cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pato05
Adept II

Windows not booting after instaling latest drivers.

Hi guys, this is my first post here. Basically, from a few days ago, Windows started not booting, and staying froze there, until it crashed, and again, until the repair options came up. So I tried restoring a previous system point, and it seemed to boot. The next day, same thing, but then after some crashes it finally booted (so I runned DISM and SFC, but one said that it fixed, while the other didn't find anything). Today, it didn't boot at all, so I decided to run a fresh windows install, everything fine, until it booted and I decided to install the graphics drivers. Again, it crashed. I also tried booting pop!_os, and it stuck on the following: 

fb0: switching to amdgpudrmfb from EFI VGA

I think this is really an hardware problem, even though I really hope it is not (you know, graphics cards now are expensive and I need one, having no IGPU)... Do you know any way I can fix this?

My configuration:

• Gigabyte B550M DS3H
  • AMD Ryzen 3 3100
  • AMD Radeon 5500XT

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
64 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

What's your PSU? Are you using an SSD or regular HDD? I'd also recommend using DDU or the "factory reset" option when installing the video driver and use the 20.8.3 driver. Aside from a bad PSU or using the newer driver on that card, it sounds like a bad HDD or SSD.

"It worked before you broke it!"

This is my PSU: https://amzn.to/2LZyjsI.

Also I don't think it is my SSD because I tested with a SATA SSD too, and with an USB drive, with a linux distro, the one I'm using is an NVME SSD that I bought 2 months ago, just like my whole build. Thank you, is there something else I can provide/can try?

0 Likes

Reprir or reinstall the windows there is nothing else to do 

Also as mackbolan777 said check your HDD or SSD too my SSHD burn out right when I was updating . So I had to buy new SSD lol 

0 Likes

I already did reinstall Windows 10, as said, the problem came as soon as I install the driver, I got a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, searching online I found out that the graphics driver can cause this too, might it be a defecting graphics card?

0 Likes

That error you posted seems to be related to Linux OS.

Found this Tech website where a User found a fix for that error in Linux: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/fb0-switching-to-amdgpudrmfb-from-efi-vga/152112/2

Screenshot 2021-01-17 092604.png

This recent thread at a linux forum seems to indicate a bug with AMDGPU driver: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/544534-Since-5-3-18-lp152-41-Unable-to-boot-fb0-switchtin...

0 Likes

Sorry, I probably was unclear, the problem is related to both (Windows or Linux), that's why I think it is a rather issue rather than a software one. Anyways, I'll try later to follow the linked instructions, and I'll let you know if I've been able to solve the issue. Thank you.

0 Likes

I couldn't locate any Windows 10 error with the one you posted only with linux OS.

Have you tried updating your Motherboard's CHIPSET and BIOS versions: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Are there any Motherboard Trouble LED or digital codes it when it fails to boot?

If you believe it is the GPU card, try using a different GPU card and see if the same thing occurs after uninstalling the AMD driver first.

At the moment, AMD Download page is not working. I was going to say either update to the latest AMD Driver or use a previous AMD Driver for your GPU card to see it is makes any difference.

0 Likes

I did update the BIOS to the F11 version, but I downloaded the chipset driver from the AMD Website: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

I've not noticed any leds blinking on the motherboard, I'll give an update in case I discover anything else.

At last, I sadly have no other Graphics cards to test with, and I had already installed the latest version (after cleaning with DDU and checking the factory reset option) either recommended and latest (optional), and I didn't find any older versions linked on the website. Would you be able to link me any older drivers to test with?

0 Likes

This is the link to AMD Download page showing the Previous AMD Drivers for the RX5500XT GPU Card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-s...

But the download site for the link is still not working, at least for my area.

Installing AMD Latest CHIPSET is probably best since AMD has newer versions than the Motherboards Support download page.

Does Windows boot up normally after removing the AMD Driver using DDU in Safe mode?

