cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lord_maxthor
Adept I

XFX RX 580 Compatibility

I have an old HP Elite 7500 Series MT which I am planning to give it a decent upgrade for my kids gaming (VR & etc.). I am looking into XFX Radeon RX 580 graphics card.

Here are the PC specs: 

Motherboard: PEGATRON 2AD4

BIOS: UEFI

Processor: Intel i7-3770 3.40Ghz

RAM: 16 GB

Storage: 4 TB HDD

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 650W

1. Will RX 580 work with this build?

2. I am also reading a lot of post about Radeon 5700/5700XT/5600XT/5500XT card that worked for older mootherboards, will those card also work with no issues? 

12 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

All of the cards should work on any motherboard with a PCIE slot.

There performance may be bottlenecked by the cpu.

That motherboard is listed as a mini ITX, do you have enough room in the case for the graphics card.

Some of the 5700's are very big.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

I was planning to get a new CPU but I guess I would need a new motherboard. The one I have is the stock motherboard which I don't think would work with Ryzen 5/7/9. Also, would it be better if I wait for the release of B550 if I get a new motherboard?

Yeah as for 5700 it might be big for the stock case. My friend is telling me that I can try his to check if it will fit with the components. One thing I am also planning is to get a bigger case. For now I am starting with this old PC until I get enough savings for the new parts.

0 Likes

That's an intel motherboard so it definitely won't work with the Ryzen chip.

I would recommend that you do wait for the B550 boards since that will give you an easy future upgrade.

Your going to need new memory when you do upgrade the motherboard and cpu.

Your power supply should be fine and while I would recommend an upgrade to some sort of SSD in the future the hard drive would work fine to start.

lord_maxthor
Adept I

Hi,

This is an update regarding my build for the old PC. Not Radeon issue but I hope someone can shed light into this.

I just recently purchased a new case for my build. This case came with 3 fans installed (with 4 pin connector). Now my issue is, in my Pegatron 2AD4 Motherboard I only have a few ports where I can connect this fans.

1. CPU FAN (which is already used for the CPU)

2. Pump Fan (4 Pin)

3. Sys_Fan (3 Pin)

Since I only have 2 available pins I can use here are my questions: 

1. Can I connect 1 Fan with 4 Pin connector to the Sys_Fan?

2. Can I use the Pump Fan to connect the second Fan?

3. Lastly, for the 3rd Fan, can I connect it directly to the available Floppy connector from the PSU?

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

1, Yes

2. Yes but it's probably going to run the fan 100% all the time, could be loud but no harm in trying.

3. No idea what the floppy connectors power was.

A Molex to fan cable is pretty cheap but again runs the fans full speed.

Best option is probably a PWM fan splitter cable and run all the fans off the Sys_Fan

Thank you for the reply.

Update: No. 3 will not work I just realized its a female plug fromthe PSU.

PWM fan splitter is the best option then.

0 Likes
lord_maxthor
Adept I

Hi again.

I just received the XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition today from Amazon. After installing the necessary drivers I noticed that the fans aren't spinning at all. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, unplug-replug the unit fromthe PCI-E slot, and tried 2 different cables from my PSU. Not of this steps I did worked. 

Is there any other work around or fix for this issue? 

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

It's been an issue with XFX cards in the past.

Your card should have dual bios so first thing to try is flip the little bios switch at the back of the card and try it with that.

If that doesn't work you should be able to work around by making a manual fan curve in the radeon sortware or msi afterburner.

If you need to do the manual fan curve open a ticket at https://www.xfxsupport.com/DefaultN.aspx 

They managed to point me to a fix with the same issue on my 5700XT 

0 Likes

Thanks. I did create the ticket already.

However, what I noticed was in normal operation (not gaming) the fan is not spinning but when I play games the fan starts to spin. I read in some forums that for XFX the graphics card waits till i teaches somewhere 60 degrees before fan starts spinning. I guess this is normal for XFX cards? Any idea if this is good setup for card or it has to be spinning right from boot-up?

0 Likes

XFX does run a zero fan setup at low temperature just make sure they are coming on as it gets hotter.

These cards can run really hot they just throttle the voltage when they hit threshold temps.

I gamed for 2 days without the fans on my card working.

They don't throttle till they hit 110C junction temperature and a software fan profile kicks in if the go over that.

Correct. Unless you use a manual fan settings the fans won't run at idle unless the ambient temperature is hot enough. This is normal operation. Only be concerned if they don't kick on under load. 

0 Likes
lord_maxthor
Adept I

Thank you guys. So far the video card has been performing just fine. I got in touch with XFX tech support and they told me the same thing that its normal for XFX cards however if there is any problem they would replace the card since its with warranty.

For now I think I am set. Next project is to get B550 Mobo and maybe a R 7/9 chip.

0 Likes