cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

YCbCr or RGB PC Standard FULL RGB?

Should I use the default YCbCr option or RGB? Why? My system specs are below.

This option I'm asking about is in the AMD Radeon Configurations, on the monitor options.

Yesterday I noticed a site that has white and light grey backgrounds isn't showing properly. Light grey background can't  be seen anymore, shows as white. I tried the same site on my phone and shows both colors correctly, I can see light grey as intended.

I read some articles saying this has to do with HDMI and graphics drivers. One article suggested we should use RGB Full HD for more colors so I switched to RGB. However, I just noticed that with RGB, the light blue bars on facebook polls can't be seen anymore, they appear as white. I switched back to YCbCr and I can see the light blue bars again, over white background. The light grey backgrounds still can't be seen.

I'm using the latest Adrenalin driver 19.2.3. My CPU is AMD Ryzen 2200G and I use a HDMI monitor.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for your reply. Seems like I solved the issue lol. It was so simple.

I was trying out different monitor settings and there was an option called "black level". It was set to low as default.

That was it. I tried changing this option to high, problem solved, I can see the light grey on the site's background again, as I normally did before. Can you or someone please explain what black level does and if it should be set as high? I don't know why it was set to low as default, I never changed it.

Not only that but now I see so many colors differently. For example, the facebook poll I mentioned, that had light blue bars, I was seeing that light blue color so wrong, it was almost like white. Now, what a difference, the bars are light grey but the difference to the white background is huge. Night and day. So better now and easier to distinguish.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

RGB - Full color spectrum

YCbCr - Chroma subsampling

RGB should be used, as it doesn't reduce vibrancy, but the colors you see are also based off the color profile your monitor uses

As well as the colors you use in your monitor's OSD as well as in Radeon Settings

As well as the quality of your monitor, of which the panel (TN, VA, IPS), and color reproduction ability which ranges bargain basement 6 bit to 10 bit and above, is a factor in your ability to see subtle shade changes.

Thanks for your reply. Seems like I solved the issue lol. It was so simple.

I was trying out different monitor settings and there was an option called "black level". It was set to low as default.

That was it. I tried changing this option to high, problem solved, I can see the light grey on the site's background again, as I normally did before. Can you or someone please explain what black level does and if it should be set as high? I don't know why it was set to low as default, I never changed it.

Not only that but now I see so many colors differently. For example, the facebook poll I mentioned, that had light blue bars, I was seeing that light blue color so wrong, it was almost like white. Now, what a difference, the bars are light grey but the difference to the white background is huge. Night and day. So better now and easier to distinguish.