cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

oldmanlight
Adept I

XFX R9 390 GPU Fan not spinning, fan above VRM's spinning slowly

My R9 390's temps have begun to vary wildly over the past 2-3 months idling at around 38 degrees C and climbing to above 85 degrees C under load.  I checked my GPU fan/heatsink for dust and they are free of buildup but after observing the GPU through the window in my case, i noticed that the fan above my GPU does not spin at all except when the GPU reaches 85 degrees C and then spins as fast as it can until the temp drops.  This did not happen prior to the past 2 months.  I tried to contact XFX support but i'm unable to open a new ticket as an old abandoned ticket for an unrelated issue is still open in their system and it's preventing me from opening a ticket for this issue.  I tried to update the old ticket but i've not received and response from them for the past 2-3 days.  It seems like i just need to replace the fans but i get no response from XFX when i try to ask for help.  What do i do to fix this?

0 Likes
11 Replies

If your still under warranty, don't start playing with the card. An xfxsupport​ rep visits the forum fairly often.

You could try some self tests, if you use any 3rd party oc/fan control apps, reset them, then uninstall them.

Then reset & disable wattman (Preferences > Restore factory defaults).

Restart pc, use gpu-z render test(run for 5-10 min(or stop if/when it hits 90C)), watch the graphs(fan/temp) and your card fans, see if spin up works as it should off vbios settings.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

yeah i've already uninstalled MSI Afterburner even though i never did anything to setup custom fan settings in there and reset the AMD wattman settings to their default.  Then rebooted and my fans were just completely still.  as i sit here typing this with just my chrome browser window open, the GPU temp is at 52 degrees C and the fan is spinning at 130 RPM while set on the default automatic setting and according to my wattman should be at 1800 rpm, if i crank the setting manually to over 5000 rpm the best it achieves is 3500 rpm.  Guess i'll just have to wait to hear from that xfxsupport​ rep you mentioned.

0 Likes

The wattman manual fan control for the 390 is borked, don't use it.

Did you try the gpu-z test.

Might also want to check what your clock speeds are doing when on chrome (maybe hwa sticking bug).

I have wattman disabled, card fans run fine as per vbios setings on my G1.

If you want to use msi-ab for fan control, best(imo) to disable wattman.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

How do I go about disabling wattman on the current Adrenalin drivers? I didn’t realize it was an option.

0 Likes

Resets everything ?.

ok just wasn't sure if that was "disabling wattman" or just wiping any custom settings that someone could set.  I generally never mess around with wattman.  I tried your GPU-Z render test and my fans stayed still up until the point where the temps got really hot and only spun when powered above 75% and it didn't seem to take much time for them the GPU to heat up, maybe less than a minute.

test.giftest2.gif

0 Likes

to clarify the first image is about 15-20 seconds after the render test starts, the second is maybe another 20-30 seconds later.

this is what it's doing when sitting idle with just GPU-Z and a web browser open.

idle.gif

0 Likes

Well, idle clocks show no hwa bug, so rules that out.

Going up to 60C early is normal, but mine takes 3-4min to hit 80.

I would install new msi-ab, set up a fan curve in the meantime.

Leave wattman disabled. Hopefully xfx get back to you soon.

Running up to 90C in some games can be expected, then it will start to throttle to save itself.

But yeh, yours seems to be a quick jump up.

0 Likes

Yeah that’s what I figured. I guess I’ll just keep from playing anything really gpu intensive until I hear from xfx. Sucks because I was really hoping to start playing prey and play some more pubg. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes

Hello, your ticket # has been updated.

is the ticket number still T1601130016?  Nothing looks updated on my end.  Sorry if i'm being a pain, i just want to know if a fan replacement would still be under warranty because i purchased the card 2 years ago today and i don't want to miss the warranty window.

0 Likes