cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

chabandou
Adept I

Why doesn't AMD support for OpenGL??

Why doesn't AMD support for OpenGL, it's so important for so many things, most importantly videogames and emulation which is probably the reason you would buy an GPU..

1 Solution

AMD's OpenGL drivers aren't bad exactly it's just that Nvidia's spend more money on it and of course Nvidia fully support all their own OpenGL extentions which a lot of OpenGL games and apps use. AMD have equivalents for many but they're not always supported well by apps.

Then of course you have the problem that AMD's GPU market share means that many small software companies and indie devs don't even bother to test their software on AMD hardware (same goes for Intel's CPU dominance meaning their IGP's get reasonable support, although that's changing) Plus Nvidia do stick their oar in A LOT with smaller devs going so far as to send teams to them to help "optimize" their software for Nvidia GPUs, AMD just don't have the budget for this.

Where emulators are concerned, most are open source projects run by one or two people, as such they use OpenGL because DirectX isn't free and again they often just don't bother testing with AMD hardware since they simply don't own any. Thankfully most of the better emulators are moving to Vulkan for the same reasons they used to use OpenGL and AMD's GPUs are much better at Vulkan (in part because of Async compute which Nvidia's current GPUs have no real hardware support for and in part because AMD's mainstream GPUs have much more raw compute shader power for example the 1060 has 4.375 Tflops but the 580 has 6.175)

View solution in original post

13 Replies

AMD supports OpenGL & Vulcan.

This from an old article in 12/2017 that indicates that OpenGL and  Vulcan are supported in the AMD Drivers: AMD Adrenalin 17.12.1 Released (OpenGL 4.5/4.6 + Vulkan 1.0.65) – Geeks3D

The OpenGL Drivers are so primitive though they're so bad, When running an OpenGL based emulator I get better preformance using a weak Intel GPU rather than my powerful AMD GPU.

I also heard that they're capable of fixing them but they just don't want to, why?? we need them!

0 Likes

AMD's OpenGL drivers aren't bad exactly it's just that Nvidia's spend more money on it and of course Nvidia fully support all their own OpenGL extentions which a lot of OpenGL games and apps use. AMD have equivalents for many but they're not always supported well by apps.

Then of course you have the problem that AMD's GPU market share means that many small software companies and indie devs don't even bother to test their software on AMD hardware (same goes for Intel's CPU dominance meaning their IGP's get reasonable support, although that's changing) Plus Nvidia do stick their oar in A LOT with smaller devs going so far as to send teams to them to help "optimize" their software for Nvidia GPUs, AMD just don't have the budget for this.

Where emulators are concerned, most are open source projects run by one or two people, as such they use OpenGL because DirectX isn't free and again they often just don't bother testing with AMD hardware since they simply don't own any. Thankfully most of the better emulators are moving to Vulkan for the same reasons they used to use OpenGL and AMD's GPUs are much better at Vulkan (in part because of Async compute which Nvidia's current GPUs have no real hardware support for and in part because AMD's mainstream GPUs have much more raw compute shader power for example the 1060 has 4.375 Tflops but the 580 has 6.175)

Since you mentioned that you are running a OpenGL emulator maybe try posting here at AMD OpenGL/Vulcan Forum. Someone may be able to help you get better performance from your OpenGl emulator: OpenGL & Vulkan

xhuang
Staff

AMD DOES support OpenGL. Actually, this is what I'm working on.

We would try our best to help.

Please post your specific problem in OpenGL & Vulkan .

How do i post there? i couldn't..
Anyway the problem is present in all OpenGL based emulators, Most notebly Citra emulator for the 3DS, where when you run it using an Intel GPU it runs fairly good depending on the GPU but when you ran an AMD GPU even though Way more powerful than the iGPU, the emulator lags horribly and gives nearly 2-5 fps and 15-20% run speed.. knowing that the 3DS games are not graphicly demanding at all..

If you could check out why and fix it that would be great, because it's really saying something about your GPUs and Drivers at the community..

the issue is a bit better when it comes to the other recent Wii U  Emulator "CemU" but it's quite the same problem as well the graphics are very weak compared to Nvidia GPUs..

Best of luck.

0 Likes

@dipak would help to grant the access to you. And please describe your problem specifically and I suggest you follow the guideline to post your problem, that’ll be very efficient way for us to triage the problem and start investigating and we will get you back immediately once we have any progress. Thanks for your reporting again.

--

Best Regards

Shimmer Huang

0 Likes

I'll try to.. But i don't know how else to explain this, you need to try it yourself i guess. when using your GPU even though poweful the emulator won't run that's it..

There's something wrong with the OpenGL drivers, because some users run these emulators on linux with custom drivers and get way better performance out of the AMD GPUs

& dipak​ didn't give me access yet..

0 Likes

May be you have to go through Newcomers Start Here

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I guess not every configuration of laptop with AMD switchable graphics supports OpenGL.

One example: HP Notebook PCs - OpenGL Applications Cannot Use Discrete GPU with Intel + AMD Switchable Graphics |... 

0 Likes
5824balderrama
Journeyman III

Still also having OpenGL issues with my RX 570 when booting up an Emulator or an App as well! And Please fix the Corrupted Drivers too because is still has the problem ok!

0 Likes
lgkiba
Journeyman III

I have problems with a game that uses opengl has a lot of fps fall and I own an Rx 580 but when I used the r9 280x I ran the game better. why does that happen? 

Qanatoz
Challenger

Try Linux drivers with emulators. For me it perform very good.

So much invested in Linux gaming lately. Even Windows only games perform very good.

Used Manjaro. But you can chose your distro for gaming.

0 Likes