Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Afgin
Adept I

Windows 10 idle freeze problem RX 6900XT

Hello!

So I finally made the leap and upgraded to RX 6900XT.  Didn't go without problems though. So typical for me.

Old card used to be nvidia, and this problem never occurred on it. (uninstalled old drivers with DDU, and installed newest for the 6900xt. Right now on the latest update.)

Now that I changed  the graphics card, it started right away. Windows freezes while being idle. I have never encountered it freezing while gaming or doing stuff on the computer. Then when I leave it just idle for 30min to few hours. It's bound to being frozen when I come back. I have tried putting screen off and hibernation to never on power options, but that doesn't seem to help.

Windows event viewer doesn't give any clues to what might go wrong other than the kernel power failure for obvious reasons, as I have to push the reset button. 

My specs:

MB: Z370 GAMING M5 (MS-7B58) (U3E1)

Ram: Corsair vengeance DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz) 2x 8gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K

OS SSD (m.2): Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Would be awesome if someone had any insight what might be the problem.

I'd rather not make a fresh windows install, but I guess I'll do it if nothing else works. It is such hard work. 

Installing all the music software is a pain in the buttocks.

13 Replies

What psu make/model/year and are you using two separate pcie cables.

You could try an OS usb repair install, option to keep personal files.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Fractal design newton R3 series. 1000w 80PLUS Platinum 

Using the daisy chain pcie cable. Well that is a possibility

I might have a clue what is causing it. 

I have multiple displays setup. 2 monitors and a TV.

Today when I turned on the television, the PC froze instantly. 

I'm gonna use the computer without the TV connection for a while and see how it goes. 

If it still continues, I'm gonna try that usb repair option to see if that helps. 

After that I'm gonna try using 2 pcie cables. 

Thanks for the tips. Now I have something to go along atleast. 

0 Likes

A 2013 psu ?, you should seriously think about upgrading to a more modern ATX/EPS standards psu. 

And connecting 2 separate pcie cables should be the first thing to try.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Got to find the time to rummage the garage for the cables, but I will fix it and use 2 separate cables. 

0 Likes

tell us how it went with that

Rodlawliet man it is looking good. 

I did what you said.

Updated the drivers for LAN and Audio for the motherboard.

Then I put the performance mode on from the power options and so far there haven't been any freezes so far.

I will inform if it turns sour again, but for now it seems I'm in the clear. 

Thanks man.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you had stayed with your old CPU manufacturer. I should have googled for problems before buying my RX5700XT (old GTX970). Now we have to go through it, I have my problems under control as far as possible

0 Likes
rodlawliet
Adept II

When windows freezes, can you move the mouse pointer?, can you click on the start menu and click on programs even if they don't load?, does it let you restart or shut down from the system or do you have to do a forced shutdown?... if the freezing is as I described at the beginning, try configuring the power options in windows, and change from balanced to "high performance", configure so that the hard disk never turns off and if that does not work, try to update the LAN, WIFI or AUDIO drivers to a newer version through your motherboard page or if you have a suite on your motherboard that allows you to update directly from that software, try it and tell me if it keeps freezing, a hug.

It is a total freeze. Mouse pointer wont move, nothing happens. It's like looking at a screenshot

It is confirmed now that it has something to do with the HDMI connection to the television.

I have had multiple freezes now. When I turn on the television, and when the windows refreshes that there are now 3 displays. It either freezes right away or in a while. like during few minutes of it.

0 Likes

I have the exact same problem...  EXACT same problem.

I don't know what to do to fix it, but after testing every other piece of hardware individually, it's confirmed my 6900XT is causing this issue.

Nothing in windows event logs either right before the freeze.

0 Likes

This behavior sounds like Adrenaline is attempting to enable some feature (e.g. FreeSync, ReLive, InputLag) and the display (TV) is not responding etc. Confirm there are no settings to enable any monitor based features on the TV. 

0 Likes

I discovered that one of the main programs that generates freezes in windows 10 is armory crate (in my case I have this program installed because I have an asus Tuf board)... in general, the programs that are to manage the RGB of the components of the PC they usually generate freezes, the ideal is to configure them and not open them anymore, so I managed to prevent my windows 10 from sticking

Jameswalter
Adept I

1. Install the AMD Crimson drivers from AMD which cause the same problem as the Windows Update drivers.

2. Leave the system with only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers installed by default - which are not capable of acceleration meaning even simple programs/games like Minecraft will not run.

0 Likes