cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

juleshoyle
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Windows 10 freezes during boot when Radeon RX 480 is fitted but will start ok in safe mode

Hello AMD community,

I recently purhased the AMD Radeon RX 480 4gb graphics card and have the above problem.

Here is the rest of my spec:

Maximus V Gene mobo, Intel i5 3570K

Corsair Vengence DDR3 16GB

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

PSU: Corsair CX750

Windows 10 64bit (up to date)

I can only get Window to boot in safe mode with the graphics card card inserted. If I try a normal boot windows 10 freezes during boot up (even off line). If I try to install the graphic card using the AMD installer in safe mode (after using the AMD drive cleaner utility) I get the following message; 'Detection driver error. Contact AMD for assistance'. Strangly I have managed to get windows to start normally twice however so I wonder if I have a faulty graphics card.

I sent a message to AMD support a couple of day ago and I am awaiting a reply.

Other possible solutions I have come across are:

1) updating my motherboard bios

2) installing additional micorosoft software such as microsoft .net framework or Visual c++ 2013

I am very knew to PC building so any pointers as to if I am thinking along the correct lines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. Hopefully I will hear back from AMD and will post the outcome.

Jules

0 Kudos
3 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Windows 10 freezes during boot when Radeon RX 480 is fitted but will start ok in safe mode

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves your issue.

1. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

2. Install the latest Crimson 16.8.1 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

samloprenzo
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Windows 10 freezes during boot when Radeon RX 480 is fitted but will start ok in safe mode

I had to reset the winsock catalog to resolve windows 10 freezes

juleshoyle
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thank you very much for your advice amdmatt and samloprenzo. I ran the DDU utility, installed AMD drivers, installed visual c++ 2015 for windows and updated the motherboard bios and this has fixed the problem. I also heard back from AMD customer support who also gave similar advice. Now I can enjoy using my new graphics card!