cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

XFX 6900 XT merc, hard stuttering and audio dropout

Was lucky enough to get myself an XFX RX 6900 XT Merc recently, it looks awesome and seems to be capable of giving me some major performance in titles i play. 
Problem is, when I'm playing my favorite game at the moment (Apex Legends) I have some strange hard stuttering, low frames and when the stutter occurs the audio also cuts out for a brief moment simultaneous with the stutter/freeze. 
This is running 1440p at all low settings, and getting somewhere between 110-240 frames at best, but it's not very stable at all. 
Any advice for how i can troubleshoot this? Or do I just have to wait for a more stable driver. 

This is my current rig:
EVGA 850W Gold+ PSU
5820k @ 4Ghz (Upgrading to 5900x sometime soon when stock arrives)
x99m Asrock Killer motherboard.
6900 XT 
16GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM. 

2021-01-08_18h57_19.png

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: XFX 6900 XT merc, hard stuttering and audio dropout

I have slight stutter when playing warzone.

FIX for me:
What I have found is when you put your gpu core limits in place let say between: 2537-2637.
With slight undervolt: 1120
Powerlimit +5%
Vram 2140

zero rpm: disable

My stutter goes away.
I have stutter in Hell let loose also but haven't found correct clock setting for it yet.

If I put core min slider down to 500 the stutter comes back.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have a 5900x cpu and 6800 gpu and my apex legends game has been freezing.  I have to reboot my pc since the screen for apex goes black but will always stay the active screen.  I can see that I open other apps/task manager but can't select it.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Huh, this sounds like the issue I have with my XFX 6900 XT Merc 319 Black... 

Did you check you DPC? I noticed when games do not utilize the GPU to the max the DPC is all over the place. When running Furmark for 5min and maxing the GPU out I did not notice any stutters.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the exact same card, and the issues are very similar, will do some testing tomorrow and get back to you on that. 

0 Kudos
Miniboss
Miniboss

@Lzy  has the answer, partially.

If you use the "automatic" OC mode to find all the numbers, max GPU, undervolt, and VRAM, write those numbers down. Then enter all those in under "manual" OC mode, also slide the minimum GPU clock to within 100Mhz of the max (most important), VRAM may not run at the max that it will probably indicate, so just back it down 50Mhz until stable if it hangs during a benchmark like 3D Mark TimeSpy. Set the power limit to max, it will only use it if it needs it. Turn off Zero RPM for the fans and set the curve more aggressive if you see temps rising too quickly.

I have the Rx 6800 so my VRAM is limited to 2150. I have a post about this RX6800 impressive, you can see my before and after 3D Mark scores and how the GPU clock stays nice and flat after the OC whereas stock it's all over the place. I don't know why the stock minimum clock is set to 500Mhz, that's ridiculously low and allows the GPU clock to bounce up and down that range while gaming. No wonder people are crashing, stuttering. I had to close the clock gap on my former RX 5600 XT for the same reason.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

This sounds to me like it is totally a driver fault...

Also the Radeon software ignores everything I set, while gaming it falls down to even ~100Mhz.

So yeah, no point in setting there anything. But worse, after a few restarts it reverts back to automatic, this software suck badly. With my Vega card I used afterburner to reliably set things up, but sadly AB is not working at the moment with the new cards.

This remembers me of the R9 290X release and their problems with the drivers...

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Tested the DPC as well and had the same result.

latency mon.PNG

0 Kudos
Miniboss
Miniboss

You should try the settings @Lzy  and I both told you. My settings stay over reboot, not sure why the other OP is having an issue of settings not staying applied. That's why you should save the profile by clicking the 3 dots in the upper right of the tuning page. You're running too hot at idle, these settings fix that. All else fails, check your RAM, that will cause audio issues as well as these problems. These are my settings, a non XT but the screen and method to set this stuff is the same.RX 6800 Settings.pngTimeSpy RX 6800 best 1_13_2021.png

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

No success on that front, did as you suggested. 
Issues persisted, but also got a full system lockup and green screen crash. 
Starting to think this might be a driver issue, or other parts of my PC bottlenecking. 

0 Kudos