cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

pato05
Adept II

Re: Windows not booting after instaling latest drivers.

@mackbolan777 I am extremely sorry for this very late response. I was trying to get someone to look for the PC in the meantime, but this coronavirus makes it all worse.

Yes, I do have a wifi/Bluetooth card, which actually stops working for some time, when the computer freezes (probably related to a power issue?), I did try removing it, but it wasn't the problem either.

Yes, I did download Windows 10 20H2 from the Media Creation Tool, downloaded from microsoft.com. The thing is that I would want to avoid returning a component which I'm not sure it's the problem's cause, it happened with my PSU, which showed up to be working just as right... But if that may be the only chance, I'mma request one.

I also tried old drivers, but none seem to work...

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

@mackbolan777 I got in touch with the Sapphire support, but they sadly said the couldn't make me an RMA because they selled the card to Amazon with a discount and without manufacturer warranty, also Amazon has none left so I can't get one from them as well, but they told me (sapphire) to use a pencil eraser on the PCI-E connector, so I did that but as I expected it didn't help at all

0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Check the BIOS version and that board for compatibility to be sure all that lines up. This is an older post, so to be clear it boots cleanly, after about 2 minutes in BIOS, to Windows? You might need to adjust some BIOS voltages, check to see if the SOC voltage is at 1.10, VDDP .940-1.00, VDDG .950-1.00 or if they are all default it should be ok. CPU vCore or whatever your BIOS calls it should remain on "auto". Any PBO options should be disabled or greyed out.

DRAM voltage should read whatever the box said or off the sticker on it. If you're trying to run the RAM using "XMP" or "DOCP", don't. Get the first 4 numbers off the box or sticker and enter those in BIOS by making the DRAM "manual". Enter the speed or select it from the list, enter the timings manually top to bottom of the one's you got off the box or sticker (should be something like 16,16,16,36,50 voltage 1.35v-1.45v is typical). 

That last part about not using the "XMP" or "DOCP" and entering your RAM stuff manually, might be the fix. Pencil eraser....

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

Everything is on Auto/its default value, I didn't change anything, also it doesn't help if I disable XMP. I have also updated the BIOS to F13 (latest), also it is a B550M which should be compatible by default to a 3rd gen ryzen... I really do think I've got a defective board..

0 Kudos
benman2785
Big Boss

boot into safe-mode
does that work?

if yes:
you use a modded BIOS for your AMD GPU!

run atikmdag-patcher_v1.4.9.exe (from https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher) in safe-mode

boom - your windows will work normal again 😉

PC: R7 2700X @4.1GHz + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Dunno about a modded VBIOS being an issue as you would've needed to use a special program to do that and this is a 5500XT, not known for having any mod for the BIOS for anything I'm aware of. However, you may be in luck since Gigabyte released a board BIOS update on 3/12/21 F13e, I think but it's new and is the Agesa 1.2.0.1, that might fix things up. 

You can try Benman's patch thing, I've never heard of it, but maybe? GPU-Z is a program that can ID the vBIOS you have and then you can look it up online to see if it matches your card. As far as I know there was no mod for your card made for increased memory bandwidth, like the RX 5600 XT. Basically if you bought the card new from a known retailer/etailer, it's a factory vBIOS and should work as intended.

I can't reliably say the motherboard is defective, or any other part from all the weird items in this post. If the BIOS update doesn't correct anything, you've tried reinstalling Windows and all the drivers from AMD, not the vendor, then I don't know what to tell you. The unit needs to be looked at hands on by a tech at that point to find the actual issue. This is like the blind leading the blind at this point. Replacing or RMA'ing parts is shooting from the hip and is not likely to fix the issue. However, if you replaced every part, of course one would think that one of the parts would fix the issue, you just wouldn't know which.

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

I personally wouldn't install a modded vBIOS, since I am scared of losing warranty. I am currently trying to replace my motherboard, in the hope that it would fix the issue, since also, if I wait in the BIOS before booting, it successfully boots, even though eventually, there will be a great lag spike, and my wifi card would throw out an error, so I really think it is a motherboard issue since not just one component works properly, but both of the PCI-E cards. (also, wifi works perfectly without gpu drivers as well)

I should return it in 3 days and in the meantime I will buy another one.

0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Update the motherboard BIOS first. Not the GPU, the Gigabyte board. That's a "user" operation that the manufacturer expects the end user to perform or have done at a shop. The new BIOS addresses part of the known issue of PCIe slots not working properly but in the 1st week of April another update is coming out to fix both the PCIe and USB port issue. Replacing the board will not fix his since YOU are responsible for updating the motherboard, not the manufacturer. Doing that will not void your warranty. Follow the instructions in your manual or online from Gigabyte's site on flashing the BIOS.

This is the first time you mentioned a WIFI device. The driver being wrong or that device being incompatible will give an error 17. To see if it's the issue, uninstall it and use an ethernet cable to see if the problem vanishes. If it does, that WIFI is your issue. 

The WIFI card installed too close to the GPU can cause this problem as well due to RFI. In that case, move the WIFI down a slot or 2, as far away from the GPU as possible. You might need a higher quality WIFI card with proper shielding. 

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

The wifi card is pretty close to the GPU and I have no other choices since the board is just enough to host both, and anyways I tried running the PC without WiFi, physically removed, but the issue persisted, guess I'll try updating the BIOS, but I think it really is an hardware issue (like a failing component), rather than a software one, since the PC stopped working from a day to another, not by updating the BIOS...

mackbolan777
Forerunner

I got nothing more to offer. Good luck!

0 Kudos