cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ribic1122
Adept I

XFX RX580 8gb low fps

So recently I bought xfx rx 580 8gb oc+ from my friend. Video card is 2 years old but he didn't use It a lot. I installed It successfully with some minor problems (monitor problems) anyway I downloaded few games - low graph games (Assassin's Creed 1, Valorant etc...) and played It on ultra with OK fps. I decided to download Mafia 3 and the problem was there. I got 30 fps on high video settings so I switched It to low and had same 30 fps... Then I actually started noticing that I haven't actually got many fps In other games too like GTA V so I started searching for solution. Downloaded DDU and tried reinstalling new drivers and the old ones. None of them work, same 30 fps... I checked fps limit is disabled. It says GPU UTIL is 100% but uses only about 60-70 W. Any ideas?

1 Solution

So I tried these things:

1. Found BIOS switch next to power connector and switched It to right, booted PC and on gpu-z now at default gpu clock it said 1366 mhz but at gpu clock said 1150mhz. 

2. I flashed the bios with an XXX version of it and It worked, I know got 1366mhz gpu clock and default gpu clock. 

The problem is still there though, FPS in games has not changed a bit... Still 30 fps on low, medium or high same 30 fps. But I see improvements in gpu power usage its not 140w+ so I guess It fixed the main problem. Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
17 Replies

• AMD Graphics Card: XFX RX 580 8GB
  • Desktop or Laptop System: Desktop
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed: Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 (tried with 20.8.3 too)
  • Display Devices: Samsung S24R350 1920x1080 @75Hz HDMI connection 
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision: Gigabyte b365m ds3h rev 1.0, bios version F5 (13/08/2019)
  • CPU/APU: Intel I5-9400F
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage: Falcon FGC-650, 650W
  • RAM: 16GB
0 Likes

Add a GPU-z screenshot as well.

0 Likes

Capture.PNG

0 Likes

As I suspected, something is amiss. The BIOS version matches, but the GPU clock is 200mhz slower than it should be. I suspect that card may have been modified, either for cryptocurrency mining or for other reasons, especially as it only shows 75w power consumption under 100% load. If you are comfortable in flashing the BIOS, I would suggest using the one from the TechPowerUp GPU Database.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192497/xfx-rx580-8192-170410

0 Likes

Yes I can try flashing the BIOS if that Is the only solution. Couldn't that modification be undone? 

0 Likes

And shouldn't I download new bios version from gigabyte site?

0 Likes

The modification is by using a modified BIOS file. Your device ID as shown in GPUz comes back for an XFX model as shown, so if it actually is a Gigabyte model you have, that's more evidence it has been modified.

0 Likes

I see, so Is it just like normal bios update? I download the file you provided me, put It on flash and from bios just update it?

0 Likes

No. A popular utility is ATIFlash, it runs under Windows.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

0 Likes

Oh I get It now, one more question before I try It, here says its GTS core edition but on my card it says GTS XXX Ed Rx 580 8gb oc+ 1366mhz

0 Likes

Should still work without issues since the device IDs are the same, but you can contact XFX for a BIOS directly from them.

0 Likes

My RX 580 GTS Black has a dip switch for gaming or compute. The OP may want to make sure they don't have the same and it is in the correct position. 

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition

0 Likes

So I tried these things:

1. Found BIOS switch next to power connector and switched It to right, booted PC and on gpu-z now at default gpu clock it said 1366 mhz but at gpu clock said 1150mhz. 

2. I flashed the bios with an XXX version of it and It worked, I know got 1366mhz gpu clock and default gpu clock. 

The problem is still there though, FPS in games has not changed a bit... Still 30 fps on low, medium or high same 30 fps. But I see improvements in gpu power usage its not 140w+ so I guess It fixed the main problem. Thanks

0 Likes

Not sure if this is your issue or not. I can tell you on my RX 580 for whatever reason and unlike any other card before or since. It made relatively no difference if frames when I would lower the settings. In fact in many cases it seemed it ran better at the higher quality settings. 

You could also have a similar result if you are bottlenecked by a cpu. No idea what CPU you have. But maybe that is your issue.

Or you could just have a problematic card. 

If it only does it in one game then maybe it's the game. 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Go to the Userbenchmark website and test your system against the hardware averages of other users. With this test, you will see what causes the performance loss.

0 Likes
Matte
Journeyman III

So I came across this problem a few days ago. Every game would have a 20-30% fps decrease, the fans would spin up and down eratically, while the GPU would run at 0-50% with ~45w power usage. My solution after many attempts (BIOS reset, DDU, reinstall, older version driver, GPU cleaning and reseating in the MoBo, using temporary PSU) was to select the "power saving" global profile in Radeon Software. All the crashes (GPU driver timeout) went away instantly. And all monitors are OK.

0 Likes