cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ: Windows® 10 Driver and AMD Graphics Product Compatibility

This document provides answers to frequently asked questions about Windows® 10 drivers and AMD graphics product compatibility.

Will my graphics adapter work in Windows® 10 if it does not support DirectX® 12?

The following products should work fully in Windows® 10 but will not support DirectX® 12 specific features.

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.3 and DirectX® 11 on Windows® 10:

• AMD Radeon™ HD 8470 and HD 8350 for OEM systems
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 7670 and below)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7600M and below)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 6000 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.3 and DirectX® 11 on Windows® 10

• AMD A4-7300 APUs
  • AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-6000 Series APUs
  • AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-5000 Series APUs (except A4-5000, A4-5100, and A6-5200)
  • AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-4000 Series APUs

NOTE: If your graphics adapter is included on the list of supported products above, please install the latest AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Windows® 10 to fully enable its feature set. AMD Catalyst™ Driver can be downloaded from: http://www.amd.com/drivers/external-link.jspa?url=http://www.amd.com/drivers

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.1 and DirectX® 10.1:

• ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics

These graphics products must be installed using display driver version: 8.970.100.9001. This driver is provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

NOTE: ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization on October, 2013. No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:

• AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
  • AMD E2-2000 APU
  • AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
  • AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
  • AMD C-Series APUs
  • AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

Can I use Windows® 7 or Windows® 8.1 graphics driver for Windows® 10?

No. You should only use the official AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Windows 10 or use Windows​ Update to install a suitable driver for your product.

Should I upgrade my graphics drivers before updating my existing OS to Windows® 10?

When installing Windows® 10, the OS will install standard drivers for the graphics adapter. Once the OS installation is complete, you can then download and install the latest AMD Catalyst™ drivers from the AMD website.​

Which AMD graphics products can fully support Windows® 10?

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 2.0, DirectX® 12 and will provide the complete Windows® 10 experience:

• AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R7 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R5 Series Graphics (R5 240 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series and Radeon™ R5 M300 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series Graphics for notebooks
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics (HD 7730 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)

The following AMD APU products support up to WDDM 2.0, DirectX® and will provide the complete Windows® 10 experience:

• AMD A6/A8/A10/FX-8000 Series APUs
  • AMD A4 Pro/A6 Pro/A8 Pro/A10 Pro/A12 Pro-8000 Series APUs
  • AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8/A10/FX-7000 Series APUs (except A4-7300 APUs)
  • AMD A4 Pro/A6 Pro/A8 Pro/A10 Pro-7000 Series APUs
  • AMD E1/E2/A4/A6-6#10 Series APUs
  • AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs
  • AMD A4-5000, A4-5100 and A6-5200 APUs
  • AMD Athlon 5000 series APUs
  • AMD Sempron 2650 and 3850 APUs
  • AMD E1-2000 Series and E2-3000 Series APUs
  • AMD A4/A6-1000 Series APUs

Windows® 10 compatibility checker indicates that my graphics adapter isn't supported, but according to AMD, it is.

If your graphics adapter is on the AMD supported products list, please ignore the error message.  We are working with Microsoft®​ to correct the issue.​

​​​​

How do I know if my current system hardware is compatible with Windows® 10?

The Windows® 10 Compatibility Checker should be used to verify hardware compatibility.  The Checker is part of “The Get Windows 10” app, which is being delivered via Windows Update.  In order to obtain The Get Windows 10 app from Windows Update, your system must have KB3035583​ installed.

My current graphics adapter supports DirectX® 11; will I see performance drop if I make the switch to Windows® 10?

Performance should not be affected since DirectX® 11 is supported by Windows® 10. However, the graphics adapter will not be able to take advantage of DirectX® 12 enhancements.​

Will DirectX® 9 and DirectX® 10 games be compatible with Windows® 10?

Yes. DirectX® 9 and DirectX® 10 games will continue to work in Windows® 10.​

Labels (1)
Comments

I modded  the 15.10 beta inf files and installed it on e450 hd6320,  it works perfectly i have been using it for 2 weeks with no problems so far.

