cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mdsx1950
Journeyman III

XFX RX570 does not let my computer power on! Help!

I recently got a XFX RX 570 4GB card and I did use it for a few days until suddenly my computer shut off while the computer was idling on the desktop. I could not switch it back on. When I press the power button. The GPU fans and the CPU fan try to move for a split second. Also a red light near the 8-pin connector flashes from the GPU for a second.

So far I tried :

• Updating the motherboard BIOS.
  • Swapping motherboard and CPU.
  • Testing out RAM sticks one at a time.
  • Disconnected all HDDS except the one with the OS.

However when I disconnect the 8-pin connector the computer powers on and boots up normally with the onboard graphics while the RX 570 is still sitting on the motherboard. The red LED light is consistently on at that time. Probably since the 8-pin is disconnected. The card was working perfectly all this time and I kept temps below 75*c even while gaming.

My system specs :

• Intel i5 3450 @ 3.1Ghz (Not overclocked)
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz (2x4GB)
  • ASUS PQ877-M Motherboard
  • Seasonic 520W 80+ Bronze PSU
  • 4x 3.5mm HDDs

I have ruled out the motherboard, RAM and CPU. Could it be the PSU? But it works fine without the GPU.

Any advice?

0 Likes
1 Solution

By the 8 pin connector you are talking about the PSU cable that goes to the GPU card correct?

Sounds like your RX 570 shorted out and is shorting out the PSU which shuts down to prevent damage.

Check your PSU Outputs with the GPU card disconnected and see if the 3.5/5/0/12.0Vdc are within 5% tolerances.

You can run OCCT PSU Stress test to check for abnormal PSU Outputs and Temperatures.

If the PSU checks good then the RX570 is defective. If you install it on another computer with the same results that will verify that you have a shorted GPU card.

My guess the GPU card might have overheated and shorted out.

EDIT: Remove the RX570 and physically check the PCB and fan for any type of damage like discoloration or broken or missing traces or burnt or damaged components.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

By the 8 pin connector you are talking about the PSU cable that goes to the GPU card correct?

Sounds like your RX 570 shorted out and is shorting out the PSU which shuts down to prevent damage.

Check your PSU Outputs with the GPU card disconnected and see if the 3.5/5/0/12.0Vdc are within 5% tolerances.

You can run OCCT PSU Stress test to check for abnormal PSU Outputs and Temperatures.

If the PSU checks good then the RX570 is defective. If you install it on another computer with the same results that will verify that you have a shorted GPU card.

My guess the GPU card might have overheated and shorted out.

EDIT: Remove the RX570 and physically check the PCB and fan for any type of damage like discoloration or broken or missing traces or burnt or damaged components.

Yes I was referring to the 8-pin connector from the PSU.

Seems like the RX 570 has shorted out. I tested it on one of my mate's rig as well. Same issue on that too and he has a 750W Corsair PSU. So definitely not an issue with the PSU.

I will definitely try out OCCT and test out my PSU.

Meanwhile, I'll have to send out my card to the local GPU repair technician to sort out the electrical short as it looks like it's a problem with the 12.0v rail.

Thank you for your support @elstaci