Adept II

Windows Extremely Slow Since Switching Graphics

Recently built a new PC with specs:

Asus ROG VIII Crosshair Formula - 1.0.0.3 ABBA bios

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200 speed

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X

2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB - RAID 0 configuration

MSI NVidia 760 Graphics card - Details unknown

The reason for the random graphics card was I borrowed one from a friend while waiting for the card I wanted to come in stock. With the above configuration, everything was working just fine.

Now a week or so ago, I finally got my PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT. So I downloaded DDU, rebooted into safe mode, then ran DDU to remove NVidia drivers completely. (not reinstall, remove and shut down option) Then swapped in the new card, booted back into windows and installed adrenaline. At first I used auto detect option and got 19.10.1 as a result. This is when issues began. I've since uninstalled Adrenaline and manually installed 19.9.2 however issues persist.

The main issue is that since swapping graphics (and this could be coincidental) Windows has become significantly less responsive. It takes ages for Firefox to load for example despite having low resource usage. When it finally does open, it hangs, takes for ever to type, load a page etc. When I'm on a page hovering over a link/button for example is unresponsive and clicking takes a while. If I try to force things it will lock up and show the usual "Not Responding" layover on the window. This happens for many other applications as well, not just Firefox. My primary web browser is Brave (Chromium fork) and while this application loads up and I can use it relatively normally, if I do anything that involves downloading or uploading on it, that is noticeably slower. Another example is if I right click on things on my taskbar, certain apps don't produce a context menu at all or take extremely long to produce it, while others produce their context menu just fine. I don't really know what the pattern is for which apps work better than others but just for example, if I right click on Logitech Gaming Software I get the context menu right away. If I right click on Corsair iCUE it doesn't.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

0 Likes
1 Solution
hadesflames
Adept II

Last update in case anyone ever runs into this in the future.

I went back into bios, re-enabled XMP and noticed that I did not have secure boot set to windows mode. I don't believe this to have been the cause of the issue but figure I should mention all the same that I changed this to windows mode anyway.

After making these 2 bios changes, I booted into windows installation media, loaded up the AMD Raid drivers and wiped my drive for a completely clean install of windows.

Since doing this, it's been a couple of days and I have not experienced the original issue. I have no idea what caused it or why, nor am I sure why reinstalling windows (or setting secure boot to windows mode) fixed the issue. However that's what I did and I'm not longer experiencing the issue.

My guess would be that the windows efi secure boot mode was not supported by the older NVidia graphics card. This is why it wasn't set that way. When installing the new graphics card, it caused some kind of incompatibility with windows that produced this issue, which would mean the re-install wasn't necessary. So if anyone happens to be experiencing this issue in future, I'd check to see if that works first before re-installing windows.

The fact XMP was re-enabled prior to the re-install proves it was not the issue. Likewise, I didn't touch my raid configuration at all either. The wipe was done by the windows installation media after loading drivers. Not by destroying the RAID array so there was no issue with RAID.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
34 Replies

Windows is likely messing with your install. You already have the driver download so you need that again. Disable Windows Fast Startup. Boot to safe mode again and RUN DDU AGAIN. With the Internet disable restart and now install the driver again. With the internet disabled this should keep Windows update from interfering with the install of the driver. If you want to be sure you can go into services and disable the update service temporarily. 

If this isn't the issue I am not sure what is going on. But it is very common to have this happen. You can ask for help from AMD support as well here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Disabled my wifi adapter to not allow windows any access to the internet. Rebooted into windows safe mode with NO networking. Ran DDU. Rebooted into windows. Installed AMD drivers. Rebooted again for good measure before re-enabling wifi. Issue persists.

hadesflames
Adept II

It might be worth noting that the issue doesn't happen immediately. That is, if I restart Windows, at first it will run normally. It starts slowing down with time, and typically starts to become noticeable only after a few hours.

0 Likes

You are running the latest bios, chipset driver and the ryzen balance power plan from the latest Ryzen Master?

0 Likes

Yup. As mentioned in OP, running ABBA bios. I'm currently on Ryzen Balanced power plan. I'm not entirely sure what version of the chipset driver I'm on. I just downloaded and installed 1.09.27.1033 off the AMD page to be sure and will report back probably tomorrow whether or not the problem persists.

0 Likes

How are your CPU temperatures?  Does it seem like it might be overheating - above 95c?

If the processor is overheating it will throttle which can cause your computer to run slower. Your Ryzen has a TDP of 105 Watts with a Maximum Operating Temperature of 95C.

3rd generation Processor tend to run hotter than previous generation processors plus the CPU Coolers are not as efficient at removing the heat from these processors due to the design and location (offset from center of processor) of the chips inside the processor.

NOTE: I mentioned the above since you didn't mention what type of CPU Cooler you have installed nor mentioned any specs concerning Temperatures or loads when Windows slows down.