0 Likes

Seems like that page is empty...

Yes, Windows boots up fine after removing the drivers using DDU, then I can set the correct resolution and it works fine (apart from some screen tearing which i guess is normal). I wonder how it can do that, if the graphics card is dead, who's outputting this? Is it the CPU itself?

0 Likes

No, When there isn't any Graphics driver installed for a GPU card or Integrated Graphics, Windows automatically uses a basic Display adapter called MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER so that a User will have video while troubleshooting or updating the Graphics Driver. It is very basic enough for you to do or run most programs or surf the net.

So it seems like your GPU card is working otherwise you wouldn't have any video when you boot up.

If you installed the AMD Driver again with the same results than it is definitely the AMD driver causing the issue. I would open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see what they suggest you do from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Could be something is not compatible or in conflict when the AMD driver is installed or you have a problem with your GPU card or Motherboard.

NOTE: If you go to Device Manager under "Display" you should see MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER installed if you removed the AMD Driver. This indicate you have no AMD Driver installed for your GPU card.

Which AMD Driver did you install - AMDGPU Driver (linux) or the actual 5500XT Driver for Windows?

0 Likes

Thank you. I have already sent an email there, but didn't yet receive a reply. Anyways, yes, I have video when no drivers are installed, so I hope there's a chance that the GPU isn't actually done.

0 Likes

If you installed the Windows 5500XT AMD Driver you should have a AMD Installation folder in your Root directory called C:\AMD.

Try just installing the AMD Driver with its related software only and see if the problem occurs.

Go into Device Manager - Display and click on MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER and hit "UPDATE DRIVER" then steer it to the AMD installation folder. It should scan the folder and install the AMD Driver and any related software it might need to use to run but it won't install the full AMD Driver package.

NOTE: By the way, when you removed the AMD Driver using DDU did you delete C:\AMD installation folder?

If not it could have some previous AMD drivers in there that could have corrupted your AMD Driver installation. I always delete that specific C:\AMD Folder before installing any AMD or Nvidia Graphics Drivers.

0 Likes

No, I did not. Thank you I will try.. I'm still wondering why it failed with both Windows and Linux. Do the drivers update the graphics card's firmware?

0 Likes

test if Windows boots into safe-mode!

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

It does.

0 Likes

No. You need a special software that updates GPU BIOSes.

0 Likes

How did it break so randomly then, and on both systems... I'm still wondering about this. I hope the steps you said will be working and reviving my GPU.

0 Likes

Well the only common aspect is the AMD Driver and GPU Card that is being used on both Linux and Windows.

Booting into Safe mode will automatically use the MS BASIC DISPLAY ADAPTER instead of any installed GPU graphics adapter which is disabled.

I would also open a Support Ticket with the GPU Card manufacturer and see what they suggest the problem could be. Maybe, as you mentioned, it needs a vBIOS update to make it work correctly with the AMD drivers.

Sometimes the GPU Manufacturer has a newer vBIOS version to download and install.

0 Likes

First, even 2 month old parts can be bad, assume nothing. But since I read the rest of these replies, I would encourage you to try driver 20.8.3 or 20.4.2 as a last resort. Use DDU in safe mode and then install the 20.8.3 if the download site is up. . 

AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 XT Previous Drivers | AMD Find the one for Windows 10 X64 on that page, it is working now in the USA anyway. 

Running CCleaner from: Clean & speed up your slow PC | CCleaner Official Website and using the registry cleaner part will ensure there's nothing left from previous drivers. This utility is the safest registry cleaner I know of and won't hurt anything. It gives you the option to back up the changes it makes, if any, I always do. Note I've never needed to import the backup, meaning then program does it's job nicely for free. 

I need to assume when you tested the other SSD/HDD's for this issue, you removed the M.2 drive during the test. If not, you might want to redo the test. If issues persist, run Memtest X86 or similar to check your RAM. Sticks go bad all the time, anytime. Even one error means a bad stick.

