cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Syrah
Adept I

XFX RX 580 8gb not drawing enough power at all while it's avialable.

Hi,

My issue is, this RX 580 8gb is underperforming alot, and not drawing power at all.
It roughly takes 60w, very rarely up to 70w, which actually causes my FPS to finaly go above 60, instead of the usual 40-50 (on diablo 3 with half settings max half medium... to give you an idea of the perfoirmances), but then for no reason (legit 2-3 min after this stable 64-65 fps and power usage up to 70w) it drops again to 50-55w and I also drop to 10-20 fps.

Does the same on other games I tried.

Thing is: I run stress test, it draws up to 113w. Better, but.... still not enough.

Then I downloaded OCCT and ran a PSU test. Surprise, the GPU actually pumped 215w.

So the power is here. Available and only 1 program can manage to make the GPU pump power somewhere around its maximum.

I watched some guides on settings for power in several softwares, make alot of full uninstall / install again... And all those tests are getting me even more confused. I'm not PC expert but I have some experience with it, fairly solid basis on hardware, but on that one I really don't get it.

So how can I manage to make my GPU use the power it needs ? OCCT clearely showed that PSU can deliver enough power, reading is up to 215w, the adrenaline stress test only 113w, and in game it only makes spikes at 100w according to the logs, but that's for a micro secind, rest of the time it's at max 60w, and sooometimes it goes between 60w and 70w, for no apparent reason.

Setup is:

z77 mpower motherboard

i7 3700

2x 8gb hyperX DDR3 RAM 1866

PSU LEPA 850 gold+

3 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What driver version are you on?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Syrah
Adept I

The latest drivers.

0 Likes
Syrah
Adept I

Adrenaline 22.9.1 (auto search for updates, I then update myself)
Win 10 pro

0 Likes