Also with a Nvidia GTX760 GPU Card installed you need a PSU minimum of 500 watts for your computer system.

Try stress testing your CPU and GPU and PSU using OCCT and see if you notice anything abnormal. Either in temperatures, voltages, loads, or if it just crashes.

Also check Device Manager for any errors or Yellow exclamation marks plus also check Windows Event Viewer under "Errors" or "Critical".

Also run DXDIAG and save the file and see what files or programs are having problems under the last category called "Diagnostic" in the saved file.

Also what does Windows Task Manager show under Performance? 

EDIT: I noticed that when my computer was lagging badly and taking a long time such as yours, I found out that one of my internal Hard drives (2 terabytes with 2 partitions) had bad sectors. Once I ran Windows  Chkdsk F: /f/r/x. it found several bad sectors. After the hard drive was bad sectors was fixed then my Windows was running quick again without lagging. 

What happened was that Windows was accessing that hard drive and was having a difficult time accessing the bad sectors. Thus it took a long time for Windows to continue doing other things.

0 Likes

The PSU is a corsair HX850 Platinum.

CPU and GPU temps are both under 60C. With CPU running at around 50C on a pretty lenient fan curve. I'm running the stock Wraith Prism cooler which is more than enough considering I have everything running stock. No overclock at all on anything other than applying the XMP profile for my memory.

Windows feels like crap even with idle loads and VERY low (5-10%) CPU usage and 0-1% GPU usage.

Re: Chkdsk

These are brand new NVMe SSDs. I have absolutely no storage on my PC other than those 2 SSDs. It also doesn't explain why it takes many hours for the performance of windows to start dipping.

0 Likes

Is this a new Windows 10 1903 installation?

0 Likes

Yes.

0 Likes

Okay, I notice you have it in a RAID configuration. Could that be a cause for Windows running slow?

Also do you have the latest SAMSUNG Firmware and NVME Driver for your SSD's: SSD Tools & Software | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website .

Just trying to eliminate possible hardware issues.

0 Likes

Just to check your Windows installation for corruption run SFC /scannow in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell.

0 Likes

SFC found corrupt files which is odd. I'll try fixing this and report back.

SFC scan is clean now however issue persists.

0 Likes

I think I would for sure be talking to support for your motherboard and see if they have any thoughts. You can certainly contact AMD too: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

There was no issue with the initial build. The only thing that's changed is the graphics card and drivers.

0 Likes

by initial build you meant with RAID active on it Windows ran normally?

This is a very old Tom's Hardware (2015) but having the exact same issue as you are having under RAID 0 with two Samsung SSD: Slow Raid 0 | Tom's Hardware Forum 

It mentioned to run a benchmark under RAID to see if it is the RAID configuration causing the slow down.

It is quite out dated but maybe it may help to narrow down what is causing the issue.

I guess one way is to remove RAID and see if Windows runs normally under one SSD drive. But I imagine that would be a last resort thing in troubleshooting your issue unless under intial build RAID was active. Then you can eliminate RAID as the cause.

New SSD could be defective from the factory.

0 Likes

Yes. From the very beginning, it was a RAID 0 config with 2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs. That hasn't changed at all.

One way to eliminate the RX 5700 GPU card and its drivers is if you can install the Nvidia GPU Card again. If everything works normal then that pretty much indicates the Windows issue either with the RX 5700 and/or its AMD Driver for the GPU card.

Since you mentioned that everything worked fine with the Nvidia GPU card.

That is the only variable that changed from when Windows was running normally.

0 Likes

If it turns out to be the RX 5700XT GPU or it driver than I suggest you open a AMD SERVICE REQUEST from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

See what they suggest.

Also you might want to try previous RX 5700XT drivers and see if they work better from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-s... 

Make sure that Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. The Latest AMD Drivers requires that Windows be fully updated.

EDIT: Try stress testing your RX5700XT and see what happens when it is under stress. OCCT is the program I personally use since it also stress tests the PSU which other diagnostic won't do. No installation required.

0 Likes

Forgot to reply. Issue persists with latest chipset driver.

SSD RAID is not really a good idea as they are designed for use by themselves.

RAID friendly SSD products are designed differently

0 Likes

SSD raids are extremely common. Of the key features that used to be why raid was popular the speed is not as much of a factor in the choice anymore, but the redundancy is still huge. Raid protects data. You don't have to google much to see that Raid with SSD is very much alive. Even at home both of my main machines have the Boot SSD mirrored. With SSD the technology has never been more reliable or faster. 

Now if for some reason their is some hiccup with the OP's raid config or the controller on one of the drives has an issue it could certainly be an issue. 

I would think the best thing to do is to install to one drive only and see if the issue persists. 

0 Likes

I mentioned the same thing about getting rid of RAID and using one SSD drive to see if Windows runs normally. but OP replied that with the same RAID configuration from the initial PC Setup but with a Nvidia GPU card Windows ran normally.

