Graphics Cards

ven96
Adept I

XFX RX 580 heating up to 89C on all drivers after 18.9.3

AMD Graphics card: XFX RX 580 8GB

Driver Version: 18.9.3
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Monitor: AOC G2260VWQ6 1080p@75Hz Freesync, DisplayPort

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4, 1.80 update.

RAM: 16GB

PSU: Corsair CX 650W

ISSUE:

I can never update my drivers, because if I do, the GPU will heat up to 89C on max load, even with a custom fan curve running at 2600RPM+
On 18.9.3, I can run at 75C MAX at 2200RPM. How could I run cool on one driver and hot on all others? Therefore I concluded it is a driver issue

I haven't been able to figure out the issue that will finally allow me to update my drivers, thus I seek help here.

0 Likes
6 Replies

This has been an issue since the introduction of Wattman. For 18.9.3 these are my settings. I have the same card. These settings keep me stable:

I would stay away from the 2019 drivers if I were you. The new fan controls are terrible IMHO and I find 19.1.1 drivers run my card about 10 degrees hotter with the same settings. Don't know why and apparently AMD is never going to admit or address the issue. But the above settings do keep me 100% rock solid. I should mention I also use chill settings. Just set the max number no higher than about 72 and it really helps to keep the heat down also.

Thanks!

And wow, that's quite the overclock!

I game at 1440p on ultra in everything with no issues. I am on a 60hz Free Sync monitor with a 45-75 range. For instance Battlefield V on ultra run an average of 59 fps. So just fine for me. If you have a 144hz monitor a 580 is not your card if you are fine with th 45-60 fps range in current AAA titles. It gets the job done very well at a bargain price. It is currently IMHO the best card for the money right now. The only caveat is that it takes some tweaking to get it stable, default settings IMHO should be stable and they are not. But once you get it sorted you just can't do better without digging into you piggy bank a lot more.

Kinda the silicon lottery. I'm ranging in on RX 590 speed. Plus my card luckily has the Samsung memory chips not the Hynix so it's a bit less finicky.

0 Likes

Which processor do you use? Is it overclocked as well? If it's a Ryzen 5 2600, could you pass me your settings?

0 Likes

No I do not currently have a Ryzen. My newest machine is an i7-7700K. Mine overclocks nicely on air too, 4.8ghz. Sorry I cant help in that regard.

0 Likes