cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

backhandsnipe
Journeyman III

XFX Radeon RX 580 Crashes Computer and triggers startup loop.

I have owned an AMD XFX Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 since January and have run the card without issue until about a week ago. 

I was using AMD's automatic detect and update software to update to the latest drivers and while updating, the computer crashed. From there, the computer was on a never-ending startup loop with no fixes addressing the problem. Only after removing the GPU and completing reinstalling windows did the computer return to normal function. 

Having spent the better part of the day on attempting to fix the issue and troubleshooting potentially faulty storage etc I figured the GPU got fried in the faulty update and requested a replacement. I just received a brand new card, and after inserting the GPU the computer crashed approx 5 minutes after I inserted it. From there, the startup loop presented itself again. 

I've updated the BIOS, Motherboard, Windows, and removed all AMD drivers and reinstalled them. I've seen similar issues on with the RX 580 and many claiming its a PSU problem. If that is the case, why did my system run without errors for nearly 6 months? 

My System is as follows. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BackhandSnipe/saved/mNkr6h 

Please help, I'm at a loss. 

0 Likes
2 Replies

According to this PSU Website concerning AMD & NVIDIA GPU Cards and the minimum PSU required to have, your 450 Watt PSU is underpowered for having an RX580 in your computer. The Minimum PSU is a 550 Watt PSU:

Try uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe Mode using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) with the internet disconnected and then install a previous RX580 driver that you said worked before with the internet still disconnected until after you installed the previous AMD Driver from here: Radeon™ RX 580 Previous Drivers | AMD 

0 Likes
bashan755
Newcomer

I have the same issue, except my PSU is a 620w, and I have reinstalled Windows AND drivers. 

System: Ryzen 3700X, 32GBm RX580 (Sapphire Nitro+), PSU Seasonic 620w

No matter what, when the AMD driver "detect" portion of the driver install begins, Windows does a hard reset. No bluescreen, just a hard reset. No startup loop after that.

Last year I had Win 10 1803 and the drivers were automatically installed during Windows  setup as version 17.x.x. I had tried a number of driver sets and nothing would install. So I completely rebuilt Windows 10 from scratch. Same deal. but somehow the drivers that came with Windows are now version .23.x.x (3/3/18).

The sad thing is that most games work just fine. I just finished playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and everything ran great. Now I have Wolfenstein II The New Colossus and the game won't even start. The first troubleshooting step is to update the drivers, which - of course - doesn't work.

I have tried every new driver version released including the auto-detect versions. Same stuff. 

0 Likes