact, a 2560x1440 display (which it turns out it was).  So the ambiguity from incorrect terminology did, in fact, add confusion to the discussion.  And adding confusion is most definitely something wrong, not nothing wrong.

Can you guys add how to setup our games like what all we need to enable/disable while using VSR so our textures are not cloudy?

Can u guys help me... my current version of crimson is 15.12 and VSR is not supported

my GPU is Sapphire Radeon R9 280X vapor-x tri-x OC 3GB ddr5
and my monitor is a ASUS v329H 1080p 60Hz

you guys said Product Support for VSR: AMD Radeon™ R9 280 Series
how come VSR is not supported on my GPU..??

Thanks and God Bless!

how donta ,thanks for nice answer, its must helpful for me.

You need to get reshade and use a sharpener. Just do a google search.

Try Crimson 16.1.1

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-22-2015 03:05 AM
Updated by:

Contributors