cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Windows not booting after instaling latest drivers.

First, even 2 month old parts can be bad, assume nothing. But since I read the rest of these replies, I would encourage you to try driver 20.8.3 or 20.4.2 as a last resort. Use DDU in safe mode and then install the 20.8.3 if the download site is up. . 

AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 XT Previous Drivers | AMD Find the one for Windows 10 X64 on that page, it is working now in the USA anyway. 

Running CCleaner from: Clean & speed up your slow PC | CCleaner Official Website and using the registry cleaner part will ensure there's nothing left from previous drivers. This utility is the safest registry cleaner I know of and won't hurt anything. It gives you the option to back up the changes it makes, if any, I always do. Note I've never needed to import the backup, meaning then program does it's job nicely for free. 

I need to assume when you tested the other SSD/HDD's for this issue, you removed the M.2 drive during the test. If not, you might want to redo the test. If issues persist, run Memtest X86 or similar to check your RAM. Sticks go bad all the time, anytime. Even one error means a bad stick.

I doubt it's a VBIOS update issue as the only one that I know of is for the RX 5600 XT to raise the VRAM clock to 14GBps vs. the stock 12. 

The latest Windows update causes an issue that if you run SFC Tool, it causes the PC to become unbootable. Microsoft is working on a fix. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

@mackbolan777 

"The latest Windows update causes an issue that if you run SFC Tool, it causes the PC to become unbootable."

I haven't been able to find any information concerning SFC Tool being used in which it can make your PC unbootable. 

The only thing I found was a BSOD error "Unmountable Boot Volume" in which you will need a Windows Installation disc to repair your PC to be able to boot into Windows again.

I know this is going off topic but it is something important to me since I do use and recommend other Users to use SFC /scannow to check their Windows OS for corruption.

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

Sadly, for me that page is completely empty and contains no downloads, so I don't really know where to find older drivers (I live in Italy if this might help). Also, I didn't remove the M.2 NVME drive, but I had just booted another installation on the other drive, which again didin't work. I don't really think it's a drive issue 'cause I tried booting a Linux live from an USB Stick, and by using DriveDroid too, which didn't boot, and it was stuck at the line in the first post. Anyways, as soon as I'll be able to, I'll try to run all the tests you said, by running CCleaner too, and eventually running Memtest too (even though I used the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool).

For the SFC problem, I would say I do not think this was the cause, since I had run it after I started having problems... I'll eventually let you know if I discover anything useful, and I'll also try to get the Minidumps from the BSOD.

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

This is interesting, my manufacturer is Sapphire, and the only thing I actually did is contact AMD's Official Support and contact Amazon, to see wheter I could still get a refund (which I can get), this is the option I do not want to apply, since now cards are overpriced as you may tell. I'd like to contact Sapphire/proceed with a VBIOS update, do you have any useful links for me?

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Try downloaoding previous AMD Drivers from 3DGURU.com. They have all the AMD Drivers from the latest to Catalyst version from here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

Not sure which Sapphire 5500XT you have but according to Sapphire website that GPU card has 2 BIOS installed in which you can switch between the 2 BIOS depending on how you are planning on your the GPU card: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-5500-xt-8g-gddr6

Screenshot 2021-01-17 152718.png

Note: The Sapphire RX5500XT SE doesn't have Dual vBIOS in case that is the one you have.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

This other User in another AMD Thread found out how to access the AMD Download page. When you get to the page where it suppose to show the drivers to download, Left Click your mouse and it automatically opens up the page for you download the drivers.
0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

@elstaci My graphics card is the Pulse Radeon 5500xt 8gb, the same model you linked. I also got to download older drivers from AMD, and tried the september version, either by installing automatically or by installing from device manager, the same problem has happened. I also do not know how to switch BIOSes, I don't think I have any Sapphire software on my PC.

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

@mackbolan777 I've tried drivers 20.8.3 but I wasn't able to try 20.4.2 since it didn't download. I also cleaned C:\AMD and used CCleaner as suggested, and I ticked the factory reset option too. I still have to properly test my drives tho, but as I said I do not think it is a drives issue since Windows boots correctly without drivers.

I will use Memtest by removing sticks too, to see if there are any problems.

If that could help, my vBIOS is NAVI14 (read from DDU)

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

Also, another thing that came out to my mind is that I had some blackouts (2-3) a few days ago, all while I was playing. I'm now running a Memtest, for now 2/4 passed, I'll edit this post later with the result.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

That was an important fact that you left off. Blackouts can be very damaging to computer and electronic equipment. Not when power goes out but when power resumes back on.

Generally when power comes back on from a Blackout, The initial surge of power is quite large for a brief moment. enough to damage any connected computer or electronic device like your refrigerator (compressor) unless you have a power surge suppressor connected to the computer or you are using a UPS (Universal Power Supply).

If you have the Sapphire Pulse there is a tiny switch on the GPU card where you can change the vBIOS from Performance to Silent. make sure you have power turned off when switching vBIOS on the GPU card.

0 Kudos