cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

shinkojiro
Miniboss

World War Z Application Hang

The application hang is not simply from 'long periods of play' in my experience, but from their April 29 Update messing up things with Vulkan. The crash is always in the same places: Swarm Defense events. The sheer number of zombies encountered is causing a hang when Vulkan is enabled. Switching to directX 11 causes that particular crash to stop.

0 Likes
10 Replies
a_toxic
Journeyman III

I seem to have the same problem. Just got a new Vega 56 and World War Z. On the first level when the swarm comes it crashes all the time. First I thought the card was defective but when I see that you have nearly the same problem as I have I'm pretty sure it's game related.

0 Likes

Dont worry, chances are it is not your card.  I have a Vega 64 and it does same thing.....on only this game.  Every other game on my Vega runs fine.  I removed my Vega 64 and borrowed my sons RX 570, put it in...and presto... WWZ runs perfectly fine.  it appears this is a Vega specific issue, as both the RX570 and the Vega share the same windows 10 driver. 

0 Likes
amdbooger
Adept II

This game is nigh unplayable on Vega 64 right now.  The weird thing is, i took the RX 570 out of my sons PC, and popped it in.....bang, ZERO issues.  I can play for hours.  This is a Vega specific issue from what i can tell.  AMD, it is quite ridiculous to have an AMD sponsored/optimized title that is essentially unplayable on a Radeon Vega 64.  I guess i need to steal my sons 570 again just to play this title.  What is weird, is that it appears the 570 and Vega 64 share the same driver on windows 10.....why is the hang exclusive to the Vega?

0 Likes
amdbooger
Adept II

I did find a temporary fix if you are still having this issue.  I turned off Vulkan in video settings and switched to DX11.  Also, turn pre-set video settings from ultra to high.  While performance on DX11 is not nearly as good as Vulkan, the game is at least stable when i do the above.  I did research and found in the highlights for 19.5.1 that, quote "World War Z™ may experience an application hang after extended periods of play when using Vulkan™ API."  Hopefully, they will fix it in the next update.

0 Likes

Yea that is the temp fix I posted in the WWZ forums too when I found it. They've yet to fix it.

0 Likes
vega64guy
Journeyman III

still wondering when they will fix this! the graphics in the game are insane and the framerates are around 180 with my sapphire vega 64 but it crashes everytime. super sad

0 Likes

Did you try:

1.  Download 19.5.2 Adrenaline driver package (check for updates via Radeon Settings, it will be labeled as "optional"), download the new display driver within. (vastly improved frame rates in DX11 for me over 19.5.1)

2.  Choose custom install, select clean install...let it install....... restart

3.  Go to WWZ game, go to video settings, should be first option, select DX11 instead of Vulkan

Simply doing this, has made the game stable for me, I have Sapphire Vega 64, was having same problem as you. With the new driver from 19.5.2, DX11 frame rates are pretty good, I get a high of 180, average of 155 fps @ 1080p resolution.

Hope this helps you, as it helped me.  Great game.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Good news. New content update for World War Z fixed the vulkan stability issues and crash. I survive the swarm defense events now.

a_toxic
Journeyman III

I can confirm that the recent update fixed the crashes when using Vulkan.

But it seems that there is still something off with Vulkan.

The framerate is not as high as before the update. It's mostly on par with DirectX 11. But I now have a lot of framedrops with Vulkan. Every minute or so.

frames aren't super high anymore but its running pretty dam good in my

opinion. Our 64's are probably eating NVIDEA cards for lunch when it comes

to this game so im happy