cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

pato05
Adept II

Re: Windows not booting after instaling latest drivers.

Seems like that page is empty...

Yes, Windows boots up fine after removing the drivers using DDU, then I can set the correct resolution and it works fine (apart from some screen tearing which i guess is normal). I wonder how it can do that, if the graphics card is dead, who's outputting this? Is it the CPU itself?

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

No, When there isn't any Graphics driver installed for a GPU card or Integrated Graphics, Windows automatically uses a basic Display adapter called MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER so that a User will have video while troubleshooting or updating the Graphics Driver. It is very basic enough for you to do or run most programs or surf the net.

So it seems like your GPU card is working otherwise you wouldn't have any video when you boot up.

If you installed the AMD Driver again with the same results than it is definitely the AMD driver causing the issue. I would open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see what they suggest you do from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Could be something is not compatible or in conflict when the AMD driver is installed or you have a problem with your GPU card or Motherboard.

NOTE: If you go to Device Manager under "Display" you should see MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER installed if you removed the AMD Driver. This indicate you have no AMD Driver installed for your GPU card.

Which AMD Driver did you install - AMDGPU Driver (linux) or the actual 5500XT Driver for Windows?

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

Thank you. I have already sent an email there, but didn't yet receive a reply. Anyways, yes, I have video when no drivers are installed, so I hope there's a chance that the GPU isn't actually done.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

If you installed the Windows 5500XT AMD Driver you should have a AMD Installation folder in your Root directory called C:\AMD.

Try just installing the AMD Driver with its related software only and see if the problem occurs.

Go into Device Manager - Display and click on MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER and hit "UPDATE DRIVER" then steer it to the AMD installation folder. It should scan the folder and install the AMD Driver and any related software it might need to use to run but it won't install the full AMD Driver package.

NOTE: By the way, when you removed the AMD Driver using DDU did you delete C:\AMD installation folder?

If not it could have some previous AMD drivers in there that could have corrupted your AMD Driver installation. I always delete that specific C:\AMD Folder before installing any AMD or Nvidia Graphics Drivers.

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

No, I did not. Thank you I will try.. I'm still wondering why it failed with both Windows and Linux. Do the drivers update the graphics card's firmware?

0 Kudos
benman2785
Big Boss

test if Windows boots into safe-mode!

PC: R7 2700X @4.1GHz + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

No. You need a special software that updates GPU BIOSes.

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

It does.

0 Kudos
pato05
Adept II

How did it break so randomly then, and on both systems... I'm still wondering about this. I hope the steps you said will be working and reviving my GPU.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Well the only common aspect is the AMD Driver and GPU Card that is being used on both Linux and Windows.

Booting into Safe mode will automatically use the MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER instead of any installed GPU graphics adapter which is disabled.

I would also open a Support Ticket with the GPU Card manufacturer and see what they suggest the problem could be. Maybe, as you mentioned, it needs a vBIOS update to make it work correctly with the AMD drivers.

Sometimes the GPU Manufacturer has a newer vBIOS version to download and install.

0 Kudos