cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

starsoccer
Adept I

XFX Vega 56 stuck at high temp after vr

I have a XFX vega 56 that is relatively new(only got it 2 months ago). Most of the gaming I do is not at 4k or graphic heavy 3d games, but I do occasionally do play some vr games. Since Ive gotten the GPU though Ive noticed after playing VR the temp of the unit becomes really high and will not go down. Ive checked a bunch of different temp monitor software just to make sure it wasnt one specific software with a bug. To give an example of what I mean by high temp, prior to touching a VR game it will sit at 30-40C idle. As soon as I open a VR game its will jump up to 70C. While Im not to concerned about it getting hot under load, my concern is that even after the VR game is closed its still at 70C. Ive left it for 12+ hours idle to see if that would cause it to cool down, but even then still at over 70C. The only way Ive been able to get it back down to normal idle range(30-40C) is to reboot my computer.

0 Likes
1 Solution
starsoccer
Adept I

Just wanted to give an update, so since updating the driver I have no been able to reproduce the original issue. I have seen my gpu get into some high temps like 60-70C and the fan speed(which personally I think is a bit weird), and the gpu's temp will slowly start to go down. So as far as Im concerned it seems like the issue is resolved. I may adjust the fan speed a bit so that it coolers quicker as currently once it gets into 60-70C it seems to take a good 20-30 minutes to cool down back to semi normal levels.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies

Have you checked to be sure the Vega fans are running at full speed at 70 c after turning off VR games?

Check under "Task Manager"  under "Performance" and see if the GPU card is still under very heavy loads after turning off VR games and also check it the CPU is under heavy loading after turning of VR Games.

I imagine that after you turned off the VR game, the GPU loading should go to zero or very low, thus the temperature should immediately start to fall. If the fans are running high and the temperature still indicates 70c when the GPU is showing to be in idle in "Performance" with fans running fast, then it is possible you have a defective Temperature sensor.

I have read from other Users that the Vega Fans are sometimes difficult to control. You need to be sure under AMD Wattman, the fans are configured to run correctly at the correct temperature of the GPU Card. Also using AMD Wattman be sure to correctly configure the Power of the Vega. If you have software similar to MSI Afterburner it is recommended to uninstall it since it can interfere with AMD Wattman.

Since you have to reboot to get the correct temperature of the Vega, indicates that something is running keeping the Vega hot or something is not being reset after using VR in your computer. Or some sensor in the Vega is stuck and will only reset after rebooting.

You might also want to check your Windows installation by running SFC /scannow in a elevated Command prompt or Powershell.

Next time you post, please include your Computer specs and Windows version and AMD Driver installed as per AMD Forum.

0 Likes

Sorry for the delay, I checked under performance on task manager and compared it with what was shown in wattman. When the temp is high thats when the difference appears. So for example looking right now the temp is 35-40C and activity is below 5% both in wattman and on task manager. Earlier today the activity was at sub 5% in task manager but in watt man was showing a steady 25% and over level.

The other issue I noticed is the fans seem to run at a more or less fixed 900 rpm. So when the activity level was 25% and the temp was in the mid 60c's it was running at 900RPM.

The last issue which seems to be more with wattman is that I tried using the custom settings to change the fan speed and now its stuck at 510rpm. I have changed the settings a bunch of times setting the fan min speed to 700+ and yet the fan still does not go any faster.  I know the fan can go faster because when I was adjusting the settings before I had it at 2500rpm. Prior to today I had not touched the watt man settings and it had been on balanced.

Computer Specs

Windows 10 - 1809 - 17763.195

Radeon Software Version 18.9.3

GPU XFX Vega 56 Double Dissipation

CPU Ryzen 7 1700

Ram 32gb

0 Likes

After some more testing I was finally able to reproduce the issue. I checked task manager and it shows 0 gpu usage and no programs showed any usage. I checked wattman and it show activity was more or less 100%. I then opened process explorer and checked gpu usage which also shows nearly 0. I then checked if there was an update for amd radeon software which there was and upgraded. As soon as the upgraded started running the activity level seems to have dropped and the gpu temp started to go lower.

From what I can tell this only occured sometimes when using steam vr as I used it the other day without issue.

0 Likes

Good troubleshooting. I have read about other Users having issues with Vega Fan control. Hopefully, the Vega will now start working normally after using VR programs.

Could it be that Wattman was preventing the Vega from going to idle after using Steam VR?  Since everything else was showing no GPU activity and only Wattman was showing 100%.

I wouldn't install a 3rd party software like MSI Afterburner since it might cause a conflict with Wattman. Keep on checking to see what is causing the Vega on getting stuck at ~100% usages after using Steam VR program.

0 Likes

Unlikely since prior to posting here and getting a reply I had never used wattman before. I just knew that the gpu temp was stuck high sometimes after using steam vr. I am going to try using steamvr a few more times and see if I can get it stuck high again or not. Just want to confirm the driver update fixed the issue and didnt just act like a restart where it fixes the issue for now but not permanently.

0 Likes

Good idea. Let other Users know one way or the other. It will be useful information.

0 Likes
starsoccer
Adept I

Just wanted to give an update, so since updating the driver I have no been able to reproduce the original issue. I have seen my gpu get into some high temps like 60-70C and the fan speed(which personally I think is a bit weird), and the gpu's temp will slowly start to go down. So as far as Im concerned it seems like the issue is resolved. I may adjust the fan speed a bit so that it coolers quicker as currently once it gets into 60-70C it seems to take a good 20-30 minutes to cool down back to semi normal levels.

0 Likes