cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pettrak
Adept I

Why is my 120hz monitor reverting back to 60hz when booting (restart) my PC?

Dear AMD community, i need help with something. I dont find this problem as a very serious problem but its kinda annoying. I have a AOC G2460PF monitor that can reach up to 144hz, but the displayport doesnt work so im using a high-speed HDMI cable to DVI-D Dual Link and i can reach to 120hz with that. Im happy with that, but its that one problem i cant really solve is...

Why is my 120hz monitor reverting back to 60hz when booting (restart) my PC?

When im entering the monitor settings to change my refreshrate back to 120hz, but i cant because the maximum is 60hz... But!

There is a solution to fix this by disconnect the HDMI cable from the graphics card and plug it in again, doesnt work all the time but after some attempts it works, but the problem comes back after booting the PC again. I dont want this to keep happening and i want to have an good experience without struggling with this...

Information and specs:

Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X

CPU: Intel core i5-4690K
Ram: 8GB

Operation system: Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Radeon software version - 17.12.1

Radeon software edition - Adrenalin

graphics circuit - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Memory Size- 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Main Clock- 1000 MHz

Windows-version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System memory - 4 GB

CPU-type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Radeon-settings version - 2017.1206.1740.31787

Driver Packing Version - 17.50.02-171206a-321058C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin

2D driver version - 8.1.1.1634

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01316

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13506

OpenCL™ Version - 23.20.15002.11

AMD Mantle-version - 9.1.10.0237

AMD Mantle API-version - 102400

AMD-audio driver version - 10.0.1.6

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.1

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.65

If someone can give me a fix it would mean alot to me!

-P3TTräk

Patrik

0 Likes
3 Replies
leyvin
Miniboss

I'm confused... why aren't you simply using HDMI?

HDMI 1.3 / 1.4b (which both your Card and your Monitor Support) is capable of 1080p up to 144Hz.

Using HDMI-to-Dual Link DVI just seems like a bizarre extra step, more so given your Card should also have Dual-Link DVI... so I mean alternatively you could just use those instead. Although you'll be limited to 120Hz (well 60Hz Per Link, which is likely why it keeps resetting back to that).

I can understand why it sounds confusing but here's the reason. I'm already using a HDMI cable in the monitor for another device, so i only have a DVI port left, so without switching cables every time when switching to console example. So i plugged the DVI in the monitor and HDMI to the graphics card. But it can be the problem as you said.

I'm planing to buy a new graphics card because i think its something wrong with it. When i'm plugging my display port to my graphics card to monitor, its goes black screen for some couple of seconds and it repeats, it also does snapping noises from my monitor so I'm sure its an critical issue.

So what do you think is the best latest AMD graphics card for around 300 - 400$ ?

I'm playing on 1920x1080 resolution

0 Likes

Ah, I use a HDMI Switcher (UGREEN 3 Port HDMI Switch, HDMI Input Cable Switch Box​)

It's useful to have even with a new Graphics Card.

As for what's available for $300-400,. not entirely sure... AMD doesn't really have anything within that Budget nowadays.

You have the RX 580 (High-End Mainstream) and RX VEGA 56 (Low-End Enthusiast) ... what's between then is the R9 FURY X but that's still price wise essentially as expensive as an RX VEGA 64.

It's a shame there isn't an RX 590.

The RX 580 is an excellent 1080p Card,. with Sapphire being the best AIB Brand (at least at present).

Still I'd wait for the RX 600-Series that will likely launch within the next 6 months... even if they're just refresh / optimisations,. at least you'll be able to get them MSRP, maybe pick up an RX Vega 56 which will provide some futureproofing in performance.

0 Likes