Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

PManaus
Adept I

Windows update is overwriting the AMD driver and installing an older version

Good afternoon!
I have a laotop Acer AN515-45-R7WA which has an AMD Rysen 7 5800h processor and two video cards, one integrates AMD Graphics Veja and a delicate NVIDIA RTX 3060. I also have the following AMD applications installed on my laptop:
1. AMD Radeon Software
2. AMD link for windows
3. AMD bug report toll
I updated the AMD graphics driver from the AMD website using the Auto-Detect and Install application available on the website. This application updates the driver to version 21.10.2, but every time you use the Windows update, it must update this driver to another version (probably earlier) which does not allow the use of AMD Radeon Software or AMD link for Windows. I also tried to update with Adrenalin 21.10.2 WHQL), but in this case the GPU 1 referring to the integrated card no longer appears in the system, as if it did not recognize the integrated card. With Auto-Detect and Install, the installation runs normally and the board integrates and the aforementioned applications work properly.
Does anyone know why Windows update insists on installing inappropriate drivers?
Would you know why the installation only works using Auto-Detect and Install?
Thanks

4 Solutions

If you have Windows 10 Pro or higher you can use Group Policy to disable Windows Update from installing drivers for your hardware.

I needed to use Windows 10 Pro Group Policy otherwise it kept downloading drivers that I didn't need or want.

NOTE: If your Acer Support has really out-dated Graphic drivers than use AMD generic basic Graphic driver. But it is always recommended to use your Laptop Support drivers rather than 3rd  party drivers for a laptop.

AMD mobile generic laptop driver most of the time won't show the exact GPU model in Device Manager. But it will either show the family or series of the GPU you have installed. It will still be compatible and should work.

You can also use a Microsoft free App called Hide/Unhide Utility. You can hide any Windows Update from downloading and installing in your laptop or vice versa.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the answer and sorry for any writing problems, because I'm creating the text in Brazilian Portuguese and translating it to English nbo goofle tratutor.
I use windows 11 pro. In this case there is also the Windows 11 Pro Group Policy. If there is, how do I do this procedure.

0 Likes

I would advise going on YouTube. It would be really long and difficult to explain. Plus going through your local media channels should offer videos in your native language which would make doing the GPE easier for you. It's what I did. Found a short walkthrough video and followed the directions. Its been over a moth now and the problem has not returned. 

Type in how to use a Group Policy Editor in Windows 11 Pro to block window update from downloading AMD graphics drivers.

If the video wants you to download "free software" go to a different video. That free software is usually full of adware malware or both.

Registry Editor and Group Policy Editor are normal windows testing tools that developers use to ensure OS stability and functionality. 

They are free to use and an integral part of windows OS just like Command Prompt and Power Shell.

Plus I would not recommend something that I haven't done on my own PC that caused no problems. 

Here is one specific YouTube on how to use Windows 11 using Group Policy to block Windows Driver updates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOnciNLalHE

From Windows Central shows the same thing but in writing and pictures: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-automatic-updates-windows-11

Screenshot 2022-02-27 093811.png

5 Replies

If you have Windows 10 Pro or higher you can use Group Policy to disable Windows Update from installing drivers for your hardware.

I needed to use Windows 10 Pro Group Policy otherwise it kept downloading drivers that I didn't need or want.

NOTE: If your Acer Support has really out-dated Graphic drivers than use AMD generic basic Graphic driver. But it is always recommended to use your Laptop Support drivers rather than 3rd  party drivers for a laptop.

AMD mobile generic laptop driver most of the time won't show the exact GPU model in Device Manager. But it will either show the family or series of the GPU you have installed. It will still be compatible and should work.

You can also use a Microsoft free App called Hide/Unhide Utility. You can hide any Windows Update from downloading and installing in your laptop or vice versa.

Thanks for the answer and sorry for any writing problems, because I'm creating the text in Brazilian Portuguese and translating it to English nbo goofle tratutor.
I use windows 11 pro. In this case there is also the Windows 11 Pro Group Policy. If there is, how do I do this procedure.

0 Likes

I would advise going on YouTube. It would be really long and difficult to explain. Plus going through your local media channels should offer videos in your native language which would make doing the GPE easier for you. It's what I did. Found a short walkthrough video and followed the directions. Its been over a moth now and the problem has not returned. 

Type in how to use a Group Policy Editor in Windows 11 Pro to block window update from downloading AMD graphics drivers.

If the video wants you to download "free software" go to a different video. That free software is usually full of adware malware or both.

Registry Editor and Group Policy Editor are normal windows testing tools that developers use to ensure OS stability and functionality. 

They are free to use and an integral part of windows OS just like Command Prompt and Power Shell.

Plus I would not recommend something that I haven't done on my own PC that caused no problems. 

Here is one specific YouTube on how to use Windows 11 using Group Policy to block Windows Driver updates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOnciNLalHE

From Windows Central shows the same thing but in writing and pictures: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-automatic-updates-windows-11

Screenshot 2022-02-27 093811.png

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Yep windows 10 Pro 64 Version 21H2.

Had to use a group policy editor to block windows update from downloading AMD display/graphics drivers.

Nothing else worked. Even the windows tool that is supposed to block windows update from downloading drivers for my systems hardware did not work.

MDTech on YouTube has a great walkthrough video that's about 6 or 7 minutes. I used that video to guide me in doing the group policy editor.

It's real simple and works.