cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lonestar1965
Journeyman III

Why can't I create a mixed 3x1 eyefinity + 1 extended monitor setup anymore?

Why can't I create a mixed 3x1 Eyefinity + 1 Extended monitor setup anymore?  I used to be able to use my center 3 (1440p) monitors in Eyefinity mode for gaming, super widescreen pictures, and coding in a super-wide window, while keeping a 4th monitor off to the side for monitoring and keeping an eye on work stuff.  Now, the new drivers (past several releases) force me to put all my monitors into an eyefinity group, which I don't want, and even if I disable my 4th (regular HD) monitor, setting-up an Eyefinity group turns it back on, so I have to unplug it completely, or it makes playing my racing games unbearable (bezels in center of screen, one screen w/lower resolution).  I doubt I was the only one using this feature, but I only see one other person talking about a similar configuration, and his problem never received any responses.  I sent an email directly to AMD support on this, months ago, and never heard back.  I can think of many instances where you'd want some monitors in an Eyefinity group while keeping another monitor separate in Extended mode, like managing presentations, or monitoring work while enjoying a game, and/or super widescreen pictures (what I do with it).  I can't believe they would just remove this functionality and not put it back in yet.  Seriously, that stinks!  They also removed the ability to move a smaller monitor up or down relative to the other monitors in Eyefinity, so I had to stop using my 4th monitor.  The sad thing is that I had this setup working fine for years, and on a 290X 4GB, and now I have a rx580 8GB that still chokes sometimes, and the drivers took away this mixed mode functionality (and my newer card doesn't work well with the older drivers that supported it).  Any suggestions, anyone?  Anyone from AMD paying attention here?

5 Replies
michaelcsikos
Journeyman III

I also want to be able to run a 2x2 video wall with 4 TVs in one Eyefinity group, and have a fifth screen for a presenter to use. What was the last driver version where this worked?

0 Likes
michaelcsikos
Journeyman III

I have gone back to 18.5.1 which allows these advanced configurations. See this thread Cannot Customize eyefinity Setup With Version 18.9.3 What's going ON?

0 Likes
husse
Adept I

Same thing here. I have to unplug 4th monitor or when I’m using that 4th monitor only I have unplug my sim rigs 3 monitor cables. Also latest firmware  doesn’t allow using Eyefinity at 144Hz mode, only 60Hz.  Very annoying.

0 Likes
nolive721
Adept I

and I thought I was alone. Same problem here, I am going to try this solution to uninstall drivers and go back to 18.5.1 but that is disappointing to have to do that for what is a very useful feature for people having multple display connected to the same card.

I am surprised that no more voices have raised to get it back in newest drivers.

0 Likes

answering my own reply

I decided to do a full DDU, clean install of 19.9.2 drivers then create the Eyefinity 3 monitor Group at first, without plugging in the TV then finally get it connected to the GPU HDMI and all of a sudden, worked as intended.
I can switch between the 2 display (3 monitors vs single TV) through Windows+P combination so problem solved and happy now