cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

oirelav93
Journeyman III

windows 10 freeze ( AMD drivers)

Hello!  First of all I apologize in advance for my English.

Few days ago my pc (a clevo notebook with both integrated and dedicated GPU) suddenly got stuck during a gaming session (about half hour with a pretty light game) and the only thing that I could do was shut it down through the power button.

After that, whenever I tried to reboot the pc, I always got a black screen after windows logo and, again, I could only switch it off through power button. 

Only safe mode seemed to work properly, and it was also impossible to restore Windows because it was keeping getting frozen during the process.

So I decided to clean reinstall Windows through a usb, deleting all disk partitions.

After that, Windows booted normally, but when it tried to automatically install my dedicated GPU driver (AMD hd 8970m ) it got stuck again with the same issue. 

I provided a new clean install, I didn't connect my pc to internet and I manually installed all drivers, including Intel integrated GPU, and everything worked properly, but when I tried to install my GPU drivers again, during the process my pc stopped responding.

I noticed that when this problem happen it seems like my HDD is not working anymore (when it is reading or writing something I have a blue light flashing on my notebook case)

I don't think that it is my GPU fault, because with the basic Microsoft driver all works pretty good and I already tested my HDD.

At the end I was able to install all drivers except my AMD GPU.

Ah I tried to install drivers in safe mode, but the AMD installation program said that it could not recognize my hardware.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

0 Likes
3 Replies

This is just my opinion, but it sounds like your AMD GPU card is bad without more information.

What is the exact Make & Model Clevo Laptop do you own?

0 Likes

Hi, the model is PM150SM, I am start thinking it could be the GPU, too... but it is strange because there were no artifacts on the screen or else... all pc just block without any advice.

Also I always check GPU/CPU temperature while I am gaming and when this happened the GPU temperature was 65-70 degrees Celsius.

0 Likes

I couldn't find you model number that starts with PM at Clevo Download page but I believe you meant P150SM. IF this is the case here is the

last VGA Driver which is for Windows 8/8.1 OS: CLEVO Driver Download 

Download Driver
Model :P15xSM-A/P17xSM-A
Driver Type : VGA
TYPEDESCRIPTIONFILENAMEFTP SITEVERSIONSIZE(K)STARTEND
VGAAMD VGA driver (13.151.0.0) for Windows 8.1 64-bit version.AMD.zipUSA
ASIA
EUROPE
2890312014/3/21
VGAnVIDIA VGA driver (9.18.13.4400 & 9.18.13.4491 for GTX 965M only) for Windows 8.1 64-bit version.VGA_N.zipUSA
ASIA
EUROPE
7619592015/1/6
VGAIntel VGA driver (10.18.10.3496) for Windows 8.1 64-bit version.VGA_I.zipUSA
ASIA
EUROPE
1445712014/5/6
VGAnVIDIA GTX860M/GTX870M/GTX880M VGA driver (9.18.13.3304) for Windows 8.1 64-bit version.VGA_GTX.zipUSA
ASIA
EUROPE
3563852014/6/18

Note for download
Newer version of BIOS includes feature and bug fix of all the previous versions. Unless specified in description or readme file, you just need to download and upgrade to the latest version.
You can not and should not use them on other vendor's products.

IF this is your laptop, I would suggest downloading the old VGA driver, unless you updated to Windows 10, and install it and see if it recognizes your Discrete GPU card. Since this is a Clevo VGA driver it should easily recognize and install your GPU card. If it doesn't it might suggest either the GPU card is defective or some other hardware is defective. 

Make sure you make a clean installation and your Windows OS if fully updated via Windows Update.

Note: If possible, if all else fails, open the rear of the laptop and see if you can physically see the GPU card and you are able to remove it. Maybe by removing it and installing again might make it work. But if your laptop is not meant to be opened or the GPU card is not accessible than don't mess with it.  Take it to a repair shop and have them check it out if it isn't expensive.