So unless RAID got corrupted when the OP installed the RX5700XT and it related driver and software, IMHO, RAID could be eliminated as being the problem.

Best way is for the OP to install the Nvidia GPU card and again see if Windows again runs normally. If it does, than the problem is either with the RX5700XT GPU card or the AMD Driver and its related software (Compatibility issue with AMD driver or GPU card and Windows). BUT if the problem persists with the Nvidia GPU card than it could indicate RAID or Hardware issues causing the problems.

The symptoms are kinda strange in that Windows starts slowing down after several hours. The only thing that comes to my mind is possibly a defective hardware starts heating up or the defection in the hardware increases the more it is used causing Windows to slow down to compensate for the problematic hardware.

Issues can be anywhere and usually where you don't expect. That is why eliminating the easy variables is so important. I have seen raids over the years not work for lots of weird reasons.

0 Likes

I don't know how easy or hard it is to uninstall and install regular RAID again on a computer. But if it is anything like AMD STOREMI it isn't easy to uninstall and install again.

Replacing the RX5700XT with the older Nvidia GPU card is the easiest way to see if that is what is causing the problem. But if the problem continues with the Nvidia GPU card then it would be best to get rid of RAID and see if Windows runs normally with one SSD drive.

Could be Windows somehow got corrupted when installing the RX5700XT and its driver and need to be reinstalled again if SFC or DISM can't fix it.

But like you mentioned it can be many reasons. That is why you need to eliminate the most obvious reasons and try to narrow down the time the problem started. In this case when the OP replaced the Nivida GPU card with the AMD GPU card.

You mentioned to the OP to make sure he had the latest BIOS/UEFI, CHIPSET, & Ryzen Master installed. That is something I would have suggested also as a first step. But doing all that the issue still persists.

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

SSD raids are extremely common. Of the key features that used to be why raid was popular the speed is not as much of a factor in the choice anymore, but the redundancy is still huge. Raid protects data. You don't have to google much to see that Raid with SSD is very much alive. Even at home both of my main machines have the Boot SSD mirrored. With SSD the technology has never been more reliable or faster. 

Now if for some reason their is some hiccup with the OP's raid config or the controller on one of the drives has an issue it could certainly be an issue. 

I would think the best thing to do is to install to one drive only and see if the issue persists. 

I use a CMD file to zip up my personal files to a secondary hard disk so that if the SSD croaks...... 7-zip has command line options for that.

0 Likes
hadesflames
Adept II

I did also contact AMD support. They're proving rather incompetent considering they asked me to enable hardware acceleration on my browser indicating that they didn't even so much as bother to read my submission much less take the time to understand the issue.

0 Likes
hadesflames
Adept II

Alright, I've re-installed the 760 after running DDU. The problem persists. So now this is really interesting. My next step is going to be to disable XMP as that's the only other change I remember making anywhere near around the time this issue started happening. If that doesn't help then I'll be reinstalling Windows and hoping for the best. I'll provide updates for posterity but at this point it's clear that it's not an AMD issue after all.

0 Likes

I have noted that with recent BIOS updates that XMP is unstable on my X470 so it's likely other AM4 boards are also affected.

I have questioned the XMP from the start as it does not offer any material benefit other than more profits for vendors.

The JEDEC is the standard for all memory products

0 Likes

Disabling XMP also did not help unfortunately.

0 Likes

hadesflames wrote:

Disabling XMP also did not help unfortunately.

MSI has a try it feature to select memory speeds and timing

Asus probably has something like it

0 Likes
hadesflames
Adept II

Last update in case anyone ever runs into this in the future.

I went back into bios, re-enabled XMP and noticed that I did not have secure boot set to windows mode. I don't believe this to have been the cause of the issue but figure I should mention all the same that I changed this to windows mode anyway.

After making these 2 bios changes, I booted into windows installation media, loaded up the AMD Raid drivers and wiped my drive for a completely clean install of windows.

Since doing this, it's been a couple of days and I have not experienced the original issue. I have no idea what caused it or why, nor am I sure why reinstalling windows (or setting secure boot to windows mode) fixed the issue. However that's what I did and I'm not longer experiencing the issue.

My guess would be that the windows efi secure boot mode was not supported by the older NVidia graphics card. This is why it wasn't set that way. When installing the new graphics card, it caused some kind of incompatibility with windows that produced this issue, which would mean the re-install wasn't necessary. So if anyone happens to be experiencing this issue in future, I'd check to see if that works first before re-installing windows.

The fact XMP was re-enabled prior to the re-install proves it was not the issue. Likewise, I didn't touch my raid configuration at all either. The wipe was done by the windows installation media after loading drivers. Not by destroying the RAID array so there was no issue with RAID.

0 Likes

beware of a BIOS update which can reset it, I have seen several updates for my box and it has been a real nuisance.

0 Likes