Thank you AMD for wasting my time, first reading pages and pages of forums, second learning how to mod a frkn .inf driver file by trial and error ...

will try 15.11 if i have the time and post back.

what pisses me off is why AMD doesn't release the drivers WITH support for hd6000 APUs if they already work on them ......

A disappointed customer.

The amd 15.7 driver supports your APU according to the AMD side.Do you encounder problems when installing the driver from device manager(that is,not running the driver installation via the setup,but extrating the driver from it ).Do you need Catalyst/Vision control center in order to adjust parameters?

DXVA and other features do not work on the 15.7 driver, not to mention the screen flashes.

no i do not care about the parameters to be honest, i just want to watch YouTube and not have my PC crash when the screensaver starts...

this driver is also installed automatically by windows 10 and it is very hard to stop it from doing so, i also had to read pages and pages of forums and spends hours with asus and microsoft support to learn how to do that...

15.10 beta works great with the modded .inf

I find that a bit odd,but I'm glad it works for you.As a side note,if you are not a gamer and you do not experience performance issues,do not update drivers since they can mean a lot of trouble.Looking within the microsoft update catalog for your gpu I find that it lists the cat 15.2 as the latest available driver.Are you sure it is 15.7?

15.2.xxxxxxxxxxxx is the driver version.   15.7 is the catalyst version.    if i recall correctly windows 10 installs the same driver that is installed by catalyst 15.7.

this machine cant play games with a 1.6ghz dual core anw ,  i use it as an htpc / media server.

anw, beta 15.6 and beta 15.8 also work perfectly.

for 15.8   hd6320​   modded the .inf .   i had to format my PC and couldnt find a download link for the 15.8 beta anymore, so i had to do it myself for 15.10 !

I'm having troubles with my AMD HD 7400M. Whenever I go lower than 60% brightness the screen goes totally dark, If I go further (no matter how much) the screen goes to maximum brightness. There's more people having this issue. Is it already reported and will it be fixed??

Thanks in advance.

On what operating system and on what driver set do you experience this issue?

People who own

• AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
  • AMD E2-2000 APU
  • AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
  • AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
  • AMD C-Series APUs
  • AMD Z-Series APUs

will most likely won't buy AMD hardware anymore. You're forcing us to mod driver for Windows 10, reboot to 'disable driver signature enforcement' mode, install modified driver, reboot and run Microsoft tool to hide graphic driver 'update', because Windows 10 overrides newer non-WHQL driver with older WHQL one. All this because of you decided to remove few lines from C0*.inf files. Shame on you AMD. There is absolutely no reason to do so. People will remember this when they go buy new hardware.

Will the Crimson Beta driver work with a modded INF? Can I use the INF in the original post or is there a newer one available?

This is the final driver we're gonna get for our old VLIW4/5 GPUs.

R9 Products support the full windows experience.

By full windows experience they mean poor performance, and black screens while watching movies, Im getting it.

Do you own an r9 series GPU?If so,what issues do you have with it?

I have the R9 200 running with Windows 10 64bit and when monitors are set to turn off after x minutes upon resuming the complete system crashes! I have tried all drivers like may here already but nothing works and for the duration that this issue has been going on for really has become annoying to say the least.

excuseme i tried to send a email for the Support the form do not work  and excuse my english

I have a computer witrh a graphics card Amd radeon Hd 6570 and the amd FX 6100 procesors , the system was worked good and without problems but when update the system a the last SO versión (the sistema have dual boot Linux and Windows) the system have graphics problema show me black screen after loggin, (the loggin screen function good) , i am thinking the problema is because bott system using dinamic desktop , for example in Linux the problema start when i update my Linux (debían from Squeze to Jessie) and  for Windows when i update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 , for Linux after loggin, the current or active Windows is black  for example y you do it sabe the sabe Windows is black and you can not see, the active Windows  is black , and i need to maximize the Windows or change the active Windows for see anythings and after when the Windows is again active is black again , i am thinking is a refresh problema because may be only for the protion of screen that belongs to active Windows, in the Windows 10 the problem is very resembling the loggin Windows is function good but after i logging the screen is all black and i can not see anythings , i am thinking because is a dinamyc desktop, but i i used ctrl alt supr and execute program for the task administrator functión good  but the normal desktop no is visible,       ,

