cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rayn0r42
Journeyman III

Will a Radeon 5700 XT run in a 16xPCIe 2.0 slot?

Hi,

my trusty old Radeon 6950 is about to die.
Getting a brand new Radeon 5700 XT as a replacement was my first choice.

The Intel DX58SO mainboard I own is as old as my current GFX card and "only" supports PCIe 2.0.
Despite performance losses, will the Radeon 5700 XT run in my old motherboard?

Thanks...

0 Likes
2 Replies

As PCIe is backwards compatible it will work there, but the question is if your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS, which modern video cards require. Considering that motherboard is 9-11 years old, and does not list Windows 7 or 10 support, I would not trust that card to work with that motherboard. Also if the rest of your system, including the PSU, is of the same age, you will need to do a total system update to use any modern video card.

0 Likes
rayn0r42
Journeyman III

Thank you for the quick reply.

The fact about the graphics card requiring UEFI to be turned on is new to me. Where can I find some insight on this on the net? The information I found so far was not all that clear. Some said GFX cards still support BIOS as fall back. Others said UEFI is required...

btw:

I managed to convert my Win 10 installation from BIOS to UEFI.

DX58SO UEFI.PNG

It was kind of a hassle because mbr2gpt did not work. My D: drive was on a logical partition of the first disk and the user profiles are contained under d:\Users. So mbr2gpt stopped right away.

I had to manually convert the partition table and partitions under Linux, then create an EFI Partition with diskpart from the windows rescue system.

Most difficult part was to get the BCD stuff right.

After booting up, some drive letters had shifted. My former D: was now E:. So I had to re-assign the drive letters to fix this.

I took some time plus an Ubuntu 18.04 USB Stick and an USB stick containing the current install and repair stuff for the 1903 release.

My PSU is brand new with 600W and 2x 8pin connectors for the GFX card.

It looks like I'm ready to give the new card a try...

0 Likes