cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Ugramu
Journeyman III

Windows 10 crash after sleep mode - Update 22.5.1

Hello. I have been using "sleep mode" in Windows 10 since I bought this computer (2+ years ago). The "hybrid sleep" mode is turned off.

The problem: - When I turn on "sleep mode" for the night and in the morning (several hours later) turn on the computer I am welcomed by a BSOD (Blue Screen). The interesting thing is that "sleep mode" don't crash if it's just on for some minutes.

I goggled "Windows 10 crash after sleep mode" and got lot of hits. The two most interesting ones where:

Driver issue, and I quote: "the problem is because of the Graphics drivers. If the recent update has updated your graphics driver with a new version, you will need to rollback the driver. Since the sleep function in Windows is tied closely to your graphics card driver, we need to fix it." Source:  link

PSU issue, and I quote: "Some PSUs, especially older and/or lower build quality units doesn't support CPU C6/C7 sleep states. It manifests as BSoD or black screen on wake up. Here, you have 2x choices: 1. Disable C6/C7 sleep states within BIOS. 2. Buy a new, better build quality PSU that does support CPU C6/C7 sleep states." Source: link

In my specific case the PSU issue is probably not relevant since I have had zero issues with it (ASUS ROG STRIX 550W) so far which leaves us with the potential driver issue.

As of now I have uninstalled the Update 22.5.1 driver with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDC) and downloaded from AMD the latest recommended driver (22.3.1) before the (22.5.1). I don't know if it's relevant to the problem but I am using a AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (I love this card and it has never caused me any problems over the years).

Since I just did the downgrade of the driver (from 22.5.1 down to 22.3.1) I don't know if it fixed the issue (will know later tomorrow), but I am curious if anyone of you have had any Windows 10 crash after sleep mode since update 22.5.1?

The very best regards.

My sleep mode Windows 10 crash diary since driver downgrade from 22.5.1 to 22.3.1

• 2022-05-26, Sleep from 13:15 - 15:30 no issues.
  • 2022-05-27, Sleep from 02.50 - 05.22 no issues.
  • 2022-05-27, Sleep from 05.22 - 09.50 no issues.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Ugramu
Journeyman III

• 2022-05-27, Sleep from 13.00 - 15.45 no issues.
0 Likes

I have now updated to the 22.6.1 drivers to test, and windows 10 crash after sleep mode. However, truth be told, sleep mode is more a quality of life thing than something that is absolutely required but like built in seat warmers in a car, if you have them why not use them.

Anyone else have issues with Windows 10 cashes after sleep mode?

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

I am on 22.3.1 and am staying on it until a better driver is released..

Actually I have never had problems with drivers and usually upgrade every time.. But have stayed where I am this time..

I also never let my PC sleep or switch off the monitor, I just have an old fashioned screen saver..

Years ago I remember problems waking up my PC and never used (sleep) again..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
BoostedBB8
Journeyman III

Okay so I made an account here JUST to reply to this to help someone else hopefully...

So I had the exact problem you mentioned above with everything working perfectly with the graphics card other than resuming from windows standby with a BSOD related to the AMD driver.

I tried your solution of installing 22.3.1 however my GPU is a 6750XT and is not supported by that version because it pre-dates my card. I went for a last ditch effort and installed the PRO driver 22.Q2 dated 5/24/22 hoping that it's based off of the 22.3.1 driver that was released around that time. So far it's working!! I'm on my 3rd successful standby resume - the most recent being from overnight - and all games play smooth. I don't have any heavy titles to test with but so far Halo infinite and COD MW play fine.

Hope this helps someone!