Tengo un computador que tienen una tarjeta de video AMD Radeon HD 6570 y un procesador Amd Fx 6100, el sistema funcionaba perfectamente pero al actualizarlo a las ultimas versiones de sistema operativo (tiene dual boot) el sistema tiene problemas me muestra la pantalla negra después de loguearme (creo que es un problema de refresco ya que la ventana de logueo se ve bien), en Linux me empezó a pasar al actualizar el sistema a la ultima versión (Debian de Squeeze a Jessie)  y Windows al pasar de Windows 7 a Windows 10 , en ambos casos estoy usando la ultima versión del driver catalyst para el sistema operativo respectivo, creo que es un problema asociado al refresco de la ventana activa ya que sobre Linux el problema es mas álgido cuando la ventana activa es una porción de la ventana total , para resolverlo parcialmente máximo cada ventana que uso , pero la ventana activa por ejemplo al abrir una ventana de guardado esa porcion de la pantalla se pone negra y por eso creo que el problema tienen que ver con el refresco de la ventana activa, la pantalla inicial normalmente se ve bien, sobre Windows 10 el sistema me muestra correctamente la pantalla de logueo pero después de loguearme  la pantalla que me muestra queda completamente negra, creo que esto tiene que ver con el tema de que el modelo de escritorio es dinamico y al hacer este refresco dinamico no pinta (refresca) adecuadamente los pixeles y por eso la pantalla queda negra  

I have HD7570M gpu . I couldnt install the new Crimson update . So there wont be any new software updates for all the gpu below 7700M+.

I couldnt intall the latest crimson update for my HD7570M . Why is that ? Doesnt it support my gpu?

That is correct,all Non-GCN core GPUs have been moved to legacy support,that doesn't mean though that you lose Gpu functionality.If Crimson driver fails then install 15.7,it supports your gpu.

Windows 10 Pro build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156. GW Profile 6 All-in-One. Intel Core2 Duo 6700 2.67 GHz. HD R5450. Realtek sound.

Warning "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly." Device manager shows "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Monitor defaults to Microsoft Default Monitor.

Graphics is ok on built-in monitor; nothing great. Extended monitor on HDMI TV not detected. HDMI sound cannot be turned on. Not a gaming device but very much a video system.

Radeon 15.x and 16.1 makes no difference. Microsoft has had problems with Realtek drivers so no sound is not a surprise.

When system first powers up, dual boot screen appears on monitor and TV (almost like it doesn't report a problem). I choose Linux Mint 17; my system of choice.

Linux finds the extended HDMI TV automatically. 2 clicks later and HDMI digital speakers are the default. I must be the smartest person in the world. Even Microsoft can't figure out how to do this!!! Or maybe, since dropping to the # 3 operating system, they simply don't give a....

Shame on you AMD for accepting Microsoft's decision to not support your fully functional peripherals. Unless AMD also has decided to not give a...

I see a pattern.

If the device is reporting problems it means either that the driver is incompatible or that the gpu is failing.In either case Windows reverts to the Microsoft Standard VGA adapter which offers only basic functionality,not allowing you to use HDMI .

Exactly. Windows 10 claims the drivers are incompatible. Yet Linux has absolutely no problem taking full advantage of the HD R5450 HDMI and High Def sound.

So, it must boil down to two points. Microsoft is incapable or unwilling to deduce what is obvious to Linux. Or AMD is not providing Microsoft with the info they want. It would be in Microsoft's favor to be compatible with whatever hardware is thrown at it since the hardware is historically far ahead of the software.

The only logical reason AMD would not provide compatible drivers for cards they are still selling is if they are forcing the sales of their more expensive graphics cards; as if they are so filthy rich that they can throw out perfectly good hardware. They can throw them all my way. I will find a home for these poor misfit toys.