I doubt it's a VBIOS update issue as the only one that I know of is for the RX 5600 XT to raise the VRAM clock to 14GBps vs. the stock 12. 

The latest Windows update causes an issue that if you run SFC Tool, it causes the PC to become unbootable. Microsoft is working on a fix. 

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 

"The latest Windows update causes an issue that if you run SFC Tool, it causes the PC to become unbootable."

I haven't been able to find any information concerning SFC Tool being used in which it can make your PC unbootable. 

The only thing I found was a BSOD error "Unmountable Boot Volume" in which you will need a Windows Installation disc to repair your PC to be able to boot into Windows again.

I know this is going off topic but it is something important to me since I do use and recommend other Users to use SFC /scannow to check their Windows OS for corruption.

0 Likes

Sadly, for me that page is completely empty and contains no downloads, so I don't really know where to find older drivers (I live in Italy if this might help). Also, I didn't remove the M.2 NVME drive, but I had just booted another installation on the other drive, which again didin't work. I don't really think it's a drive issue 'cause I tried booting a Linux live from an USB Stick, and by using DriveDroid too, which didn't boot, and it was stuck at the line in the first post. Anyways, as soon as I'll be able to, I'll try to run all the tests you said, by running CCleaner too, and eventually running Memtest too (even though I used the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool).

For the SFC problem, I would say I do not think this was the cause, since I had run it after I started having problems... I'll eventually let you know if I discover anything useful, and I'll also try to get the Minidumps from the BSOD.

0 Likes

This other User in another AMD Thread found out how to access the AMD Download page. When you get to the page where it suppose to show the drivers to download, Left Click your mouse and it automatically opens up the page for you download the drivers.
0 Likes

@mackbolan777 I've tried drivers 20.8.3 but I wasn't able to try 20.4.2 since it didn't download. I also cleaned C:\AMD and used CCleaner as suggested, and I ticked the factory reset option too. I still have to properly test my drives tho, but as I said I do not think it is a drives issue since Windows boots correctly without drivers.

I will use Memtest by removing sticks too, to see if there are any problems.

If that could help, my vBIOS is NAVI14 (read from DDU)

0 Likes

Also, another thing that came out to my mind is that I had some blackouts (2-3) a few days ago, all while I was playing. I'm now running a Memtest, for now 2/4 passed, I'll edit this post later with the result.

0 Likes

That was an important fact that you left off. Blackouts can be very damaging to computer and electronic equipment. Not when power goes out but when power resumes back on.

Generally when power comes back on from a Blackout, The initial surge of power is quite large for a brief moment. enough to damage any connected computer or electronic device like your refrigerator (compressor) unless you have a power surge suppressor connected to the computer or you are using a UPS (Universal Power Supply).

If you have the Sapphire Pulse there is a tiny switch on the GPU card where you can change the vBIOS from Performance to Silent. make sure you have power turned off when switching vBIOS on the GPU card.

0 Likes

@elstaci I switched it, installed drivers, and it crashed, rebooting. Then though at boot it did hang, but didn't crash/reboot again.

Also I finished Memtesting my RAM, no errors at all.

I also tried disabling Freesync, but it didn't help.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 I finished doing everything as you said, I installed the 20.8.3 driver (couldn't install the 20.4.2), after I ran CCleaner, I ran a Memtest, no issues at all. I removed my M.2 drive and installed windows on a SATA SSD, did viceversa too, everything as a 100% clean installation. Also I used the latest 20H2 update, but nothing seems to be working. Also switched vBIOS to silent as suggested by @elstaci. I don't know what else to do. So I am starting to think that it is really dead hardware, how am I getting a video output though...

I also contacted Sapphire support, and I am currently waiting for an answer.

