cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ovrlord
Adept I

Windows disabling my 7900xtx on shutdown.

TLDR: Windows disables my graphics card on shutdown. When I reboot I need to go into device manager to reenable it and then restart so that the drivers will load.

What happens.

-I click shutdown, either all lights will go off at once (successful shutdown) or my GPU light will shut off and the Motherboard and AIO light stays on for about 20 sec before shutting off (I now know I need to reenable it)

Card runs games fine, and doesn't overheat, runs under 70c underload. I just build the system about 10 days ago and this has happened 4x now over past few days.

Is it a faulty card? Do I have some settings messed up?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ovrlord
Adept I

I reset Windows (it uninstalled everything including all drivers and reinstalled windows) This seems to have fixed my problem whatever it was, most likely a corrupted windows install. I couldn't figure out how to just reinstall my GPU driver with AMD. Haven't had any issues for 2 weeks now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
ovrlord
Adept I

This is a copy paste of my reliability monitor of what happens during the shutdown.

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎5/‎19/‎2023 7:03 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffd38e4f121050
Parameter 2: fffff8034fa25400
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 4
OS version: 10_0_19045
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

I suggest looking in event viewer for errors to help troubleshoot.

0 Likes

This is what the event viewer had at the time of the failure. I don't think this has any useful info though. I did rollback my windows updates from the latest release but I am only 1/1 successful shutdowns.

"Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered." 

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Display" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>3</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-05-19T11:03:44.1631569Z" />
  <EventRecordID>5727</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>Zodiac</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>amdwddmg</Data>
  <Data />
  </EventData>
  </Event>
0 Likes
ovrlord
Adept I

Ok so the problem is still happening Windows updates were not the problem. I'm about to RMA this crap and go back to Nvidia because no one is helping me or asking for information.

0 Likes

Sorry. I just have no idea what is going on based on errors. I have never heard of this sort of error before, so no real troubleshooting ideas other than igpu interference or power. Based on my experience where i faced similar decision, i returned my 7900xtx before return window closed. Now I just monitor to see if AMD corrects the issue.

0 Likes

If you are using twin rail pci-e cables, try using one socket per cable, that can fix the issue

0 Likes
ovrlord
Adept I

I reset Windows (it uninstalled everything including all drivers and reinstalled windows) This seems to have fixed my problem whatever it was, most likely a corrupted windows install. I couldn't figure out how to just reinstall my GPU driver with AMD. Haven't had any issues for 2 weeks now.

0 Likes