My point here is for those who are wondering if their HD 5000 series cards are defective or useless. They are not; as is proven when installed on the #1 op system - Linux. 

Hello,what catalyst or what crimson version are you trying to install?Is your os x86 or x64?

When windows 10 was released theren were posts on insider programme threads that hd6###d graphics did show dx12 and the new wddm as being supported on pre release builds.  Since upgrading to windows 10 (purely because of dx12); after its release, i have not once been able to install a working driver from amd website for my A8 3870K apu giving hd6550d graphics.    The amd install and uninstall instructions linked to on driver webpages appear to be irrelative for windows 10.    Windows will only use the ms simple display driver or the amd driver that gets installed by windows update.    The 15.7 driver runs with no error but windows will readd its own ccc and driver leaving the two versions available to view in programs/features list.  The Crimson driver fails to install.   I too have spent many an hour on this since windows 10 10240.   This has been very frustrating and time consuming.  After upgrading to windows 10 i have had less raptr features working than windows 8 gave.   The drivers that windows install do allow me to use my pc at 1080p res's but some of my pc games can barely run.   Some of the things i have tried to get a driver from amd website to install are hiding windows update driver, deferring updates, switching off updates, disabling signed driver enforcement, installing driver in safe mode.

I have not yet found an guide on the editing the .inf that worked for others mentioned in another post here but am not sure that is a realistic option but will research.

After reading here and several other sources that GCN is needed for dx12 i started looking at buying a discrete card so that dx12 can be implemented.  I am shocked that GCN 1.1 or higher is NEEDED for dx12 and am even more surprised at the cost and limited choice of such gpu's.   It would appear you now need a gaming spec gpu for dx12 to be made available as nvidia have done a very similar thing with fermi gpus as what amd have done with HD7### (HD7790 is only 7 series card that supports dx12) and below with the legacy thing.   Your choice for dx12 supported gpu is actualy pretty restricted and searching for GCN only gpu's is NO gaurantee you will even end up with dx12 support.

I am now looking at buying either a 4gb GTX 750ti, 2gb GTX 950 or a Radeon R7 360 with a budget of £125.   

This document lists the GPU's that are compatible with DirectX 12/Windows 10.

Windows® 10 Driver Support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

There are very many products that meet these requirements.

I did explain (i thought) my only incentive for upgrading to windows was dx12 and that pre release builds of windows 10 gave dx 12 support with hd6###d graphics.  Windows 10 support does NOT MEAN dx12 support.  The point of that post was about the shifting undocumented changes of what is and what is not supported on windows 10 regarding dx12 implementation with amd gpu's.     GCN 1.0 cards give dx11.3  (partial dx12 support) whereas GCN 1.1 or higher actualy give dx12 support.     So no there is not many amd gpus to choose from if you want dx12 support.

It was stated the windows 10 driver that windows update installs works ok but no dx12 or new wddm support is given.  Not once has any driver from amd website installed correctly even after the installer running with no errors as windows update somehow double installs a working driver and its older ccc.   Basicaly  I need to buy a new gpu that supports dx12 which gets very close to the price of that a new apu and mobo would cost.

and why on earth has my personal name and not my username been used here?   Which is the first question i have asked.   My last post is a statement and not a question.   😉

If I logout and look at your post, I don't see your real name, I see baldrick (Yeah, I'm also a huge Blackadder fan )

🙂 It is true my cunning plans rarely work out too.

Ah, so you do have a cunning plan, then ?

My first post stated: Windows 10 Pro build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156. GW Profile 6 All-in-One. Intel Core2 Duo 6700 2.67 GHz. HD R5450. Realtek sound.

That is a x64 processor but I am using the 32bit version of Windows 10 since the Profile 6 is limited to 2GB RAM. The graphics card I previously had was an older Nvidia 7650 GS with 2 Dvi ports and 256 MB DDR2. It worked fine. This newer AMD HD R5450 boasts HD and 1GB DDR3 and the HDMI port eliminates the need to use a Dvi-to-HDMI adapter. Sounds like an improvement to me. And Linux totally agrees.