0 Likes

@pato05 

It is strange but one last possibility is not enough power. Your card won't draw the high wattage until you install the driver. Try a different PSU, because without an amp clamp on a multi-meter you won't be able to tell if the PSU is putting out what the card needs. It could be a defective card, like a bad VRM on it, which would cause no video post driver install. A remote possibility is if you are dual-booting using CSM enabled, it could be a problem as AMD cards prefer strict UEFI. Nothing is unsolvable, some problems take longer than others to isolate. It does seem more like a power issue of some kind, either PSU or card being defective at power delivery. If all checks out, the last thing would be the motherboard itself being defective in the PCIe area or VRM. Keep us posted.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 At this point, I really think myself it is a power issue, I am not running in BIOS compatibility, but just in UEFI mode. I am going to try the card on another PC tomorrow, and hope that it is the power supply. Thank you all for your help, I'll keep you updated as soon as I discover anything.

This is becoming even more strange, today I installed lastest optional drivers (21.1.1), and somehow, it managed to completely install the drivers, and I got it to reboot. Then it died again, but booted successfully. Then, it died again, and had to try 10 times to get it to boot. I looked into "Event Viewer" and found something referring to bluetooth drivers(?), I do not see how that could be related (since it is just an usb device), but I installed the drivers anyways. Also I found some other references to various services (Xbox server, VMSP service) and damaged sectors in the file system, but I think it is because of the computer crashes.

0 Likes

You're killing your OS at this point with crashes. You will want to do a new install of Windows soon. Backup anything you want to keep like Documents, Downloads, the usual "Library" items, I back up the Desktop because I save some stuff there. Any moment you will wind up unbootable and you'll need to connect the SSD/HDD to another PC to retrieve anything readable.

That said, did you try the card on another PC yet? A shorted or bad USB device can absolutely cause issues like yours. A bad keyboard, mouse, Wi-Fi module, anything that plugs into the USB ports. I had a broken USB port on my one case and had all kinds of weird things happening until I found the plastic tab was broken to one side and had shorted 2 pins. Unplugged the case's hub for the front USB and all was fixed.

Something like that could very well be causing your problem. Check internally for bent pins at the USB headers on the board, RGB headers, fan headers, front panel, etc. Broken SATA connector is a possibility. Tilt the PC around , unplugged, listen for anything rattling, could be a screw or something. Never know.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 I fortunately have nothing important on the PC meaning I can reinstall Windows 10 whenever I want. Thinking it was a power issue, I runned a Passmark benchmark, and GPU was at 100% with 100W power consumption (from the Radeon Software), but it didn't crash. I could try unplugging the bluetooth usb device to see if this solves the issue, also I have no screws inside the PC (I was really careful when building it, because I knew that would short the mobo) and I checked again

Also I sadly couldn't get to test it on another PC, I am trying to get a friend to test it on his PC though, I'll just need to wait.

Now that I think about it, I heard a bzzz sound coming out from something inside (particularily when running games/benchmarking, perhaps the GPU, but I am not sure), is this normal or could this help out in isolating the problem?

0 Likes

This is interesting, my manufacturer is Sapphire, and the only thing I actually did is contact AMD's Official Support and contact Amazon, to see wheter I could still get a refund (which I can get), this is the option I do not want to apply, since now cards are overpriced as you may tell. I'd like to contact Sapphire/proceed with a VBIOS update, do you have any useful links for me?

0 Likes

Try downloaoding previous AMD Drivers from 3DGURU.com. They have all the AMD Drivers from the latest to Catalyst version from here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

Not sure which Sapphire 5500XT you have but according to Sapphire website that GPU card has 2 BIOS installed in which you can switch between the 2 BIOS depending on how you are planning on your the GPU card: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-5500-xt-8g-gddr6

Screenshot 2021-01-17 152718.png

Note: The Sapphire RX5500XT SE doesn't have Dual vBIOS in case that is the one you have.

