cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

futurefaxer
Journeyman III

Who's still making 6800/6900/XT reference designs?

An AMD spokesperson stated that production of RDNA2 reference designs would continue into 2021, but did not say which brands would produce them. Like many of us, I've been closely watching inventory across multiple channels in hopes of buying a card. But while I see the Red Devil, Nitro+, Merc 319, etc. drop fairly often (relatively speaking), I haven't seen AIB-made reference cards appear in a long time. Have the AIBs discontinued production of their reference models?

0 Likes
4 Replies
futurefaxer
Journeyman III

Pushing this to the top. I'd like someone from AMD to provide clarity on this matter. If the AIBs already stopped making reference cards, I'll need to return the water blocks I bought, since they won't work for custom boards.

0 Likes

Well, you see, your problem is that you bought waterblocks before the GPU. NEVER buy addons before base hardware. It also depends on where you live - in my country ref designs are available from ASUS, Sapphire and PowerColor, albeit at scalped prices. Guess it sucks 2 be u. 

0 Likes

@EFermi You say that like it's easy to get either. Of course I bought the blocks as soon as I could. If I hadn't, I'd be waiting for them to restock, too.

@Thanny Unfortunately, Alphacool's fitment guide says otherwise.

My own issue regarding water blocks isn't the only reason I'm asking this. AMD promised more reference cards in Q1. Since the AIB designs are dramatically more expensive, I think consumers deserve to know if they're waiting for something that isn't coming.

0 Likes

Some AIB cards are compatible.  The Sapphire Nitro+, for example, works with the Alphacool reference water block.  Check with the maker of the blocks for compatible cards.