I struggled with the same version merry-go-round that is mentioned throughout these posts (no need to repeat them all) with the exception that I did not modify anything or download 3rd party solutions. I subscribe to Windows 10's fast pre-release installations for testing purposes. You can not accurately test equipment if you employ quick fixes.

Btw, I also tested the HD R5450 with a VGA monitor attached as the external monitor. Same error messages as before. Nothing detected. And finally I tested with HDMI as the only monitor and all I got was a blank screen.

Can not confirm at this time which CCC and driver versions I ended up with as I only boot into Windows when my customers need assistance. I believe I finally settled for whatever Microsoft wanted me to have. In this case, Microsoft's auto response was to contact the manufacturer for a solution. So, I will simply check in now and then to see if Microsoft or AMD publish any changes.

Thanks for your help all.

Dem... i registered just to say how much dissatisfied  i am. and they seems doest have any proper emails for feed back.

im using R7250 gigabyte OC 2gddr5 , after the crimson update. i cant even play dota at lowerst setting with stutter like hell after about 30 mins playing. was fine before the AMD software update and it keep crashing. reinstall the driver, the prob is still there. and cant find any option to roll back to previous driver version.

please help me, or going for GPU other than AMD. Zzzzzz.

sorry, im very frustated. its just DOTA 2??? why cant it even supprt. LOLS

You can uninstal any Catalyst/Crimson software using DDU.It does require some work but it is very clean.Roll back to the previous driver version and see wether or not the problem has been solved.I would suggest the 14.12 omega drivers,they were a massive update and a pretty reliable build.

Just received Windows 10 Pro Preview build 14251.rs1 released 160124-1059. What is so special about this release? Well, only that all the problems have gone away. I no longer have an error message that the AMD graphics card can not be found (how can it not be found if you can identify it as an AMD card? duh). The HDMI link to the TV is finally recognized, so the second screen is identified. The 1080p display is working. The sound is coming out of the HDMI TV sound output.

What can I say? Somebody somewhere finally did their job. Now, you need to check your updates and see when this latest update will come through for the non-testers.

Btw, this was a full Windows 10 update. It took me several hours to download and install.

anyone knows how to solve this?

IMAGEN TARGETA_png.pngIMAGEN TARGETA_2_png.png

Please take the time to detail precisely what you are looking for.

hi, the problem is that dedicated graphics board is not recognized.

I have sought solutions through forums and website but the only solution is

to update drivers, which does not fix it.

Shipping screenshot of conflicts of graphics board

[image: Imágenes integradas 2]

2016-02-05 13:48 GMT-03:00 ray_m <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.document_comment>

new comment by ray_m

<https://community.amd.com/people/ray_m?et=watches.email.document_comment> View

all comments on this document

<https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1311?et=watches.email.document_comment#comment-7128>

The device manage IS showing both graphics cards are recognized.

Windows 10 Hybrid crossfire is not a feature the Microsoft has enabled as yet.

there is a solution for this, I work with 3D modeling software and graphics board can not or does not support the level of these BECOMING slow very slow process modeling not operate dedicated graphics board

there is a solution for this, I work with 3D modeling software and graphics

board can not or does not support the level of these BECOMING slow very

slow process modeling not operate dedicated graphics board

2016-02-05 15:13 GMT-03:00 ray_m <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.document_comment>

new comment by ray_m

<https://community.amd.com/people/ray_m?et=watches.email.document_comment> View

all comments on this document

<https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1311?et=watches.email.document_comment#comment-7129>

Could this be an issue with Directx 12?

I posted earlier that I received Windows 10 Preview build 14251, which addressed graphics and memory issues and actually solved the problems I was having. A few days later, I received Preview build 14257. This latest build is basically a "staging" build to prepare for several scheduled updates. Perhaps something in those builds can help you.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-29-2015 10:34 AM
Updated by:

Contributors