0 Likes

@elstaci My graphics card is the Pulse Radeon 5500xt 8gb, the same model you linked. I also got to download older drivers from AMD, and tried the september version, either by installing automatically or by installing from device manager, the same problem has happened. I also do not know how to switch BIOSes, I don't think I have any Sapphire software on my PC.

0 Likes

I tried my motherboard on another system but there it is working just fine. The problem seems to be the GPU, and also today I wasn't able to boot anymore by using the BIOS trick I mentioned in some posts earlier...

I tried disabling XMP, loading optimal bios configuration, resetting cmos, switching BIOSes from the GPU switch, removing my Wi-Fi card, using another SSD, and memtested my RAM. Nothing helped at all... As @elstaci mentioned, I'll try contacting sapphire once again asking if a vBIOS update is available (I had contacted them before in the hope of getting it replaced, but that is not possible since it seems they had a discount for amazon, thus they couldn't help me and I had to sort this out with Amazon which has none available). 

@elstaciquick update: the vBIOSes sent by Sapphire, and my extracted one (also sent to them, as asked) are apparently the same...

photo_2021-04-09_09-52-20.jpg

I don't know anymore what to do... Sadly as I previously said, I can't get a replacement by Sapphire nor Amazon. None of the solutions worked, and later I'll try to switch vBIOS (physical switch on the GPU) and confront that one with the other vBIOS as well, but at this point I think they are the same as well... And if I return the card for a refund I won't be able to use my PC, since the Ryzen 3 3100 doesn't have an IGPU. I would probably go for a refund, since it seems like it's a card problem rather than a software issue, at least I'll get my money back. Before I do so, do you know anything else I could try, or anything else that could be causing the issue?

Quick summary:

• the motherboard is working (tested on a different system)
  • the ram is working (memtested, and I also tried booting by removing the first ram stick then the second, same problem)
  • the wifi card seems not to be the problem (without GPU drivers seems to be working correctly most of the times, while with them sometimes the wifi won't work and errors are thrown in the Event Viewer)
  • the CPU is working (I guess the computer wouldn't even boot if it didn't work)

What did I try?

• reinstalling windows
  • updating motherboard BIOS
  • updating chipset drivers (with AMD's automatic installer)
  • installing old GPU drivers (after DDUing the installed ones)
  • switching vBIOSes with the switch on the card (Pulse 5500xt's seem to have a switch to switch between "Performance" mode or "Silent" mode)
  • removing GPU from the motherboard and putting it back
  • another SSD (a SATA one to be specific, while mine is a NVME one)
  • asking for a vBIOS update (the vBIOS they sent me back is the exact same as the one I already have installed on my card, checked with a SHA256 sum)

Do you know if anything is missing to this checklist?

0 Likes

@pato05 

Sounds like your GPU card is defective. If only you can borrow another GPU Card from a family or friend, AMD GPU if possible, and see if everything works fine when you install it in your PC.

Sounds like when the AMD Driver (Latest and Previous) is installed it caused the GPU card to not work correctly.

I wouldn't mess updating or reinstalling the vBIOS since it could void your GPU return to Amazon or its Warranty.

In Italy you should have a 2 year EU Consumer Warranty if you purchased the GPU Card in Europe by the Retailer. Don't know if your purchased the GPU Card from Amazon's European site or American site.

But under European Consumer regulations, the Retailer would have the choice of:

1- Repairing the GPU card

2-Replacing the GPU card

3-Giving a Pro-Rata Refund of the GPU card.

This is if your purchased the GPU card from a EU Retailer.

NOTE: You seemed to have tried just about everything except installing another GPU card in your PC or installing your GPU card in another PC.  But everything seems to point to a defective GPU card. 

Also if you ask for a Refund you might not get a full refund but a Pro-Rata Refund unless Amazon refunds the full amount back to you.

Either way, Good Luck and I hope you are able to resolve your GPU issue since it has been more than 3 months with this issue.

Did AMD Support ever get back to you when you contacted them?

0 Likes